Ohio redistricting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:17:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 92210 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« on: April 24, 2020, 08:35:15 PM »

what's the rule about splitting Cleveland? Isn't Cuyahoga currently split between 11, 14, and 16?

TBF not sure if its legal but you split the city of Cleveland itself 3 times which isn't a very good look. Splitting Cuyohoga three times is fine but splitting a city of around 350k three times isn't very good.

Ah I see your point. I can definitely work on redrawing it with these criteria in mind.

Just stop. You are literally trying to draw a D gerrymander in a state where that absolutely will not happen. It is just as annoying as if I posted an R gerrymander in the CA thread, with the exception that there's even a 1 in a million chance where the commission goes wack
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 06:55:25 PM »

Republican Paul Miller presented a Congressional map before the commission today, which focused on congressional lines. Others testified before the recess until tomorrow, but didn't have maps. An Akron Dem noted he didn't think Geauga belongs with Akron. If this is the future plan, then the court will probably just appoint a master, which they can without jumping through hoops like on the leg side.

IDK don't commission Dems have a strong incentive to make a deal and lock the map in for the decade?

Yeah, this is actually worth considering, since this map is a huge improvement over the initial one.

I'd still ask for a better district around Toledo, though. That one ought to be at least Biden+5 or so (basically giving it a neutral PVI). If the OHGOP can accept that, I say we have a deal.
I don't see how that's possible without a gerrymander itself taking it in to the Cleveland area.
What if the Toledo district basically took in as much of Lucas and Wood counties as it could, while losing everything rural west of the Lucas/Wood county line?

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::c4c3824d-939e-484d-9adc-45f807318731

Like this? Still only Biden +0.8
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »

FWIW this is my preferred "fair" configuration for a Toledo district. No county splits and a Trump +1.5 district (that, interestingly, voted for Clinton in 2016).

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::91b23ad3-be51-42e0-b3e4-04b16beb75e1
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies