Opinion of the following statement (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:27:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the following statement (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Opinion of the following statement  (Read 1714 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: May 22, 2006, 03:35:18 PM »

Roosevelt's four freedoms.

I generally agree, though I have some reservations about the way "freedom from want" could be interpreted.  Liberal groups would love to claim that this means people are entitled to a certain standard of living, even if they refuse to work, and that I oppose.

Extreme interpretations of well-intended philosophies, mostly by liberals, has caused our society tremendous harm.

dazzleman, the owning class all 'refuse to' work.  I should think if leisure is so objectionable to you, you would be objecting to those who have the power to command it, not the powerless workers.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:47:44 PM »

dazzleman, the owning class all 'refuse to' work.

So all those rich executives who make millions aren't doing any work at all? This just sit there at their desks all day goofing off rather than doing anything business related?

They may do something akin to 'work', Dibble, but that is unrelated to my post.  I was referring to the owners, not their well paid lackeys. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »

So all those rich executives who make millions aren't doing any work at all? This just sit there at their desks all day goofing off rather than doing anything business related?

They may do something akin to 'work', Dibble, but that is unrelated to my post.  I was referring to the owners, not their well paid lackeys. 

You mean Bill Gates? You know, the guy who works a lot at Microsoft? People like him? Or maybe you mean the multi-millionaire CEO at the company I work at - he owns the place, seems to come in and work regularly.

There is no reason for him to do so, Dibble.  The real worker is forced to come to work or starve.  Wealthy who play the dilletante for their own amusement are hardly under the same category.  And besides, I assure you, there are very many rich who do not engage in even the pretense of 'work'.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »

You mean Bill Gates? You know, the guy who works a lot at Microsoft? People like him? Or maybe you mean the multi-millionaire CEO at the company I work at - he owns the place, seems to come in and work regularly.

There is no reason for him to do so, Dibble.  The real worker is forced to come to work or starve.  Wealthy who play the dilletante for their own amusement are hardly under the same category.  And besides, I assure you, there are very many rich who do not engage in even the pretense of 'work'.

Now you're just trying to dodge the fact that you were proven wrong, as what you have just stated has nothing to do with your original assertion. Your initial assertion was that all members of the owning class refuse to work - therefore, by providing an example of at least one owner who works, I have disproven your assertion.

Dibble, the point was, if you would try to understand rather than simply nitpick, that the leisure class in the US is the owning class, not some mythical man on the dole.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:41:43 PM »

If he doesn't have to work, yet does, your assertion that the owning class refuses to work is disproven anyway.

The point is that they do not have to work at all - that is the purpose of the system!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies