The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:52:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 51153 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »

A GM "Hatch Act" wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

I stand strongly against any sort of restriction of GM speech. Outside of the actual reporting of news, which I have kept fairly equal, the GM should have the right to speak and act just as any other citizen.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »

Hi all, another one of those holidays, plus fall break, so I will be away from 3pm today until Monday evening. Please don't do any crazy stuff, would ya? Oh, and this should be the last holiday like this for a while.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »

Whether its most prominent residents, whose political leanings tend to favor abolition of the regions, view this as a positive or negative aspect cannot be determined by this office

I'd say its most prominent residents have a strong pro-regional tendency.  bgwah, for example, is a reactionary on the issue.

Do you even know what "reactionary" means?

Yes.
<-Radical----Liberal----Moderate----Conservative----Reactionary->

I'd say clapping your hands over your ears and going "lalala, regions are just swell in every way!" hearkens back to the days of yore entirely too much, wouldn't you?

Similarly, my impractical support of the complete abolition of regions is extreme enough (in a "change the foundations of society") way that it's clearly radical.

You just don't want to admit regions are making a big comeback as far as activity is concerned Tongue

And as far as impact is concerned, they're just as irrelevant.

Would depend on how you define impact of course. I would say that increasing activity on the Elections board and providing means for new members to orient themselves in the game and stay active is impact enough to make the regions valuable. To each their own.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »

Let's see if this will work this time... I won't be available until tomorrow night. Please don't do anything newsworthy or noteworthy until then (besides start elections).

I will try to post something on the national election when voting closes, so look out for it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »

Watch it, Purple State, before I start completely disregarding your updates.

I forgot I was limited to news you deem acceptable. Am I suddenly to disregard credible threats?

And it should be noted that I pushed this off to ensure it would not affect elections. Try to actually enjoy the game every so often Marokai. The game in general, and the position of GM in particular, is not supposed to be some dry and boring stream of news. I would say I am more conservative in my updates than past GMs.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

I'm not going to play along with random pretend terrorist attacks in New Mexico or whatever it is you've concocted. I am here to play the game, but not these ridiculous SPC-esque scenarios.

I refuse to simply be a dispenser of economic information and legislative evaluation. Stuff used to actually happen in the game, which is exactly what made it great fun. Honestly, most of the people playing this game don't care whether or not you "play along." They care that something interesting is going on. I serve the people in that regard. Do with it as you may.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »

I'd just like to clarify that I don't think Purple State is doing a bad job or that all his news should be ignored, but I just think something like this is completely out-of-left-field, unrealistic, and ultimately totally pointless and something that either no one will care about, or people will just force themselves to care about.

I understand you dont want to just be a dispenser of economic numbers, but you can do more than that and still force legislative ideas. Like "Alcohol accidents on the rise" or "Midwestern farmers undergoing harsh winter" or something like that. I think there's a certain line that we shouldn't pass when making up fake events, and things like "bombs go off in New Mexico" pretty much cross that line for me.

You can maintain activity without pretend wars and imaginary terrorists.

As will be clear soon (and is likely clear to some of the older members), this current news story actually directly flows from happenings of over 2 years ago in the Pacific region. Nor was this simply resurrected at my whim. This was specifically requested of me.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »

Just alerting you to the presence of those that are after your region. Think of it as a service I am providing, free of charge (aside from the stipend the GM gets, of course).
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2009, 03:05:53 PM »

Is it unreasonable to expect some news about the Northeast Assembly ?

I'll be launching a new series to address this today.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

Meanwhile, some experts are questioning the use of federal troops without express permission of the Senate.

One presumes this would be related to Posse Comitatus?

No, Article I, Section 5, Clause 23 of the Atlasian Constitution, which enumerates the following power of the Senate:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2009, 12:25:14 AM »

Sorry all, busy night. I will do tonight's finances and give better updates for a bunch of things tomorrow.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »

When did Albuquerque become the capital of New Mexico?

When I had very little sleep, was studying for two tests and mistook the largest city of its capital. Wink

It is now fixed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »

I haven't been following the GM reports in the last week, been distracted. Thats going to change.

Thank you for giving me a heads up. I'll work extra hard, just for you babe.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2009, 10:23:13 PM »

I haven't been following the GM reports in the last week, been distracted. Thats going to change.

Thank you for giving me a heads up. I'll work extra hard, just for you babe.

I have a question, do you get paid time off for all those Saturdays? Wink

Seeing as I haven't gotten a paycheck for this yet, I'm starting to wonder which senator is skimming the cream off the top. I'll be watching...but I'll put on these shades so you can't tell who I'm looking at. Cool
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »

I know there are a lot of new threads being started so it is hard to keep up with. This fell to page 3.

The Southeast Initiative thread. And it already has one measure on the ballot, and a second one still requiring signatures.

You know what to do.
---
Comprehensive Drug Reform Initiative

My apologies. I will edit the story to reflect that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2009, 12:41:58 AM »

Northeast
While passing substantive reforms for regional governance, the Northeast's Assembly seems to have become bogged down recently in substance-less discussion and debates over protocol. The Office of the GM recommends a revision of the legislature's SOAP to both ensure clarity and efficiency.

Why ? The protocol exists and is very clear, we just need to apply it and are just waiting for an official (Lt Gov or Speaker) to do. Revising (again) the SOAP will be a waste of time for real legislation.

I've also got legislation in waiting to deal with the issue of green jobs.

I noticed that. Just trying to move things along.

And while the SOAP itself may be fine, the Assembly seems to very often focused on questions about protocol. Perhaps clearer guidelines, or more efficient ones, would work better. Just putting it out there based on my own observations.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2009, 12:53:19 AM »

Northeast
While passing substantive reforms for regional governance, the Northeast's Assembly seems to have become bogged down recently in substance-less discussion and debates over protocol. The Office of the GM recommends a revision of the legislature's SOAP to both ensure clarity and efficiency.

Why ? The protocol exists and is very clear, we just need to apply it and are just waiting for an official (Lt Gov or Speaker) to do. Revising (again) the SOAP will be a waste of time for real legislation.

I've also got legislation in waiting to deal with the issue of green jobs.

I noticed that. Just trying to move things along.

And while the SOAP itself may be fine, the Assembly seems to very often focused on questions about protocol. Perhaps clearer guidelines, or more efficient ones, would work better. Just putting it out there based on my own observations.

Yeah, but we don't need to be told that. It's much preferred if you can give us some kind of news or data to work with. We know about the structural issues because they fall under our jurisdiction. The data is under yours and it would be appreciated.

I've given the Northeast its fair share of data as well. I give a balance of economic, social and government analysis for the regions. The position of GM has historically focused not only on numbers, but also general goings-on in Atlasia. You will continue to get numbers, but I also serve to instigate the steady flow of effective government (just see my comments on the Pacific, previous comments on the Mideast and Southeast, etc.).

Not pointing out the Northeast in particular. No worries.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2009, 12:22:09 AM »

Working on a paper and gave you all two stories last night, but forgot financials. So to make up for it, today you get only financials... Tongue

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     931 +6 (0.65%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.87345 U.S. (-0.01018)
  • Crude Oil = $93.94/barrel -0.52 (0.55%)

Analysis:
The ANSE continued to rise as economic indicators appear to be strengthening. In addition, many believe that Senator NCYank is close to releasing a credit market regulation bill to the Senate in the coming days.
The Atlasian Dollar fell as a result of the large Atlasian trade deficit. Officials in China and the European Union have begun to voice concern about the falling A$, urging policy makers to take needed measures to slow its decline.

Oil prices fell as demand for the commodity has sharply declined in recent weeks.

I am aiming for the weekend by I am hung up on the last sections. Perhaps the GM might be willing to offer some guidance on the later sections.

How big is the CDS market in Atlasia? What is the GM's recommendation regarding reforming them?

What is the GM's recomendation for leveraging/minimum reserve requirements for investment banks?

Just so it doesn't get burried, I really need this info, Purple.

Assume that financial information that detailed reflects the same as the US. Unfortunately, I do not have the level of expertise to advise anyone on how to reform the CDS market or how to properly regulate investment banks.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2009, 02:34:43 AM »

I probably won't be on much this holiday weekend. Markets are closed for the holiday until Monday. Commentary on NCY's legislation will possibly come before next week, but we will see how far I get on my paper assignment.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »

That's what we call real fiscal responsibility, I say.

However, I do not believe my name is Franzl. Tongue

Fixed. Shame on me for copying my last report. I even changed it to JCP, but forgot to change the name. Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2009, 11:16:30 PM »

In any case, thanks for the analysis, and I'll leave you criticism free this time. Tongue

Which means NCY is going to be on my case. Uch...

Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »

In any case, thanks for the analysis, and I'll leave you criticism free this time. Tongue

Or me Tongue

You failed to address its impact, if any, on those with higher taxes. So yeah, it's great that it decreases the deficit, but you failed to address the consequences of the bill.

I'll try to edit it in later or tomorrow. It is much harder to determine though.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2009, 10:34:20 PM »

Or me Tongue

You failed to address its impact, if any, on those with higher taxes. So yeah, it's great that it decreases the deficit, but you failed to address the consequences of the bill.

I'll try to edit it in later or tomorrow. It is much harder to determine though.
Please do when you get the chance. And don't forget the lesson of the 90's: "Increasing the top income tax rate always results in economic slowdown." Just ask President Gingrich. ;-)

Seeing as the legislation has just about passed, I think it is more worthwhile to address other things and come back to the impact of this soon-to-be law down the road.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2009, 06:50:03 PM »

For the record, the Office of the GM is closed for the first night of Channukah. Happy holiday to all my fellow Jews.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2009, 06:31:37 PM »

Where is the thread that discusses the pros and cons of this regional self determination thing about how regional senators or some such are elected?  The voting booth is now open on this, and I don't at present know how to vote. Thanks.

I don't often wade into general institutional reforms such as this. I do in the case of regional assemblies, but that usually involves revealing "popular" sentiment or the need for increased taxes to accommodate the growth of bureaucracy.

GM articles tend to focus on: a) economics and b) foreign policy. This extends not only to happenings around the world, but the impact of legislation on these areas. If people want me to expand to other matters, such as game mechanics, or "forum affairs," I would be happy to, but I fear that would overly politicize the Office of the GM.

That said, I could post an article on the financial and "popular" pros and cons of the amendment. If demand is expressed, I can shoot for tonight or tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies