What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:40:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 638049 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2008, 02:47:58 AM »

I saw City of God again with my roommates and some of their visiting friends, and I liked it a lot more than I did last time.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »

The whole point of NCFOM (and if you haven't seen it yet and don't want to read any spoilers don't read any further) isn't about the drug money or even Chigurgh but rather Tommy Lee Jones's character deciding to retire. The story is his basically just his view of the incident that finally did it, he doesn't play a huge role in the actual story but that's not really the point. After viewing the true evil in Chigurgh he comes to the conclusion that the world has developed so far into evil and wickedness that it's not worth fighting for anymore, basically what the title means (No World For Old Men would probably be more accurate though I understand it's taken from a poem or something). That sounds like a nihilistic viewpoint to me. Oh and it's violent and bloody. Just not as cartoonish as Sin City.

You know a paper comparing the meaning of the endings of NCFOM and Se7en would be something really interesting to write for a film class or something. Similar themes but completely different conclusions (and endings too in the characters in question, Tommy Lee Jones in NCFOM and Morgan Freeman in Se7en)

It doesn't glorify violence and it also doesn't agree with the violent characters.

Man you and Gully are really just whiny Joe Lieberman-clones.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

No but you whine about it similar to Lieberman. Actually Ralph Nader is probably a better comparison.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »

Into The Wild.

A lot better than I expected. I only went to it because I figured it'd be a good and cheap (it was only $3) way to kill 2 1/2 hours. Incredible story and cinematography, the dialogue a little cheesy at times (especially the narration by Chris's sister), but on a whole stunning and moving.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2008, 12:44:16 AM »

Lust, Caution - very intense, Ang Lee doing what he does best.
Sweeney Todd - really good, The ending was a tad too abrupt for me.

Going to a preivew of There Will Be Blood tonight.

I don't know what to tell you to expect except pure awesomeness.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2008, 01:55:41 AM »

Rambo.

Now it was badass. The only problem was it was a bit too short, but man, it was badass for the time it lasted.

I also saw a trailer for a movie called "Midnight Meat Train". Audience reaction was priceless.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2008, 10:59:42 PM »

True Romance.

Would've been at least twice as good if Tarantino had actually directed it. But it did have plenty of cool parts and the final shootout alone was worth it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »

BTW, There Will Be Blood's final scene has to be in my top 3 final scenes of all time. The other two being Pulp Fiction and The Departed.

If you expand it beyond movies though the hands down #1 winner is the Cowboy Bebop finale.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2008, 02:13:17 AM »

Gone Baby Gone.

Very well done film. The ending situation was also an interesting question.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2008, 03:22:19 AM »

Tomorrow I plan on going to Before The Devil Knows You're Dead which is playing at a budget theater. I'll be interested in seeing how Hoffman is in that. Oh, and Marisa Tomei's tits Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2008, 01:41:44 AM »

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.

Leave the non-linear stuff to Tarantino, because just about anyone else can't do it right. Aside fro that, very good, and nice gratuitous nudity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »

I obviously haven't seen it yet but I'm counting down the days until Vantage Point comes out. It looks cool. Plus, Matthew Fox (Jack from LOST) is in it.

Wow, you're quite the fanboy. I'm surprised you haven't raved about Cloverfield.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »

I obviously haven't seen it yet but I'm counting down the days until Vantage Point comes out. It looks cool. Plus, Matthew Fox (Jack from LOST) is in it.

Wow, you're quite the fanboy. I'm surprised you haven't raved about Cloverfield.

"Fanboy?" Sorry, I'm not too cultured. What is that exactly? I hardly ever see movies and I certainly wouldn't see Cloverfield. Was Fox in that, too?

Uh, just look at what it says and the two words that are put together. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy

Cloverfield was produced by J.J. Abrams which is the main reason the early title-less trailer got so much attention.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2008, 01:12:18 AM »

Saw two lately:

The Brave One - OK, this was completely implausible. Jodie Foster buys a gun barely knowing how to use it, kills a few people in self-defense, and then instantly becomes this bad-ass killing machine who can take out hardened gang members and crime bosses with ease. Uh huh. There was also a ton of plot holes surrounding the ending, and some near the beginning too (what was vigilante about killing the guy in the gas station? That was obvious self-defense!) One thing I did like about it though was the obvious homages to Taxi Driver, although they might've been a bit too obvious. (30 years ago Jodie Foster is a teenaged prostitute rescued by Robert DeNiro, now she rescues the teenaged prostitute.)

Idiocracy - This movie reminded me of Mike Naso. It was funny yes, but also rather depressing in that manner.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2008, 10:07:01 PM »

Saw two lately:

The Brave One - OK, this was completely implausible. Jodie Foster buys a gun barely knowing how to use it, kills a few people in self-defense, and then instantly becomes this bad-ass killing machine who can take out hardened gang members and crime bosses with ease. Uh huh. There was also a ton of plot holes surrounding the ending, and some near the beginning too (what was vigilante about killing the guy in the gas station? That was obvious self-defense!) One thing I did like about it though was the obvious homages to Taxi Driver, although they might've been a bit too obvious. (30 years ago Jodie Foster is a teenaged prostitute rescued by Robert DeNiro, now she rescues the teenaged prostitute.)

Idiocracy - This movie reminded me of Mike Naso. It was funny yes, but also rather depressing in that manner.
I watched Idiocracy recently, too. What did you find funny about it?

The funniest parts were near the beginning with the pimp and the general, but I found the society rather funny just because of the commentary that it really is. Especially the part about how they watered crops with sports drinks because it "has got what plants crave!" and no one disputed that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2008, 10:41:53 PM »

Thoughts?

Currently the 21st greatest film of all time according to IMDB.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2008, 08:29:25 AM »

Strange. Very good though. Captivating. Great cinematography etc.

What'd you think of the ending? People seem to either love or hate it. Personally I thought it was great, the only issue being Eli didn't look anywhere near as old as he should've been, but of course there was no way around that really.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2008, 03:17:14 AM »

Vantage Point.

There's still some parts of it I don't understand, one of those movies you have to watch a few times to completely get. It got really entertaining near the end though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »

We Own The Night.

First half of the movie was great, then it got really stupid and the characters got unbelievable. And I don't know what they were trying with the ending, but it just didn't work.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2008, 02:42:31 AM »

The Savages

Pretty far from deserving that Best Screenplay nomination, but it was a well done and rather funny movie, with great performances from Laura Linney and Phillip Seymour-Hoffman.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »

War.

Wouldn't have been much of a worthwhile movie if it weren't for the twist ending, well that and the call girl with the absolutely smoking body.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2008, 02:42:46 AM »

Traffic.

Excellent movie. Great look at ho the war on drugs really works.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2008, 03:30:19 AM »

Teeth.

Hilarious. Perfect midnight move. One you have to see in the theaters too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2008, 10:41:18 PM »

Zodiac.

It would've been a lot better if Fincher didn't get a little too full of himself and make it a LOT longer than it needed to be.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2008, 11:30:49 PM »

The Professional.

Not as good as the IMDB ranking, but still a rather touching yet also action-packed movie. Gary Oldman also gave one of the best portrayals of a villain I've ever seen, comparable to Javier Barden in No Country For Old Men.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies