Is Bernie finished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:13:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Bernie finished?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 132

Author Topic: Is Bernie finished?  (Read 5279 times)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 06:30:59 AM »

I feel a little sorry for the Sandernistas. Their mommy and daddy can't fix this for them. But I heard there's a cool café where they sell only breakfast cereal opening up so there's somewhere you can go to totally geek out on the 90's and remember all those cereal commercials. And keep those Bernie t-shirts. You can wear them all ironically in 2019.

I really do wonder what it is about irrelevant presidential candidates that make good posters foam at the mouth.

I wouldn't give Bernie the time of day it wasn't for his supporters Smiley

Ah. Given some of the people on this forum, I can definitely see where you're coming from.

This forum isn't even one of the worst places for it. It's a refuge in comparison.

Daily Kos has a post right now about how Clinton won "only" 58% of her home state. (Never mind that she's also won 58% of her home country.) Surprisingly it has no recommendations, but the berniebros are probably still sleeping it off.

Plus, that excuse doesn't even work when you consider that New York isn't her home state per se.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »

Yes it's over. He has no path for victory.

Agreed here.

Sanders wasn't "done" on Super Tuesday.  He's won a lot of states, and that gets people's attention, but he had to win NY to have a chance to (A) narrow the delegate gap, and (B) show the stuff to impress those superdelegates who are "party animals" that aren't totally in the tank for Hillary.

This didn't happen.  The superdelegates, all of them, are leaning toward Hillary because Sanders isn't really a Democrat, isn't vested in the Democratic Party beyond the Democratic caucus in the Senate, and hasn't done much for other Democratic elected officials.  Hillary is all about party, and that's appreciated; as guarded and phony as she is, she does care about whether other Democrats win because she knows she'll need cover and spear-carriers to succeed if she's elected.  The superdelegates note Sanders's popularity in head-to-head polls, but they also are folks that are not likely to cozy up to a "Rage Against The Machine" candidate.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2016, 07:27:40 AM »

He did, but it became "lean over" after out of early states all but one (NH) voted for Hillary, and his viable path to defeat disappeared after an early March primaries. The primary schedule always favored Hillary (with the entire South already voting and playing a large part in providing her with a lead in delegates).

Well, of course theoretically it's not over until she reached the magic number, and it's even more theoretically not over until she's formally nominated, but barring a major scandal breaking before that point or her (not very likely) death, Bernie has no viable path to victory.

Of course. My point is saying that we know how elections will turn out is different from saying that elections have already taken place. For example, I wouldn't say that Richard Shelby has already won his 2016 re-election.

Also, I'm annoyed at how some people have declared this race "over" every time Clinton wins a primary.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »

I think so.  I was pretty sure he would get the nomination, but I think Clinton is getting it.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 08:06:09 AM »

I don't think Clinton will get a majority of delegates before June 7, but after tonight she is the likely nominee. If next week is a tie in delegates, that will not be good news for Sanders, and I don't forsee him doing much better than a tie, and he certainly could do worse. So, it isn't literally over, but Clinton is the likely nominee and Trump may be the likely nominee, which means based on current polls Clinton is likely to be the next POTUS.

For the Democrats to hold the White House for more than eight years is historically rare.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »

Not unless Clinton gets pardoned by Obama for corruption/treason.  I think the Dems should think hard about this. Impeachment a very real possibility.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »

Bernie won't be finished until the delegates vote. As for his chances of winning the nomination, he was DOA anyway. That it's taken this long for Clinton to put this away says more about her weaknesses than Bernie's strengths.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »

Over? Not yet, but very close to being over, she needs a few more wins next week and it will basically be officially over than.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2016, 09:24:01 AM »

All Sanders' supporters need to do is convince Clinton voters that they should stay home.
They won't do that because they know Sanders still has a chance and will until June 7th (more than likely). If he has even a 1% chance (obviously a conservative estimate) then it's not mathematically over. Clinton supporters know this and are going to vote, but to argue that Sanders has a zero percent chance is to argue that Clinton supporters should stay home, which they are not doing and therefore are not being 100% honest.

If Clinton wants to win in November she can stop attacking Sanders any time, but she is not doing this. If Sanders attacks Clinton, it's not necessarily personal, it's (unfortunately) seen as the way to win. It might be ok for him to focus more on a positive message, of course. So I have no problem if they kiss and make up. You can blame both sides, but if you blame only one side, you are not sincere in wishing for a united party. Although I have said that I think Sanders is being premature if not unrealistic to be focusing on super delegates who are not likely to switch right now. He should wait until after June 7.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »

Yep. No path to the nomination anymore. I just don't see it.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2016, 09:49:52 AM »

All Sanders' supporters need to do is convince Clinton voters that they should stay home.
They won't do that because they know Sanders still has a chance and will until June 7th (more than likely). If he has even a 1% chance (obviously a conservative estimate) then it's not mathematically over. Clinton supporters know this and are going to vote, but to argue that Sanders has a zero percent chance is to argue that Clinton supporters should stay home, which they are not doing and therefore are not being 100% honest.

If Clinton wants to win in November she can stop attacking Sanders any time, but she is not doing this. If Sanders attacks Clinton, it's not necessarily personal, it's (unfortunately) seen as the way to win. It might be ok for him to focus more on a positive message, of course. So I have no problem if they kiss and make up. You can blame both sides, but if you blame only one side, you are not sincere in wishing for a united party. Although I have said that I think Sanders is being premature if not unrealistic to be focusing on super delegates who are not likely to switch right now. He should wait until after June 7.

He shouldn't do anything after June 7 except drop out because trying to win a nomination when someone else has already won a a majority of pledged delegates is a crappy thing to do.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »

It's been over for a while. Meanwhile, in a faraway land. . . (r/sandersforpresident)
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I found where the Sanders hacks were.

Got a real mathematician in that first quote. And a kid who just learned what SQL is last week and wanted to show off.

Those two have a bright future as political analysts for TYT.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »

He shouldn't do anything after June 7 except drop out because trying to win a nomination when someone else has already won a a majority of pledged delegates is a crappy thing to do.

The idea that Bernie's going to lose on pledged delegates but win on superdelegates is killing me.  Superdelegates were only created in the first place to stop candidates like Bernie.  I don't know what he thinks he's going to do to get them on his side -- threaten to tell their constituents that their representatives are "denying the will of the people" by voting for the winner of the election?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »

Of course he is, Doesn't mean he will admit it though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »

He was finished some time ago.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2016, 01:56:11 PM by tmc »

I feel a little sorry for the Sandernistas. Their mommy and daddy can't fix this for them. But I heard there's a cool café where they sell only breakfast cereal opening up so there's somewhere you can go to totally geek out on the 90's and remember all those cereal commercials. And keep those Bernie t-shirts. You can wear them all ironically in 2019.

I really do wonder what it is about irrelevant presidential candidates that make good posters foam at the mouth.

I wouldn't give Bernie the time of day it wasn't for his supporters Smiley

Ah. Given some of the people on this forum, I can definitely see where you're coming from.

This forum isn't even one of the worst places for it. It's a refuge in comparison.
I know there are a number of Clinton supporters here who aren't jerks, but there are certainly
a number here who are as smug, sanctimonious, and closed minded as many Trump supporters are.

Their haughty superiority to Sanders and his rational supporters is mind numbing, to say the least.

I don't like all Sanders supporters, but most of them are reasonable, well informed, moral people, if a little overly passionate and idealistic at times.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »

He was finished on March 15th. His winning streak afterwards gave the reddit crowd some hope though.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2016, 02:13:26 PM »

He was finished before it began. He never had a chance to win. He's just in it to get his message out to the public. He'll remain in as long as he has the money
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »

I've been saying all along he needs to get to 2026. Super delegates are not going to help him if he doesn't.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2016, 02:49:01 PM »

Not unless Clinton gets pardoned by Obama for corruption/treason.  I think the Dems should think hard about this. Impeachment a very real possibility.

ayy lmao
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2016, 05:21:49 PM »

He did, but it became "lean over" after out of early states all but one (NH) voted for Hillary, and his viable path to defeat disappeared after an early March primaries. The primary schedule always favored Hillary (with the entire South already voting and playing a large part in providing her with a lead in delegates).

Well, of course theoretically it's not over until she reached the magic number, and it's even more theoretically not over until she's formally nominated, but barring a major scandal breaking before that point or her (not very likely) death, Bernie has no viable path to victory.

Sanders should never have run, all he has done is waste a massive amount of money on a campaign that was never going to work. Lots of the republicans should never have run either for exactly the same reason. They are just ego driven deluded fcukheads.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2016, 05:24:47 PM »

Elizabeth Warren should have ran instead of Bernie Sanders.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »

This is why democracy is such a failure and I hate it. Every no hoper can run and every idiot gets a vote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2016, 05:25:59 PM »

It looks like Bernie will stay-in and keep trying all the way until the convention.
But I think Hillary will exceed the delegates she needs, and Sanders will not "fight" or start trouble at the convention.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies