Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:44:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages  (Read 2679 times)
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« on: February 17, 2022, 10:23:08 AM »

Well Ivory Coast no longer exists and it's now Cote d'Ivoire. Ditto East Timor/Timor-Leste. It's hardly particular to Turks.

No one in Finland calls the country Cote d'Ivoire. It's still "Norsunluurannikko", which means "Ivory Coast".

Good for the Finns. But the country's name has become Cote d'Ivoire, even for English speakers.

Lol, no. Everyone still says Ivory Coast.

You're confusing colloquialism for officialdom. Officially, Turkey can do whatever they want, part of being a sovereign state is you can choose your name. Swaziland, Czech Republic, Macedonia have all done this pretty recently. Supposedly before Nazerbayev left power he was going to change Kazakhstan's name to Kazak Yeli because "-stan" is associated with Afghanistan/Pakistan and other areas that have wars. Colloquially is another style that means casual. Colloquially, Latin Americans believe that Americans refers to anyone living in the Americas. So a Chilean is an americano because he resides in South America, the (proper) Spanish word for American is estadounidense, literally unitedstatesian. Colloquially around the world, "American" refers to people living in the United States of America. Myself I rarely use the term America to refer to my country, I typically use U.S. instead.

This is an issue I actually deal with frequently in my day job. We now are calling it Cabo Verde rather than Cape Verde, and Cote d'Ivoire rather than Ivory Coast on the demarche of those countries, which I think is kind of funny that these countries ask us to call them something in one colonial language as opposed to another, but who am I to yuck their yum. We do refuse to call Burma by the name the junta has demanded, though.

On the U.S. demonym issue, I had the opposite experience when I was living in Colombia and called the Embassy/myself "estadounidense." People gave me odd looks and said they think of the U.S. as "americano." So that took some re-adjusting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies