DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:15:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271469 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« on: January 06, 2021, 08:53:36 PM »

Can we finally ban people like Fuzzy for spreading propaganda that leads to people doing what we saw today?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »

I just keep thinking how the midterms and 2024 will look for the GOP after today.

Don't expect a Democratic landslide. Much of the Republican base approves of what happened today, and we saw how 2020 turned out. But I think that the Democrats, if they turnout at high rates like they did last year and for the Georgia runoffs, stand a good chance of holding their ground and overcoming the Republicans in the next two election cycles.

Basically my thoughts are in states where Republicans are reliant on suburban support like Az, GA, and TX this won't go too well for them, but in like WI and IA they rely on rural, so this'll have little impact there

I don't want to hear anyone say I'm too "condescending" toward these people ever again.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 09:19:06 PM »

If you don't have Green Line on ignore, you're doing the forum a disfavor.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 09:21:39 PM »

WILL MITT ROMNEY SWITCH PARTIES???
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 09:49:52 PM »

Did it occur to anyone to decontaminate the chambers before the (mostly elderly) members of congress returned to the floor? Most people in there weren't wearing masks and we're still in the middle of a health crisis.
Most of them right now can honestly go f••• themselves, especially the ones with an R right now. Our security is more important than theirs

If you're going to make a partisan issue out of this, imagine the impact this can potentially have on the party makeup given how narrow D control is.

More elections right now doesn't bother me.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 10:43:47 PM »

How, after six years of this man, could anyone be surprised?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 10:51:07 PM »

Removing him would be looked back on, in fifty years, as the best thing to ever happen to heal this nation.  And, from a purely political perspective, it would be the start of the climb out of the pit for the GOP.

Do it!

JOE BIDEN 47!
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »

DOGEBOMB

no freaking way.  more than half of these thugs are literally voting to object to Biden's clear win.
The house only needs a 50%+1 majority. Senate Republicans are pissed, he cost them their majority and then endangered their lives to preserve himself.

They endangered our lives to preserve him. F them all.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 11:21:38 PM »

Coons killed it.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 12:00:52 AM »

BTFO!!!
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 12:15:15 AM »

Democrats need to find "creative" methods of punishing Trump's supporters moving forward.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 12:30:01 AM »

Democrats need to find "creative" methods of punishing Trump's supporters moving forward.

HB--169 The Missouri Road Removal Act

SB 173 Selling Central and Northern Pennsylvania to Russia Act

HB 211 Put Los Angeles County in Texas Act
SB 223 Establishment of Rural Occupation Zones Act

How about US Code 3312-8 Republican Removal Act?

We can name the state of Oklahoma "Republican Territory".
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 12:44:48 AM »

Police reportedly arresting Trump supporters attempting to check back into their hotels, lmao

Not even a hint of irony. Trump supporters are such smooth brains.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 01:01:11 AM »

The title of the thread says 4 dead- who are the other 3?

Morbidly obese Trumpers who had medical issues from what I've heard.

Like heart attacks or something?
As far as I can suss out: one fell off the capitol steps, one got flashbanged and had a heart attack, and one accidentally tased himself and had a heart attack.
Accidentally tasing yourself causing a heart attack is certainly an interesting way to go out.

Fitting for this group, no?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 01:55:35 AM »

Steve Cohen (D-TN) just outright called Trump a “narcissistic sociopath” who has “no redeeming values” and it’s a “disgrace for America” that he even exists in our borders, says he should be removed immediately.

Between this and Toomey calling him a lying demagogue, seems like Congress is just taking the gloves off, saying everything they’ve wanted to for 4 years. It’s cathartic, I gotta say.

Cohen has never kept his gloves on lol. He told Blackburn to jump off a bridge 2 years ago.

He's worked hard to earn his seat and done a damn good job.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 02:31:03 AM »

I have literally been waiting for the moment Donald Trump is officially a LOSER since he came down that f--king escalator in June 2015. That will happen the moment Vermont's electors are certified. These Republican assholes just keep dragging it out longer and longer, and every second that goes by just ensures more and more I will NEVER vote for someone in their party EVER no matter what. That might sound like an empty threat but I bet I'm not quite alone among people my age.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 03:54:17 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2021, 09:39:48 AM by TexasGurl »

Do you have anything remotely meaningful or productive to say or is this it?

If so, SAD!

It feels like Australia happens to be the one country that happens to have a worse median poster here than the median US poster. Honestly not surprising though.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 09:07:40 PM »

DING DONG

Yeah, Betsy DeVos and family are sooo opposed to violence. Roll Eyes
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 10:50:18 PM »

Saying all Trump supporters support the despicable crap from yesterday is just as bad as saying all Biden voter support looting/rioting and antifa.  The broad generalizations are not fair to either side, so cut the shiit.

Not even remotely comparable, but nice try.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 09:50:28 PM »

I have to say I'm pretty uncomfortable with Google / Apple play store removing Parler from their downloads (in Apple's case, threatening removal in 24 hours). I think these tech companies may be flexing their muscles too much here.

Free market. Let the rednecks learn to code and build their own platform to spout bullsh**t from. It's all feeding this conspiracy nonsense. They use out of context memes as "I'd die for this" evidence and I'm over it.

I'm not a huge fan of the free market, but even taking into account that bad faith argument: Google is a huge monopoly and has almost total control over their market. How the hell is anything supposed to compete with Apple or Google?

And the problem is not even that Google is a business monopoly either. It would be one thing if they had a monopoly in wheat or Christmas trees, but their monopoly allows them to control how people think and behave.

Which is strange to me. Who uses google for anything other than as a shortcut to find a Wikipedia article? Even youtube, who actually clicks on ads or video recommendations?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 10:04:32 PM »

I have to say I'm pretty uncomfortable with Google / Apple play store removing Parler from their downloads (in Apple's case, threatening removal in 24 hours). I think these tech companies may be flexing their muscles too much here.

Free market. Let the rednecks learn to code and build their own platform to spout bullsh**t from. It's all feeding this conspiracy nonsense. They use out of context memes as "I'd die for this" evidence and I'm over it.

I'm not a huge fan of the free market, but even taking into account that bad faith argument: Google is a huge monopoly and has almost total control over their market. How the hell is anything supposed to compete with Apple or Google?

And the problem is not even that Google is a business monopoly either. It would be one thing if they had a monopoly in wheat or Christmas trees, but their monopoly allows them to control how people think and behave.

Which is strange to me. Who uses google for anything other than as a shortcut to find a Wikipedia article? Even youtube, who actually clicks on ads or video recommendations?

Like hundreds of millions of people.

Probably the same subset of people who don't have an avatar. 🤷
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2021, 02:08:58 AM »

Indeed. And it's important to note that fascist coups historically have not had the support of a majority of the population. In the last free and fair elections under the Weimar Republic, the NSDAP received roughly a third of the overall popular vote. The fact that anywhere from 10% to 20% of adults nationwide believe a violent assault on the U.S. Capitol was justified is a grave commentary on the state of the republic. That is why I am pushing back so hard against the suggestion that we shouldn't equate Trump's actions with what most Republicans support. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if Republicans say they support these actions or not. If they are still willing to vote for the perpetrators of Wednesday's attacks, then we have every reason to believe that this will happen again, and next time with better planning and support. We need to take very seriously the reality that a significant number of Americans support a fascist coup against their own government —and we need to do everything in our power to ensure that number does not continue to grow.
If we want to avoid a larger percentage willing to do destructive things, we have to consider how not to act, how not to further radicalize potential stormers of Capitol buildings.
And that's the prism I primarily look at in regards to this.
It's not helpful to unduly give Trump fans reason to feel persecuted to a degree this thing might happen again and the numbers willing to participate grow.

Tim this is months too late at this point. We have reached the point where we need to put a stop to this insanity. The disinformation needs to be stopped now, the people pushing it need to be held accountable and it must be made very clear that we will never tolerate this kind of behavior here, ever again.

Look, I'm down to endure decades of losing elections and missing out on my preferred policy ideas as long as free and fair elections, that treat every voter equally are the driving engine. Whatever your political perspective is, having a society where the people decide is of utmost importance. I've long advocated for DC statehood and an end to taxation without representation. This whole debacle has shown that DC's inability to call its own National Guard is problematic. These people need and deserve representation no matter how they vote.

Political parties shouldn't control who votes. They should adapt to winning the "equally created" population they are sworn to represent under the principle of one person, one vote. Anything else is a recipe for division.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2021, 02:11:18 AM »

Indeed. And it's important to note that fascist coups historically have not had the support of a majority of the population. In the last free and fair elections under the Weimar Republic, the NSDAP received roughly a third of the overall popular vote. The fact that anywhere from 10% to 20% of adults nationwide believe a violent assault on the U.S. Capitol was justified is a grave commentary on the state of the republic. That is why I am pushing back so hard against the suggestion that we shouldn't equate Trump's actions with what most Republicans support. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if Republicans say they support these actions or not. If they are still willing to vote for the perpetrators of Wednesday's attacks, then we have every reason to believe that this will happen again, and next time with better planning and support. We need to take very seriously the reality that a significant number of Americans support a fascist coup against their own government —and we need to do everything in our power to ensure that number does not continue to grow.
If we want to avoid a larger percentage willing to do destructive things, we have to consider how not to act, how not to further radicalize potential stormers of Capitol buildings.
It's not helpful to unduly give Trump fans reason to feel persecuted to a degree this thing might happen again and the numbers willing to participate grow.

Tim this is months too late at this point. We have reached the point where we need to put a stop to this insanity. The disinformation needs to be stopped now, the people pushing it need to be held accountable and it must be made very clear that we will never tolerate this kind of behavior here, ever again.
Did I ever say that I didn't support locking up those who rioted in the Capitol, and didn't support pressing charges against Trump aides? Jesus Christ...
You didn't say those things from what I can tell. What you did say was an argument for appeasement. "If we punish the treason, they'll only get worse." We are past the point of appeasement being viable, which is why even NCY says we have to nip this in, not the bud, but the flower. No more seeds.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 02:17:27 AM »

Did I ever say that I didn't support locking up those who rioted in the Capitol, and didn't support pressing charges against Trump aides? Jesus Christ...
You didn't say those things from what I can tell. What you did say was an argument for appeasement. "If we punish the treason, they'll only get worse." We are past the point of appeasement being viable, which is why even NCY says we have to nip this in, not the bud, but the flower. No more seeds.

You and the others clearly missed this post of mine:
My proposition is charging the rioters involved in what happened for actions they actually did, and more or less stopping there*. If that means individual rioter X gets 10 years in prison due to a Trump EO, then so be it.
Regardless though, we need to continue protect legitimate activism on both the left and right and stand by our Bill of Rights. And at no point whatsoever should we give off the impression that the mere act of being a Trump supporter is being penalized.
*=Trump aides involved can also be sued and charged no problem
Which is literally on the previous page.

I did miss that post, which seems reasonable to me. I only object to the idea that we should tip-toe around "further radicalizing" people who have no interest in democracy. It's a tough problem to tackle and I think we all agree on that. At some point you have to draw the line and frankly, we have passed that point. Enough is enough.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »

Everyone should read this.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies