Why do modern cartoons suck so much? [my very first nostalgic rant] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Why do modern cartoons suck so much? [my very first nostalgic rant] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do modern cartoons suck so much? [my very first nostalgic rant]  (Read 9855 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 17, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
« edited: December 17, 2013, 03:30:52 PM by white trash heroes »

a lot of things coincided to produce the 1989-2000 animation boom: reagan-era deregulation and the still-profitability of saturday morning cartoons (which led to batman), cgi still being in its infancy, late boomers/gen x writers (who were influenced by things like rocky and bullwinkle and were generally more willing to push the envelope), etc. a lot of it was basically a happy accident.

also, digimon was bad. it was the poor man's pokemon in more ways than just the title.. and i knew that even as a 10 year old. but for some reason i watched anyway. i guess the characters were cute if bland. granted, the premise was actually pretty good (certainly better thought out than pokemon...) even if it totally failed to live up to its potential.

There's plenty of good animated series still airing new episodes (Adventure Time as Lief said, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, the very controversial one about horses, etc.)

Spongebob was good until about 2004 or 2005 before they replaced all the writers.

yeah but those are very much exceptions to the general trend. the 90s really were pretty remarkable in terms of the sheer volume produced in movies and cartoon shows that were critically well received. whereas something like say, nostalgia over '80s cartoons tends to be just that.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »

I am glad you prefaced this by saying it was a nostalgic rant, so I don't have to read it. Nothing against you Antonio, but there is nothing that I dread more than "nostalgic" rambling.
Modern adult TV notwithstanding, IMO we're in a low point wrt popular culture.
'modern adult tv' is pretty poor. a few shows on premium cable or amc not withstanding obviously.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »

also, digimon was bad. it was the poor man's pokemon in more ways than just the title.. and i knew that even as a 10 year old. but for some reason i watched anyway. i guess the characters were cute if bland. granted, the premise was actually pretty good (certainly better thought out than pokemon...) even if it totally failed to live up to its potential.

Really? I've always thought that the contrast with the absolutely horrendous, franchise-driven Pokemon cartoon was striking. It had a serious storyline (with real stakes, as opposed to that "I wanna be da best!!" crap), a good deal of character development, plenty of moments of awesome... Digimon is probably one of the cartoons which most made my childhood.
the original pokemon in a lot of ways was basically adventure time 1.0. pre teen kid and his intelligent animal friend interacting with other colorful characters in a post apocalyptic setting. also pokemon has a lot of male characters that are effeminate or cross dress while adventure time has two implied lesbians in the main cast so similar kind of lgbt thing going on. also gary
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2013, 12:37:10 PM by white trash heroes »

Really? I've always thought that the contrast with the absolutely horrendous, franchise-driven Pokemon cartoon was striking. It had a serious storyline (with real stakes, as opposed to that "I wanna be da best!!" crap), a good deal of character development, plenty of moments of awesome... Digimon is probably one of the cartoons which most made my childhood.
the original pokemon in a lot of ways was basically adventure time 1.0. pre teen kid and his intelligent animal friend interacting with other colorful characters in a post apocalyptic setting. also pokemon has a lot of male characters that are effeminate or cross dress while adventure time has two implied lesbians in the main cast so similar kind of lgbt thing going on. also gary

I'm not sure we're talking about the same Pokemon here...
no it is the same pokemon. we're talking about a franchise where it's canon that pokemon used to have relationships with humans in the past (before things got destroyed, seriously i'm not making this up) and that some pokemon like hypno are known to kidnap children. let that sink in.

also notice the conspicuous lack of men on the show. characters rarely have fathers (other than brock's deadbeat dad), normally just mothers. there's not a lot of men around in general that aren't teenagers or old. it's another subtle little clue that something bad happened in the not-distant past again.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies