Death Penalty decision imminent for Boston Bomber
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 06:20:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Death Penalty decision imminent for Boston Bomber
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Death Penalty decision imminent for Boston Bomber  (Read 4795 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:50:23 PM »
« edited: January 30, 2014, 10:21:32 AM by Thomas Jefferson »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/29/death-penalty-decision-imminent-in-boston-bombing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:48 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2014, 06:01:43 PM by Snowstalker »

A clear violation of Massachusetts' sovereignty.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »

A disgusting violation of Massachusetts' sovereignty.

Good to see that hypocrisy on states rights exists in all quarters.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »

I will be disgusted if he doesn't get the death penalty when he is found guilty.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:36:40 PM »

I will be disgusted if he doesn't get the death penalty when he is found guilty.

Nice to know you're on basically the same level as him then.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »

Good.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »

Yeah, wanting a terrorist who killed 3 people and blowed the limbs off dozens of others to be put to death makes you as bad as him. Because clearly, he's just as innocent as his victims. What a horrible post.

Besides, I thought the main argument against the death penalty was that someone could eventually be exonerated if they had life in prison as opposed to death. There's no ambiguity here. Hang em high.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

Yeah, wanting a terrorist who killed 3 people and blowed the limbs off dozens of others to be put to death makes you as bad as him. Because clearly, he's just as innocent as his victims. What a horrible post.

Besides, I thought the main argument against the death penalty was that someone could eventually be exonerated if they had life in prison as opposed to death. There's no ambiguity here. Hang em high.

No, it's a belief that revenge should not be actively promoted by the state.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »

There's also the fiscal argument, that the death penalty is more expensive than housing someone for life, thanks to all of the mandatory legal appeals.

Anyhow, I know how I'd feel if it had been my wife or parent getting killed in the bombing, so I can't blame any other victim's relative for wanting the maximum punishment.  I don't have a strong opposition to the death penalty philosophically, although it would be preferable to just be a simple bullet to the brain than the elaborate and often-cruel lethal injection system, but I still oppose the inequitable way America hands out the punishment to the poor and minorities.

Overall, I won't say "Good" that that scumbag is probably going to be executed, but I won't shed a tear for him.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »

No, it's a belief that revenge should not be actively promoted by the state.

Since when does "revenge" only mean death? Life in prison is also "revenge".
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 07:02:39 PM »

In this case... the death penalty should not be applied because other terrorists would view him as a martyr...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »

The death penalty is always wrong... justice is one thing, revenge is another.

I had a friend who was killed in the Bali bombings and people couldn't understand why I didn't want them executed, that was my answer.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »

The death penalty is always wrong... justice is one thing, revenge is another.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:57 PM »

Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »

In this case... the death penalty should not be applied because other terrorists would view him as a martyr...

I'm sure plenty of terrorists viewed Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein as martyrs as well.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 07:56:34 PM »

Bridge collapses in Minnesota killing 13 people because of faulty gusset plates that had succumbed to the stress of all the weight and corrosive road salts and pigeon poop... and the bridge, designed so that the bridge fails if one component fails, collapsed.

13 dead.  Later that year, 5 Republicans in the state house vote to override the governor's veto on a gas tax increase to fund extra bridge maintenance and repair and the GOP goes on a witch hunt to get them primaried.  I believe one of those 5 remain in office today.

Boston bombing:  3 dead.  TWO PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE FOR THIS!!

What is wrong with you people?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:03 PM »

Bridge collapses in Minnesota killing 13 people because of faulty gusset plates that had succumbed to the stress of all the weight and corrosive road salts and pigeon poop... and the bridge, designed so that the bridge fails if one component fails, collapsed.

13 dead.  Later that year, 5 Republicans in the state house vote to override the governor's veto on a gas tax increase to fund extra bridge maintenance and repair and the GOP goes on a witch hunt to get them primaried.  I believe one of those 5 remain in office today.

Well, if the Minnesota bridge had been sabotaged, I'm sure there would be widespread support for an execution.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »

Literally comparing a purposeful, targeted terrorist attack to a bridge collapsing due to lack of maintenance. Probably one of the worst analogies I've ever seen on the intertubes (and that's saying something).
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »

Can't be bothered to root for either the pro-death penalty or anti side. Probably slightly anti, just in case he's made a martyr.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2014, 08:32:08 PM by Redalgo »

For a lot of people, yes. For me it is a matter of compassion. It is still possible for the bomber to live a partially-redeeming, in some way productive life from behind bars with his autonomy kept limited to an extent proper for preventing him from executing any more attacks. His life still has value and he still deserves to find happiness in it somehow - it is just that finding it through terrorism is unacceptable to the point of meriting state oversight of and restrictions affecting his activities.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »

A key word is missing from the thread title: "decision."  The judge hasn't made the decision yet - that is what is imminent.

I wish we didn't have the death penalty at all in this country.  I don't want to see him die, but if he doesn't people will feel like the justice system failed his victims.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies