Do you believe in the innate benevolence of mankind?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:20:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you believe in the innate benevolence of mankind?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you believe in the innate benevolence of mankind?
Yes/Libertarian

No/Libertarian

Yes/Populist

No/Populist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Do you believe in the innate benevolence of mankind?  (Read 2350 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 02:57:30 AM »

No/Libertarian

Unfortunately, human history shows that we are cruel to each other far more than we are kind. I wish it weren't true but it is. Its survival of the fittest I suppose, and there is no room in that scenario for helping others along.

And I voted Libertarian b/c I consider myself a libertarian on social issues.

I should have provided other options then.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »

No/Libertarian

Unfortunately, human history shows that we are cruel to each other far more than we are kind. I wish it weren't true but it is. Its survival of the fittest I suppose, and there is no room in that scenario for helping others along.

Keep in mind that history doesn't tend to show kind acts because they don't quite have the same effect on the order of things. It's the same reason you don't see kind acts on the news much - a person giving $200 to charity doesn't really affect people the same as that person shooting someone would. So, history and the media aren't exactly accurate measures of kindness vs. cruelty. That said, I once again must state I don't believe humans overall are naturally inclined to either good or evil - if we were we wouldn't see the oppossite of our inclinations much at all.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »

The root word of wealth is well. Wealth therefore means wellness. In societies based on money, money becomes equated with wellness.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...I don't see how this follows...
[/quote]

Who wouldn't want more wellness? Particularly if you can keep it and hold on to it.

And I certainly don't see how this follows.
[/quote]

When the amount of money is finite, and people want as much as they can get, then there simply isn't enough to go around. Every gain on your part is a loss on someone else's part.

Wouldn't the very first statement be true in any given system in which anyone is capable of owning anything at all?
[/quote]

No. Money (and possessions) need not equate to wellness.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 08:08:02 PM »

No - conservative. I'm neither populist nor libertarian and if I had to choose one I don't know who I'd pick. Flip a coin.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2005, 04:43:13 AM »

No/Libertarian

And I voted Libertarian b/c I consider myself a libertarian on social issues.

I should have provided other options then.

No I liked your poll the way it was, libertarian/populist. It forces people to choose a side, one that they may not be used to. As I said on some issues I'm libertarian, but I don't consider myself to be one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies