TX-SEN: True to Form
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:08:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN: True to Form
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 68
Author Topic: TX-SEN: True to Form  (Read 159174 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 18, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »

That's a lot of money in one month:

Ok yeah Beto is definitely going to beat Cruz in money, question is if his message will resonate in the Suburbs of TX.

He will do better than Hillary in the suburbs/urban areas of TX. The question is how much better? Rural TX is probably not swinging much at all to Beto given how polarized it is (it isn't like rural WI).

Beto is likely winning the money race for money going directly to candidates, but will definitely loose the outside expenditures, by a lot especially since he refuses pac money. Outside spending is signifigant for TV advertisements.

I mean Ann Kirkpatrick outraged John McCain a for a couple financial quarters from what I remember(which should not have happened given McCain's name rec and prestige) however McCain got tons in outside spending, he's outside groups spent something like 10 million against Kelli Ward to paint her as a conspiracist.

At some point it does not matter. Connor Lamb was out spent in his race 2-1, but it was almost 50-50 parity on what was aired due to laws that give candidates discounts and other advantages.
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #326 on: May 18, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »

Boooo

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #327 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »

Boooo

I'm wondering which poll source it will be because its accuracy surely depends on it if it takes so long before publishing it.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2018, 12:43:44 AM »

Maybe they are waiting because they want to check the status after the shooting?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »

I will say it's super-weird that I haven't seen a single yardsign or bumper sticker for Lyin' Ted even when driving around really Republican areas. Every GOP sign is either for Trump, House candidates, or some local judge.
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »

I will say it's super-weird that I haven't seen a single yardsign or bumper sticker for Lyin' Ted even when driving around really Republican areas. Every GOP sign is either for Trump, House candidates, or some local judge.
He's probably waiting until Labor Day to start campaigning there's no need to start campaigning this early when you are already the incumbent
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2018, 03:33:27 PM »

He's probably waiting until Labor Day to start campaigning there's no need to start campaigning this early when you are already the incumbent

So it gives enough time for O’Rourke to campaign in all the four corners of Texas and to connect with voters. So I guess such a move by Ted Cruz could be suicidal.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #332 on: May 21, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »

Back home, in TX-03, I’ve yet to see any signs for Cruz, Abbott, or Van Taylor, but I’ve seen a few for Lorie Burch *and* Sam Johnson (a Democrat in the runoff, not the incumbent Representative) and a few for Beto. My precinct voted for Trump by a convincing (but weaker than 2012) margin.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #333 on: May 22, 2018, 07:14:34 AM »

TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #334 on: May 22, 2018, 07:19:16 AM »

Beto losing by >10 would qualify as surprising. Or Cruz tying with Hispanics.

(Yes I'm prepared for the worst.)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2018, 07:23:25 AM »

Back home, in TX-03, I’ve yet to see any signs for Cruz, Abbott, or Van Taylor, but I’ve seen a few for Lorie Burch *and* Sam Johnson (a Democrat in the runoff, not the incumbent Representative) and a few for Beto. My precinct voted for Trump by a convincing (but weaker than 2012) margin.

Well TX-03 is a open seat, so no surprise you won't see incumbent signs.

Also, I'm going to suspect the surprise is high numbers on gun control. The poll went back into the field post-shooting, so they could have polled peoples reaction to that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »

Cruz only beat a nobody who didn't campaign by 16 points, in a relatively neutral year when TX was considerably more Republican than it currently is. Cruz isn't beating an actual opponent who is matching his fundraising and campaigning all over the state by 10+ this year.

I don't think Beto wins, but I have his performance range at -6 +-2...that is to say, I think he loses by somewhere between 4 (in a phenomenal Democratic night) and 8 points, and I expect the result to be right around losing by 6.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #337 on: May 22, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »

Well TX-03 is a open seat, so no surprise you won't see incumbent signs.

The preceding poster meant that one of the Dems in the runoff in TX-03, Sam Johnson (who just lost), shared the same name as the many-term GOP incumbent there, Sam Johnson, who is retiring this year.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »

Cruz only beat a nobody who didn't campaign by 16 points, in a relatively neutral year when TX was considerably more Republican than it currently is. Cruz isn't beating an actual opponent who is matching his fundraising and campaigning all over the state by 10+ this year.

I don't think Beto wins, but I have his performance range at -6 +-2...that is to say, I think he loses by somewhere between 4 (in a phenomenal Democratic night) and 8 points, and I expect the result to be right around losing by 6.

Yeah, people seem to forget that Cruz's margin against a some dude with no money wasn't exactly impressive. And this was before Cruz was as hated by Democrats and relatively disliked among independents as he is now.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2018, 01:45:13 AM »

Surprised no one posted the actual poll:

Cruz 47, Beto 40

From what I can gather this is quite impressive for Beto but not 'Scott Walker "we need to wake up"' impressive. If this was TN or CO or another more elastic state I'd be willing to say Beto is within striking distance. As this is Texas, however, I can't help but think that even a perfect storm would leave Beto 3-4 points short; not because he's somehow inadequate, more because those last few points are particularly sticky for a Texas Dem.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2018, 07:03:33 AM »

Cruz 47, Beto 40

From what I can gather this is quite impressive for Beto but not 'Scott Walker "we need to wake up"' impressive. If this was TN or CO or another more elastic state I'd be willing to say Beto is within striking distance. As this is Texas, however, I can't help but think that even a perfect storm would leave Beto 3-4 points short; not because he's somehow inadequate, more because those last few points are particularly sticky for a Texas Dem.

TN is one of the most inelastic states in the country; Bredesen is just that strong a candidate.  Bredesen is extremely popular with old, rural white voters who were blue-dogs until 2010 or so.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »

... which would indicate a degree of elasticity, no?

I'm not going to die on this hill. You're right that there are more elastic states than TN, though one wonders if the upheavals of the past few years (AL-Sen, 2016 Pres in MI/PA) indicate a need a redefine just what we consider 'in/elastic' in the first place.
JG

« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »

Cruz 47, Beto 40

According to a 2012 538 article, Texas and Tennessee are very close in term of elasticity and they are middle of the road compared to the rest of the states. Of course, this may have changed in the past few years.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/swing-voters-and-elastic-states/
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #343 on: May 27, 2018, 04:30:42 PM »

Lying Ted Cruz up to his old tricks again:

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #344 on: May 27, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »

Lyin Ted is trying to give O'Rourke a chance.
JG

« Reply #345 on: May 27, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »

Is it me or it's a terrible strategy to get people to fund your campaign?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #346 on: May 27, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »

Nobody likes to receive mail that says "summons".  If I got something like that, it would incline me against voting for whoever sent it (regardless of their party).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #347 on: May 27, 2018, 05:15:28 PM »

Nobody likes to receive mail that says "summons".  If I got something like that, it would incline me against voting for whoever sent it (regardless of their party).

This
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #348 on: May 27, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »

This
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #349 on: May 27, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »

Everything about Ted Cruz is terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies