List what you agree with the opposite Party With. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:25:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  List what you agree with the opposite Party With. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: List what you agree with the opposite Party With.  (Read 2415 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« on: August 16, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

Gun Control
Estate Tax
Foreign Policy
Affirmative Action

Oh, yeah, I forgot about affirmative action. I agree with the Republicans on that, too. I don't think that a person's skin color or gender or religion (or even sexual orientation, yes I can say that) should give them a leg up in the hiring or enrolling process. I know I sound like a Republican saying this but a *wise* (ha) white male shouldn't be reversely discriminated against for mistakes that our ancestors made over 200 years ago. It's seriously time we buried the whole slavery-racism argument and move forward because the more we dwell on it and continue to dig it up, the more it's going to hang around and just cause more problems and breed more racism. Employers and schools should select the most qualified person who they think will work the hardest and actually succeed as opposed to merely selecting them just to fill a quota. I'm sorry but if I was hired by a company simply to be the only white man working there or the only openly gay man (which, would never happen) and I knew that I didn't get the job because of my qualifications, I'd be a little ashamed of myself and I'd think it was pathetic, and yeah I'd probably quit.

Affirmative action is what makes your sig have to say "should have been."
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »

I also actually oppose Affirmative Action for the reasons you mentioned. However, I can't say I agree with Republicans on this issue since their position seems saying "let's do nothing and racism will fade away itself" which is false. I support state measures in order to change mentalities such as tougher laws against racial hatred ( that's why Ist Amendment should be modified ) and state agencies to promote equality ( something like HALDE in France ).

Amending the first amendment is a terrible idea. You can't ban hatred anyways.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

I also actually oppose Affirmative Action for the reasons you mentioned. However, I can't say I agree with Republicans on this issue since their position seems saying "let's do nothing and racism will fade away itself" which is false. I support state measures in order to change mentalities such as tougher laws against racial hatred ( that's why Ist Amendment should be modified ) and state agencies to promote equality ( something like HALDE in France ).

Yes, we can. At least we can try.

We shouldn't try.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »

We shouldn't try.

Do you ( honestly ) think France is a dictatorship ? Because we've plenty of laws against racial hatred.

I never said France is a dictatorship. And no I do not think that.

Speech should be generally unrestricted regardless of the hatred it may represent.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 04:27:17 PM »

We shouldn't try.

Do you ( honestly ) think France is a dictatorship ? Because we've plenty of laws against racial hatred.

I never said France is a dictatorship. And no I do not think that.

Speech should be generally unrestricted regardless of the hatred it may represent.

Could I ask you why ?

Because everyone has a legitimate right to say and think and feel however they choose to, when we place restrictions on personal beliefs, that's akin to destroying the free speech our founders fought for. The 1st amendment was written as is for a reason, you know. Wink
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »

I know, that talking point's almost as dumb now as when it was tried on Kerry.

I was actually being sarcastic. I only said that because the Republicans used it against him in the campaign because National Review or National Journal or whatever rated him as the most liberal Senator, and it wasn't meant as an attack, because I'm a liberal as well, that's why I voted for the more progressive Democrat in the primaries Smiley

Hillary was more progressive but Obama was more liberal. Liberals may want progressive to be a euphemism for liberal, but they are different words with different meanings.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies