your religion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:59:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  your religion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: "                   "
athiest

agnostic

theist-yet not religious

Christian

religion other than Christian

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: your religion  (Read 17951 times)
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2006, 06:07:24 AM »

Theist, but not particularly religious.

"
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2006, 06:18:58 PM »

Catholic who disagrees with the church's stances more than agree

So why do you call yourself Catholic, then?

I'm a Roman Catholic. Can't beat the Eucharist.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2006, 09:10:49 PM »

One of my hobbies is mocking the devoutly religious.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2006, 09:32:01 PM »

Don't you find that a little ignorant and intolerant? Do you care?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2006, 09:35:54 PM »

Don't you find that a little ignorant and intolerant? Do you care?
Yes, Yes and No.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2006, 09:39:38 PM »

You mean Im not the only one? Phew!

But seriously, Atheist.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
WTF was I thinking back then? Good lord.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2006, 09:43:09 PM »

I believe in God.  I dont follow any religion closely.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2006, 09:43:19 PM »

Indeed you're not. I treat the devout as people to be mocked. They deserve it for spreading a meme that I think needs to be eradicated.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2006, 11:02:42 PM »

I find this all rather foolish, as if you think you're going to improve society by doing that, you're clearly mistaken. It's a sure symptom of the culture of death to see individuals acknowledge their own ignorance and not care. How can one become a true politician if he is so ignorant? Obviously, you contribute nothing to society because there is no changing your mind. Why then do you debate? In order to spread ignorance? Your beleifs are ignorant, that's what you would be doing. Your goal is to seek truth, not to let ignorance demoralize you.

Life is so short, so if there is a possibility of the afterlife, wouldn't you want to be part of it? Eternity is forever; life is temporary.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2006, 11:09:33 PM »

Life is so short, so if there is a possibility of the afterlife, wouldn't you want to be part of it? Eternity is forever; life is temporary.

If there is an afterlife, most of us believe that God would not punishing us for not being absolutely certain of his existence, and that the odds are probably against us for picking the right religion anyway.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2006, 11:17:18 PM »

I honestly can't say what God thinks, but God certainly doesn't punish us, but we get attached to material things, not into the eternal things. If we attach ourselves to material things we will die a material death; but if we attach ourselves to eternal things, we will have eternal life.

If you at least seek the truth, honestly, and don't pick a religion based on your preconcieved views, but on the logic of it, then you will find it, and if you don't, you sought truth; you sought the eternal.

Nobody can be absolutely certain God exists, that's why we have faith. But reason helps us in gaining faith.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2006, 11:21:47 PM »

I honestly can't say what God thinks, but God certainly doesn't punish us, but we get attached to material things, not into the eternal things. If we attach ourselves to material things we will die a material death; but if we attach ourselves to eternal things, we will have eternal life.

If you at least seek the truth, honestly, and don't pick a religion based on your preconcieved views, but on the logic of it, then you will find it, and if you don't, you sought truth; you sought the eternal.

Nobody can be absolutely certain God exists, that's why we have faith. But reason helps us in gaining faith.

God certainly does not want to punish us, but he is forced by whom if we do not believe in Him?

It seems a little bit ridiculous to me, I'm afraid.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2006, 11:24:29 PM »

God isn't forced to punish us. God, if he exists, wouldn't be forced to do anything because that would deny his very essence in being all powerful and being the "unmovable mover". I'm telling you that we choose our fate, not God.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2006, 11:26:24 PM »

But seriously, Atheist. ... Good lord.

Apparently there isn't one. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2006, 11:27:23 PM »

God isn't forced to punish us. God, if he exists, wouldn't be forced to do anything because that would deny his very essence in being all powerful and being the "unmovable mover". I'm telling you that we choose our fate, not God.

I do not know about you, but I cannot choose what I do and do not believe.  If my fate involves doing so, I am unable to choose my fate.

Besides, when there are ten different significant religions saying all of the others will suffer for not choosing their fate correctly, it seems that it's rather a dart's throw.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2006, 11:36:01 PM »

So because it's hard, you're just going to give up? Seek the faith that seeks truth. Read some Socrates. He wanted to seek truth; he was completely open minded, and in every dialogue was simply trying to find the truth of the matter.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »

So because it's hard, you're just going to give up? Seek the faith that seeks truth. Read some Socrates. He wanted to seek truth; he was completely open minded, and in every dialogue was simply trying to find the truth of the matter.

No.  But why should I try?  I have no reason to resist the truth.  I have no qualms if I am wrong.  However, there are a huge number of religions that to me seem equally plausible, and the individual details seem impossible to determine.

My general belief is that I am unsure if God exists, I do not believe I can ever objectively know that God exists, and I can never be certain of something for which there is no objective proof.  If God sends me to hell for that, I suppose there's not much I can do about it.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2006, 11:47:32 PM »

No.  But why should I try?  I have no reason to resist the truth.  I have no qualms if I am wrong.  However, there are a huge number of religions that to me seem equally plausible, and the individual details seem impossible to determine.

I'm sure you can figure out whether they are or not. Alcorn, our very goal in life is to seek truth. That's what human beings do; we rationalize. As Socrates says "the unexamined life is not worth living". In fact, that's the very reading I would recommend for you.

http://www.saliu.com/socrates.html
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2006, 11:52:21 PM »

I do that already.  I believe what makes sense to me and reject what doesn't, as do all rational human beings.  Unfortunately, I have been told over and over that I will go to hell for this because I am not believing in the "right" thing.  I really don't see how I can honestly believe something to be true just because I'm scared of the consequences for not doing so.  It just doesn't work that way.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2006, 11:59:26 PM »

But seriously, Atheist.

Quote from: Restricted
WTF was I thinking back then? Good lord.

Atheism is a religion too; Agnostics are the only truly non-religious or religious-neutral people.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2006, 12:04:53 AM »

Atheism is a religion too; Agnostics are the only truly non-religious or religious-neutral people.

While this is a favorite thing to say for people who aren't atheist, it isn't true.

re·li·gion
n.

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
         b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
   2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
   3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
   4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

----

There has to be a some form of deity for it to be a religion.  Atheism is a belief, but not a religion.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2006, 12:06:24 AM »

There has to be a some form of deity for it to be a religion.

Buddhism.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2006, 12:08:57 AM »

While this is a favorite thing to say for people who aren't atheist, it isn't true.

re·li·gion
n.

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
         b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
   2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
   3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
   4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

----

There has to be a some form of deity for it to be a religion.  Atheism is a belief, but not a religion.

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks. Although I guess it often fits definition number 4, though that's not the one being used in this context.

It is a religious belief, though. Your intensity of feelings and opinions and the degree of certainty that you have is the same for the most part as those of someone who believes in God. So it doesn't really make sense to me to be strongly anti-religion if one of the reasons for doing so is that you hate the fact that religious people are intolerant...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2006, 12:11:58 AM »

Does that even count as a religion?  I could have sworn I've heard of people who were Christian Buddhists.

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks. Although I guess it often fits definition number 4, though that's not the one being used in this context.

Not really, unless he's a zealous atheist who goes around preaching to everyone, and even then, it's not really a religion in the sense you mean.

It is a religious belief, though. Your intensity of feelings and opinions and the degree of certainty that you have is the same for the most part as those of someone who believes in God. So it doesn't really make sense to me to be strongly anti-religion if one of the reasons for doing so is that you hate the fact that religious people are intolerant...

Holding a belief that relates to religion is rather different than adhering to a religion.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2006, 12:13:52 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2006, 12:17:20 AM by Speed Of Sound »

Just to clear up that Im not religious for being Atheist, technically, as you might know already, Im a Secular Humanist, which is a philosophy. There. It doesnt matter now, settled. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies