Death Penalty decision imminent for Boston Bomber (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:13:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Death Penalty decision imminent for Boston Bomber (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death Penalty decision imminent for Boston Bomber  (Read 4702 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: January 29, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »

Good.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »

I will be disgusted if he doesn't get the death penalty when he is found guilty.

Nice to know you're on basically the same level as him then.

Yeah, wanting a terrorist who killed 3 people and blowed the limbs off dozens of others to be put to death makes you as bad as him. Because clearly, he's just as innocent as his victims. What a horrible post.

Besides, I thought the main argument against the death penalty was that someone could eventually be exonerated if they had life in prison as opposed to death. There's no ambiguity here. Hang em high.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »

I will be disgusted if he doesn't get the death penalty when he is found guilty.

Nice to know you're on basically the same level as him then.

Yeah, wanting a terrorist who killed 3 people and blowed the limbs off dozens of others to be put to death makes you as bad as him. Because clearly, he's just as innocent as his victims. What a horrible post.

Besides, I thought the main argument against the death penalty was that someone could eventually be exonerated if they had life in prison as opposed to death. There's no ambiguity here. Hang em high.

No, it's a belief that revenge should not be actively promoted by the state.

Since when does "revenge" only mean death? Life in prison is also "revenge".
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »

In this case... the death penalty should not be applied because other terrorists would view him as a martyr...

I'm sure plenty of terrorists viewed Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein as martyrs as well.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »

Bridge collapses in Minnesota killing 13 people because of faulty gusset plates that had succumbed to the stress of all the weight and corrosive road salts and pigeon poop... and the bridge, designed so that the bridge fails if one component fails, collapsed.

13 dead.  Later that year, 5 Republicans in the state house vote to override the governor's veto on a gas tax increase to fund extra bridge maintenance and repair and the GOP goes on a witch hunt to get them primaried.  I believe one of those 5 remain in office today.

Boston bombing:  3 dead.  TWO PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE FOR THIS!!

What is wrong with you people?

Literally comparing a purposeful, targeted terrorist attack to a bridge collapsing due to lack of maintenance. Probably one of the worst analogies I've ever seen on the intertubes (and that's saying something).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »

Bridge collapses in Minnesota killing 13 people because of faulty gusset plates that had succumbed to the stress of all the weight and corrosive road salts and pigeon poop... and the bridge, designed so that the bridge fails if one component fails, collapsed.

13 dead.  Later that year, 5 Republicans in the state house vote to override the governor's veto on a gas tax increase to fund extra bridge maintenance and repair and the GOP goes on a witch hunt to get them primaried.  I believe one of those 5 remain in office today.

Boston bombing:  3 dead.  TWO PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE FOR THIS!!

What is wrong with you people?

Literally comparing a purposeful, targeted terrorist attack to a bridge collapsing due to lack of maintenance. Probably one of the worst analogies I've ever seen on the intertubes (and that's saying something).

Oh... when people die at the hands of an angry martyr, maybe they do deserve to die.  But I believe in mercy over retribution.

But when 4 times more people die at the hands of apathy, basic human incompetency, and partisan politics, that's infuriating.  Because nobody will get the blame.  The system is designed that way on purpose.

While Tsarnaev is responsible for the death and suffering of many, he is but a tiny cog in a larger machine that we, if we put our minds to it, could ultimately help fix.

But no.. you don't get to know his motives.  That's classified.  You just need to know that he's gonna die for what he did.

I don't care if you don't like my analogies, Icespear... I already gathered enough info about you from your previous posts in this thread to make a character judgment.

How is throwing a guy in jail to rot for the rest of his life with no possibility of parole any more "merciful" than the death penalty? Many people would prefer death over spending the rest of their life in a jail cell.

You implied legislators voting against a bill after the bridge already collapsed were worse than terrorists who directly killed three people, destroyed several families, left dozens of people limbless and unable to walk for the rest of their life, and caused strife to all of their families and even the nation at large.

No matter what we or society does, there are always going to be violent sociopathic nutjobs like this guy. The only place those won't exist is in utopian fantasy novels. His motives are irrelevant to his actions, because no possible motive could ever justify them, except to other sociopaths such as him.

As for character judgments, it's very easy to make one as well about the guy who nonchalantly describes the Boston bombings as "3 deaths" while glossing over the countless others who were affected. Something tells me you'd feel much less compassion if it was one of your family members who died or became paralyzed for the rest of their life due to an evil nutjob. But since I don't know you, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you had a brainfart that you decided to double down on. It's less depressing that way.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »

I had a mother that became paralyzed for the rest of her life when I was 9 because a doctor cut open an infected spot and the infection spread into her blood.

But she never sued the guy because he also saved her life. 

So given my unique experience I tend to have unusual views on the subject.  Maybe he could do some good in prison.  It wouldn't bring those people back to life or give people their limbs back.  But it might help somebody else.

There was already enough death.

Sorry to hear that, but surely you recognize the difference between a doctor making a mistake and a terrorist having a goal to kill as many innocents as possible. I'm sure if the doctor PURPOSELY paralyzed your mother, you'd both have wanted him prosecuted to the furthest extent of the law.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »

My point is:  The same type of people who have no personal connection to the Boston Bomber but want blood... are the same types that saw it morally acceptable to block a tax increase to increase much needed maintenance and upgrades of bridges that were falling way behind and aging... despite 13 people dying and 145 being injured after a catastrophic bridge failure that was due to HUMAN error.

I agree with you that those Republican legislators who voted against it were despicable, assuming they didn't propose some other way of funding the needed bridge repairs. But I still think your comparison between negligence and incompetence and direct targeted murder of as many innocent civilians as possible is beyond the pale. Besides, it's not like it's just Republicans that want this guy to get death. I'm sure even many people who usually oppose the death penalty do.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »

My point is:  The same type of people who have no personal connection to the Boston Bomber but want blood... are the same types that saw it morally acceptable to block a tax increase to increase much needed maintenance and upgrades of bridges that were falling way behind and aging... despite 13 people dying and 145 being injured after a catastrophic bridge failure that was due to HUMAN error.

I agree with you that those Republican legislators who voted against it were despicable, assuming they didn't propose some other way of funding the needed bridge repairs. But I still think your comparison between negligence and incompetence and direct targeted murder of as many innocent civilians as possible is beyond the pale. Besides, it's not like it's just Republicans that want this guy to get death. I'm sure even many people who usually oppose the death penalty do.
When somebody needs mercy the most... is when we take it away.

Do you advocate the death penalty for the 16 year old in Texas that got 4 people killed by driving drunk on a joy ride?  He killed more than Tsarnaev!  Not to mention that Tsarnaev's dead accomplice seemed to be the mastermind in this case.  He just helped.

AND *his* defense was that he was so fabulously rich that he didn't know any better!

Tsarnaev obviously had more complex reasoning in his motives.  But maybe we should off the guy who got the booze for the 16 year old kid!  What were his motives?

But here the difference seems to be that Tsarnaev wanted his act to come with a big "BOO!!!" while the drunken Texan pissant never meant to kill anyone as he swerved around the road into an oncoming vehicle.  Roll Eyes

No, I don't, because he's a minor and also because there was no premeditation. I do think his punishment should've been much heavier than it actually was though. Of course it wasn't because the justice system is built for the rich, but that's a discussion for another day.

Complex motive does not mean good motive and certainly does not mean justifiable motive. I'm sure the nutjob who shot Gabby Giffords had a very complex motive in his warped mind. I don't particularly care what it was though.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »

Hey let's murder the murderer!
Ya that should deter every other potential bomber.  Roll Eyes

And imprisoning him for life will deter potential bombers just as well (that being, not at all).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies