Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:56:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360960 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: April 15, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »

Gabbard and Hillary are not being considered.   There is zero chance either will be the VP nominee. 
It’s probably best not to feed the trolls that bring them up.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #601 on: April 15, 2020, 02:26:50 PM »

Abrams takes public lobbying for the VP job to new heights:

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a32132819/stacey-abrams-on-voting-rights-covid-19-and-being-vice-president/

Stacey Abrams does not give the expected answer when I ask if she would accept an offer from former vice president Joe Biden to serve as his 2020 running mate. “Yes. I would be honored,” Abrams says. “I would be an excellent running mate. I have the capacity to attract voters by motivating typically ignored communities. I have a strong history of executive and management experience in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors. I’ve spent 25 years in independent study of foreign policy. I am ready to help advance an agenda of restoring America’s place in the world. If I am selected, I am prepared and excited to serve.”

"I would be an excellent running mate" isn't the expected answer to this question.

Abrams' blatant public lobbying has historically not been successful in becoming vice president.  Neither Gore, Cheney, Pence or Biden himself took that approach.  Perhaps she thinks it might be more effective in the social media age we live in but I find it hard to believe an old-school pol like Biden will respond well.

The viable running mate candidates are not taking this approach.  They don't need to.  
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #602 on: April 15, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »

Abrams takes public lobbying for the VP job to new heights:

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a32132819/stacey-abrams-on-voting-rights-covid-19-and-being-vice-president/

Stacey Abrams does not give the expected answer when I ask if she would accept an offer from former vice president Joe Biden to serve as his 2020 running mate. “Yes. I would be honored,” Abrams says. “I would be an excellent running mate. I have the capacity to attract voters by motivating typically ignored communities. I have a strong history of executive and management experience in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors. I’ve spent 25 years in independent study of foreign policy. I am ready to help advance an agenda of restoring America’s place in the world. If I am selected, I am prepared and excited to serve.”

"I would be an excellent running mate" isn't the expected answer to this question.

Abrams' blatant public lobbying has historically not been successful in becoming vice president.  Neither Gore, Cheney, Pence or Biden himself took that approach.  Perhaps she thinks it might be more effective in the social media age we live in but I find it hard to believe an old-school pol like Biden will respond well.

The viable running mate candidates are not taking this approach.  They don't need to.  

I recall that Endicott Peabody (former governor of MA) openly campaigned for the Democratic VP nomination in 1972.  Needless to say, it didn't go very far. Smiley
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #603 on: April 15, 2020, 02:38:39 PM »

My rankings is such (tentative)

1. Elizabeth Warren
2. Tammy Baldwin
3. Tammy Duckworth
4. Catherine Cortez Masto
5. Gretchen Whitmer or Kamala Harris

6. Amy Klobuchar
7. Stacey Abrams

8.. Tulsi Gabbard

Hillary?

no
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #604 on: April 15, 2020, 02:41:56 PM »

Wow, looks like Klobuchar, Gabbard, and Duckworth are the only good options left. Hopefully Joe sees the light.

Gabbard adds nothing.

Gabbard is so bad her selection would case major damage to Biden's chances of winning.  She is now a persona non grata in the Democratic Party, including her home state.  There would be a political firestorm and possibly even a convention walkout.  Biden is smarter than that.

So centrist Dems with TDS are gonna abandon Biden if he picks a running mate that those centrist Dems smeared with bogus accusations?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #605 on: April 15, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »

I’ve been saying Abrams was an overhyped, entitled clown ever since she refused to accept that she lost the Governor’s race fair and square, so I now accept my accolades Smiley
She conceded, so it's not like she didn't accept it. It's a fact that Kemp had his thumb on the scale by throwing voters off the rolls and Abrams is right to point that out because it can happen again this year.

Abrams didn't acknowledge the legitimacy of the election that she lost.  Kemp did not steal the Governorship from her, the voters chose to elect him.  Her inability to accept that was itself disqualifying for even a cabinet post, much less VP.  She has no respect for the democratic process.  Frankly, the Democrats would be wise not to run her again in 2022.

Local Dimmycrat loves Brian Kemp and voter suppression!

Okay, you got me!  Calling Kemp a pathetic and morally bankrupt excuse for an SoS, one of the worst governors in the country, and supporting Abrams in 2018 were all just part of my cover.  Obviously I love Kemp and voter suppression Roll Eyes  I mean, what kind of DINO dimmycrat would prioritize the rule of law and respecting the sanctity of the electoral process - even when their candidate lost - over mindless partisan hackery Huh

I’ve been saying Abrams was an overhyped, entitled clown ever since she refused to accept that she lost the Governor’s race fair and square, so I now accept my accolades Smiley
She conceded, so it's not like she didn't accept it. It's a fact that Kemp had his thumb on the scale by throwing voters off the rolls and Abrams is right to point that out because it can happen again this year.

Abrams didn't acknowledge the legitimacy of the election that she lost.  Kemp did not steal the Governorship from her, the voters chose to elect him.  Her inability to accept that was itself disqualifying for even a cabinet post, much less VP.  She has no respect for the democratic process.  Frankly, the Democrats would be wise not to run her again in 2022.

Throwing voters off the rolls while you are running for Governor is cheating. But I'm not going to argue about it with you about it because you clearly don't see that it was a problem what Kemp did.

Oh boy, more bad-faith misrepresentations of what I’ve said, lucky me Roll Eyes  

Anyway, I’ll bite.  Obviously, Kemp was a piss-poor SoS and did plenty of bad things in this capacity, what you described being one of them.  However, no laws were broken and the incident you referred to did not change the fact that the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial election was still a legitimate election whose results should be respected.  Alas, it would seem Abrams has the emotional maturity of a middle schooler.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #606 on: April 15, 2020, 03:05:41 PM »

Wow, looks like Klobuchar, Gabbard, and Duckworth are the only good options left. Hopefully Joe sees the light.

Gabbard adds nothing.

Gabbard is so bad her selection would case major damage to Biden's chances of winning.  She is now a persona non grata in the Democratic Party, including her home state.  There would be a political firestorm and possibly even a convention walkout.  Biden is smarter than that.

So centrist Dems with TDS are gonna abandon Biden if he picks a running mate that those centrist Dems smeared with bogus accusations?

No "centrist Dems" forced Gabbard to vote "present" on impeachment or say that "both sides" were to blame for the government shutdown.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #607 on: April 15, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »

Has Abrams even officially endorsed Biden, I happen to remember her being very close to Bloomberg when he was surging. She just seems opportunistic, I definitely think she passed up running for Senate because she thought she had better chance to be VP.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #608 on: April 15, 2020, 05:45:44 PM »

I really would prefer if Stacey Abrams just ignores national politics, and instead concentrate all her attention on her second gubernatorial bid in 2022.  And wins (convincingly) this time.  
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #609 on: April 15, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »

Gabbard adds nothing.

No "centrist Dems" forced Gabbard to vote "present" on impeachment or say that "both sides" were to blame for the government shutdown.
She voted present to protest the partisanship of the impeachment. It was obviously gonna pass in the house because of the Democrat majority, so her vote wasn’t needed
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #610 on: April 15, 2020, 07:50:45 PM »

Whats with all the Warren for VP stuff? Her replacement will be a republican. If Dems win a bare 50 seat senate, her being picked would mean dems lose a seat and would be down to 49.

Kamala and Duckworth are from states where a Democrat will be appointed to the vacant seat.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #611 on: April 15, 2020, 08:28:02 PM »

Warren just said on Maddow that she would accept the VP spot if offered.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #612 on: April 15, 2020, 08:34:26 PM »

Warren just said on Maddow that she would accept the VP spot if offered.
*VOMIT*
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #613 on: April 15, 2020, 08:39:24 PM »

Thirsty as hell.

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #614 on: April 15, 2020, 08:40:17 PM »

Please, Joe, if you have any sense, eliminate Warren or Abrams.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #615 on: April 15, 2020, 08:49:40 PM »

Thirsty as hell.

She asked, she answered, pretty straightforward.

She answered the same in 2016. This is not remotely close to what Abrams is doing.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #616 on: April 15, 2020, 09:05:55 PM »

The candidates for veep this time should play it cool like Biden did in '08:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGMBAUFG7Cc
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #617 on: April 15, 2020, 09:17:30 PM »

Does MA have a law where the governor can only appoint a senate replacement from a preapproved list from the legislature?? Cuz that's the only way Warren would be at least a non-detrimental pick.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #618 on: April 15, 2020, 09:18:47 PM »

Does MA have a law where the governor can only appoint a senate replacement from a preapproved list from the legislature?? Cuz that's the only way Warren would be at least a non-detrimental pick.
It's irrelevant. The legislature would just change the law to prevent Baker from jeopardizing the position of Senate Ds.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #619 on: April 15, 2020, 09:25:41 PM »

It's irrelevant. The legislature would just change the law to prevent Baker from jeopardizing the position of Senate Ds.

Good point. Why didn't they do this when Kennedy died?
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #620 on: April 15, 2020, 09:31:33 PM »

Because Deval Patrick was the governor at the time and no one would expect a Republican to win that seat.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #621 on: April 15, 2020, 09:41:39 PM »

Because Deval Patrick was the governor at the time and no one would expect a Republican to win that seat.
Yeah, no need to change the law to require a Democrat be appointed, if the governor is a Democrat and will appoint a fellow Democrat to the vacant seat.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #622 on: April 15, 2020, 09:43:06 PM »

Even if the MA legislature didn’t change the law, I think Baker’s appointment would only serve a few months.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #623 on: April 15, 2020, 10:01:41 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2020, 06:47:34 PM by Ogre Mage »

She asked, she answered, pretty straightforward.

She answered the same in 2016. This is not remotely close to what Abrams is doing.

I agree but the fact that Warren gave such a straightforward answer makes me speculate that she thinks her chances are not great.  Unquestioned short-list candidates Harris, Klobuchar and CCM all gave semi-evasive answers when asked about their running mate prospects.  They are clearly doing the Dance of the Seven Veils/Kabuki Theater that happens every four years during the running mate selection process.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #624 on: April 15, 2020, 10:04:18 PM »

Yeah, no need to change the law to require a Democrat be appointed, if the governor is a Democrat and will appoint a fellow Democrat to the vacant seat.

Completely forgot, my brain is not working today
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies