What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:42:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 628345 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: January 23, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

No but you whine about it similar to Lieberman. Actually Ralph Nader is probably a better comparison.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1276 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

I've watched a few classics from my VHS movie collection, and I highly recommend all of these:

What I watched Saturday:

Escape from New York (1981)
In the future of 1997, a condemned criminal and former war hero (KURT RUSSELL) is offered his freedom if he can rescue the President of the United States (DONALD PLEASENCE) from the walled prison island of Manhattan after a terrorist brings down the President's plane in this futuristic adventure.

Escape from L.A. (1996)
In the year 2000, an earthquake separates Los Angeles from the mainland. In the New Moral America, all citizens not conforming to the new laws are deported to L.A., now a penal colony. In 2013, The President's daughter has stolen a doomsday device and has fled to L.A. It's up to Snake Plissken (KURT RUSSELL) to find the President's daughter and retrieve the doomsday device before its too late.

What I watched Sunday:

Susan's Plan (1998)
Susan (NASTASSJA KINSKI) wants her reprehensible ex-husband dead. Her boyfriend (Billy Zane) hires two dim-witted hitmen (MICHAEL BIEHN, ROB SCHNEIDER) to do the deed. But when the plan fails, hilarity ensues in this John Landis comedy also starring Dan Aykroyd and Lara Flynn Boyle.

What I watched Monday:

Seven (1995)
Police drama about two cops, one new (BRAD PITT) and one about to retire (MORGAN FREEMAN), after a serial killer using the seven deadly sins as his guide of murder.

Cop (1988)
Lloyd Hopkins (JAMES WOODS), plays a hard-boiled American police detective is on the trail of a mass murderer who is victimizing women in Los Angeles.

What I watched Tuesday:

Commando (1985)
A retired elite commando (ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER) has only a few hours to find and rescue his daughter from an exiled dictator.

What I am watching so far tonight:

Novocaine (2001)
Dr. Frank Sangster (STEVE MARTIN) is a straight-laced dentist who because of one innocent lie, finds his tidy, prosperous life transformed into a comic quagmire of illicit sex, illegal drugs and inexplicable murder in this brilliantly offbeat, bitingly comedic film!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1277 on: January 23, 2008, 10:50:50 PM »

I've watched a few classics from my VHS movie collection, and I highly recommend all of these:

What I watched Saturday:

In the future of 1997, a condemned criminal and former war hero (KURT RUSSELL) is offered his freedom if he can rescue the President of the United States (DONALD PLEASENCE) from the walled prison island of Manhattan after a terrorist brings down the President's plane in this futuristic adventure.

The beginning of this thing with the airplane flying into a skyscraper in lower manhattan was pretty creepy.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1278 on: January 23, 2008, 11:05:14 PM »

What I watched Saturday:

The beginning of this thing with the airplane flying into a skyscraper in lower manhattan was pretty creepy.

Yep. The terrorist crashed the plane near the Twin Towers...not into them though. However, Kurt Russell's character then needs to land a glider on top of the World Trade Center. It's sad to think that 20 years after this movie....
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1279 on: January 24, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »

ew, james bond movie makes first misstep with its title: "Quantum of Solace"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/24/movies.bondfilm.ap/index.html
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1280 on: January 24, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »

It's a great title from an Ian Fleming short story. "Quantum of Solace" pretty much means one having a certain degree of comfort, which connects to Bond's emotional state and closure after his relationship with Vesper.

It's no more odd than "Thunderball" or "Octopussy" or longwinded as "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" or "The World is Not Enough."

It doesn't matter much anyway; most people will just call it "the new Bond movie."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1281 on: January 24, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »

Recently began to watch Ken Burns's The War. I like Ken Burns, and in this series he focuses on how things changed for four families from different parts of the country. It kind of reminded me of Flags of Our Fathers
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1282 on: January 24, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »

Into The Wild.

A lot better than I expected. I only went to it because I figured it'd be a good and cheap (it was only $3) way to kill 2 1/2 hours. Incredible story and cinematography, the dialogue a little cheesy at times (especially the narration by Chris's sister), but on a whole stunning and moving.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1283 on: January 25, 2008, 12:40:05 AM »

Lust, Caution - very intense, Ang Lee doing what he does best.
Sweeney Todd - really good, The ending was a tad too abrupt for me.

Going to a preivew of There Will Be Blood tonight.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1284 on: January 25, 2008, 12:44:16 AM »

I don't know what to tell you to expect except pure awesomeness.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1285 on: January 25, 2008, 01:01:24 AM »

I don't know what to tell you to expect except pure awesomeness.

Excellent.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1286 on: January 26, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »

Atonement

Not terribly impressive, but moving throughout, fairly well acted besides Knightley (who is atrocious), and humorous in the beginning. Tad long too, but my patience tends to be stretched during dramas.

And Knightley should never be allowed to dive into water in underwear again. Or at least not until she grows breasts and stops with the eating disorder.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1287 on: January 26, 2008, 11:12:47 PM »

Into The Wild.

A lot better than I expected. I only went to it because I figured it'd be a good and cheap (it was only $3) way to kill 2 1/2 hours. Incredible story and cinematography, the dialogue a little cheesy at times (especially the narration by Chris's sister), but on a whole stunning and moving.

3rd best movie of the year! maybe 2nd.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1288 on: January 26, 2008, 11:16:53 PM »

Meet the Spartans

Not a great movie, but not nearly as bad as a lot of people thought it would be.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1289 on: January 27, 2008, 01:55:41 AM »

Rambo.

Now it was badass. The only problem was it was a bit too short, but man, it was badass for the time it lasted.

I also saw a trailer for a movie called "Midnight Meat Train". Audience reaction was priceless.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1290 on: January 27, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »

I also enjoyed it, started off slow and then sped up and came to an abrupt halt. Looking back I think the ending was actually appropriate.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1291 on: January 27, 2008, 11:10:45 AM »

There Will Be Blood

Excellent.  One of the best I've seen in a long time.

Totally agreed.

I also enjoyed it, started off slow and then sped up and came to an abrupt halt. Looking back I think the ending was actually appropriate.

Again, I agree.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1292 on: January 27, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »

Yes.

And that is the last film I've seen.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1293 on: January 27, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »

There Will be Blood

[some spoilers below, maybe]
I really hated it. Maybe someone here can persuade me, because I really wanted to love it, but I just found it so incoherent and messy. The movie sets up the story for 2 hours, then skips the middle, and abruptly jumps to an ending that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I thought Day-Lewis was very good, but even his performance couldn't make the film interesting for me. It felt like a bunch of set pieces, intended to show off early 20th-century California, stringed together. None of the characters were particularly likable, and there was never a central conflict to the story. He suddenly becomes a crazed alcoholic at the end with little explanation, and then he kills Eli again with little explanation. Also casting Paul and Eli as the same character was stupid and just confused me (and everyone else I was watching with).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1294 on: January 27, 2008, 08:36:04 PM »

Juno. Good film
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1295 on: January 28, 2008, 10:57:01 PM »

There Will Be Blood

Amazing example of an actor diving into a character and producing a great preformance (on both Eli's/Paul's and Daniel's case. Also a nice example of what alcoholism does to you over time. Notice that he drank heavily from the beginning of the movie and just went completely down hill. Not the best movie of the year, but if Daniel Day-Lewis does not win Best Actor the Academy Awards will have lost all meaning.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1296 on: January 28, 2008, 10:59:42 PM »

True Romance.

Would've been at least twice as good if Tarantino had actually directed it. But it did have plenty of cool parts and the final shootout alone was worth it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1297 on: January 28, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »

BTW, There Will Be Blood's final scene has to be in my top 3 final scenes of all time. The other two being Pulp Fiction and The Departed.

If you expand it beyond movies though the hands down #1 winner is the Cowboy Bebop finale.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1298 on: January 29, 2008, 02:10:06 AM »

Flying High (1980)

One of the all time classics. So many good one liners. Timmy have you ever seen a grown man naked before? Surely you can fly this plane, and please don't call me Shirley.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1299 on: January 29, 2008, 02:42:56 AM »

True Romance.

Would've been at least twice as good if Tarantino had actually directed it. But it did have plenty of cool parts and the final shootout alone was worth it.

I saw that movie in early 2005...and it was excellent. Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken had a classic scene.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies