2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 12:51:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread  (Read 169910 times)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« on: September 30, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »

Worrying numbers for Democrats in North Carolina detailed in this thread.

Democrats lead in requests and returned, but of the ballots returned by Republicans, 7% are first-time voters. Just 5% of the ballots returned by Democrats are the same.

WWC surge?
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »

Andrew Bond
@AndrewBond3
·
14m
Amazing how many ballots have come in so far today in FL. 538K (3.7% turnout) in this morning was 462K.  So 76K in so far today. I could see FL hitting 1M returned by Wednesday. Still under 1% in Brevard, Clay, Hernando, Miami, Orange, Pinellas, Polk, Santa Rosa, Seminole.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17YKazYaUMZ33vmd4YHDKcVdlTkP5DmnHQQlAttwOzL0/edit#gid=1837208868

Looks like dems are at 2016 levels or a bit lower in dem % compared to clinton from early observation -

Hillsborough - 51% clinton and in this data has dem at 52% 2020
Palm Beach - 56% clinton 61% dem 2020 (i'm sure this will drop once election day comes in so prob 56%-58% in 2020 or so)
Broward - 66% clinton 63% dem 2020
Osceola - 60% clinton 55% dem 2020 (heavily hispanic county)

curious how it will be when we get more data within the next two weeks.

I'm looking at turnout too.  I am curious what kind of turnout we will get in three areas: South Florida, the Panhandle, and Orange County + surrounding counties. 

Yup agreed - Alachua (Gainesville) big college area looks okay wit the % for Biden, the panhandle is still registered as dem's so take that with a grain of salt most of those people haven't changed their registrations. I'll be curious on the margins and votes in Orange and Seminole too. 138k dem advantage today is only a slight increase, I can see once orange + miami start coming in it can be almost ~200k advantage but still far from where dems need to be in early voting. Great news for a close race as a republican.

buddy this is not how this works lol

Democrats, Republicans, and NPA(no party affiliated)/3rd Party voters requested absentee ballots in the state of Florida. The breakdown of those requests was 46-31-23 Democrat-Republican-Other.

As counties have mailed out those ballots in the past week almost 500,000 have already been returned.

Democrats have returned their ballots at a higher rate than Republicans, beyond their initial advantage in requests. This represents a shift from previous years. All this is stated in the tweet above.

If any importance is afforded to these early statistics Democrats look to be in great shape. Now I don't think these early numbers mean much other than people on both sides are eager to vote. But "Great news for a close race as a Republican" is hilariously wrong. You cannot ignore the 23% of VBM requests that come from voters not affiliated with the two major parties. I guarantee you that those voters favor Joe Biden as a whole because of the Democratic lean of the early vote in general, and possibly as a whole.

You say "still far from where Dems need to be in early voting". My question to you is where should Democrats "be" in early voting at this point, beyond outstripping Republicans in requests and outstripping Republicans even further in return rate?
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 10:44:37 PM »

If I had to guess, the early vote modeling people are freaking about in Michigan and Wisconsin is crudely putting overall voter registration stats on the requested/returned ballots, most likely by age cohort or race. This would be very misleading. We know that Democratic voters are way more inclined to use absentee ballots than Republicans this year and vice versa. Older voters are still dominating in requests and returns, and their overall registration stats may be Republican-leaning, but we know for sure that those older voters are disproportionately Democratic because they've chosen to take absentee ballots.

Just look at this stat from tonight's Glengariff poll of Michigan:

Among those that have already cast their ballot, Joe Biden holds a 60-point lead of 74.6%-14.1%.

Even considering the margin of error and the possibility of Biden winning significant chunks of Independents and Republicans that number is simply implausible with NBC's model.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 11:07:22 AM »

talk to me when dems hit 40k in this county.

it's the first day lol
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 04:38:35 PM »

At least one of the 700,000+ Virginia early votes is for Biden  Cheesy

I voted No on the redistricting amendment.

LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 04:44:41 PM »

At least one of the 700,000+ Virginia early votes is for Biden  Cheesy

I also voted NO on the redistricting amendment.

Are outside groups advertising to try and defeat that monstrosity amendment?

At least in Arlington, there's a highly organized campaign to defeat it. Signs went up last week on the medians that say "Vote No on 1. Stop Gerrymandering.". When I went to vote today there were at least three different volunteers with signs telling people to vote No with informational flyers to hand out. The Arlington Democratic Committee endorsed a No vote and their sample ballot (which I would estimate 50-60% of Arlington voters take) reflects that. I wrote something in the redistricting thread about how I think there's a pretty good chance it goes down.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 02:42:28 PM »

Pretty incredible. 5% of 2016 turnout in Harris County in an 8-hour span 20 days before Election Day.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 12:59:06 PM »

Constantly vacillating between thinking the massive Democratic enthusiasm in early voting is a great sign for November and thinking that it doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know because of the expected partisan disparity in vote method. Whatever the case, nothing looks bad for Democrats so far and that is good in itself.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »

FWIW I’m in a line in fairfax.  The gop is going through the line giving a sample ballot.  90%+ have rejected it.  Very high proportion getting the dem one (taking a photo).  This is the most republican leaning area of Fairfax...

There goes the redistricting amendment...
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 05:23:40 PM »

Ignore Target Smart. Ignore TargetSmart. Ignore TargetSmart.

LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »

I'm laughing about how one user made one post randomly declaring a 600K lead in Florida was the
the tipping point and now it's a tenet of the Atlas holy book.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »

Ignore TargetSmart. Ignore TargetSmart. Ignore TargetSmart.

It should be banned from this thread.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »

So combining VBM and early in-person did the Republicans make up ground in Florida today?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies