your religion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:07:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  your religion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: "                   "
athiest

agnostic

theist-yet not religious

Christian

religion other than Christian

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: your religion  (Read 17953 times)
Everett
YaBB God

« on: January 08, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »

Christian. I have been challenged on this because I'm not a regular churchgoer, yet I really think one has to view things case by case and not exclude someone just because they are not a regular churchgoer.
I still fail to understand how church is a requirement for being 'Christian'. I stopped attending church a while back, and ever since then people have complained that I am not fulfilling my duties.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:29:24 PM »

Christian. I have been challenged on this because I'm not a regular churchgoer, yet I really think one has to view things case by case and not exclude someone just because they are not a regular churchgoer.
I still fail to understand how church is a requirement for being 'Christian'. I stopped attending church a while back, and ever since then people have complained that I am not fulfilling my duties.

A lot of it depends on what kind of church we're looking at. Some churches can be more counterproductive than productive, and I had a bad long-term experience with one of those, whose effect was to push me away from God not toward him.

I would try harder to find a church that fits me today except for my extreme social anxiety, which prevent me from doing a number of other things as well.
Indeed. Furthermore, one does not need to attend a building to worship. If the organisation ends up being distracting or otherwise detrimental, it's probably best to simply stay at home and pray, or read the Bible, instead of dealing with whatever (or whoever) is causing the problem.

Sorry to hear about the social anxiety, though. That's probably my biggest reason for not trying to find another church as well.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 10:39:29 PM »

What made you two quit going?

I've never liked going to church, and I don't plan to any longer than I have to.
Well, I hated the people for various reasons. I have a severe problem with hypocrites (though I am at times a hypocrite, of course), and having to deal with an entire congregation of hypocrites was miserable. Ever since then, religion has been mostly a private matter for me. Thankfully, my mother never really forced me to attend church, so I simply stopped going of my own volition and she never asked why.

I can't really explain this. The basic reason is that I don't like doing a lot of things around other people. Eating is one, praying is another.

It's been a while since I quit going to church, so I don't remember too well, though the most likely reason is still people.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:42:15 PM »

Well, you're a better Christian than me.
I quit the religion for a couple of years at one point (out of sheer depression), so I really can't say that I'm the model Christian. Then again, pretty much everyone is presumably screwed up in some way or another, even if hardly anyone wants to admit that they aren't a beacon of perfection at church.

But if you don't feel that you are getting anything out of the religion, why are you still religious? Are your parents/family forcing it upon you?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies