Opinion of Memphis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:31:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Memphis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Opinion of Memphis  (Read 36756 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »

You certainly are a snippy one.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »

Says the preening, self-congratulatory dullard who's made a habit of railroading people's beliefs, personalities, and habits into inane generalizations against their will.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »

His statement that it's easier for women to get high-paid jobs like CEOs is a memorable example of a total disconnect with reality. 
Did he say that or is that just a parody of what he said?

I don't know why the gender imbalance of CEOs would be relevant to most people's lives in any case.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »

Says the preening, self-congratulatory dullard who's made a habit of railroading people's beliefs, personalities, and habits into inane generalizations against their will.
Sticks and stones, Mr Nate. Sticks and stones.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »

Sticks and stones, Mr Nate. Sticks and stones.

It's easy to say that when you have the most insanely overdeveloped immunity to other people's contributions, opinions, and experiences of anybody I've met or heard of this side of Harvard Square. Also, my name is Nathan. Only one friend from high school calls me Nate.

May I ask you a question? Can you commit to not railroading people's beliefs, personalities, and habits into inane generalizations against their will in the future? If not, why not?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2013, 06:58:57 PM »

His statement that it's easier for women to get high-paid jobs like CEOs is a memorable example of a total disconnect with reality. 

I don't know why the gender imbalance of CEOs would be relevant to most people's lives in any case.

He claimed that women in the US face no career obstacles for being women and in fact have it easier than men because corporations are falling over themselves to hire women and look gender-progressive, thus conspiring against the poor men.

He did concede that backwards places like Sweden may have discrimination against women, but in the US it doesn't exist.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »

Autism: Autism autism autism autism autism, autism autism autism autism autism.

Autism!

What is this post supposed to accomplish?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »

He claimed that women in the US face no career obstacles for being women and in fact have it easier than men because corporations are falling over themselves to hire women and look gender-progressive, thus conspiring against the poor men.

He did concede that backwards places like Sweden may have discrimination against women, but in the US it doesn't exist.
This one time Gus said that all men should be hung slowly by their testicles. Fact. I bet he thinks that all cisgendered people should be put into concentration camps Roll Eyes
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 07:09:04 PM by white trash heroes »

what exactly is several pages of passive aggressive sniping and the tumbler-sque sjw whinging supposed to accomplish?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »

what exactly is several pages of passive aggression and hysterical sjw type posturing supposed to accomplish?

More than whatever adolescent whim possessed you to post that was good for, at least.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »

Well, below it is. I bolded the relevant part about how it's much much easier for women to become engineers than it is for men.

It's not about legal or physical barriers. Have you never known a woman intimately? And I don't necessarily mean sleeping with one. Just knowing a woman pretty well is sufficient to see this. I had a girlfriend who avoided working for investment banks. Not because she didn't want to, because she did. Not because they said they didn't like women, because they actually did the opposite, claiming to want more female employees. But because she very acutely felt the barriers of the sexist culture of those places and the way society expects men to do such jobs better. That's just a tiny anecdotal example from a country usually considered one of the most gender-equal in the world.

You're clearly viewing this from the perspective of a man. Which is natural since you are one. But the whole idea of tolerance and human rights is that we attempt to understand those coming from other positions in life. Not only do you fail in that but you seem uninterested to even try, content to retain misogynist positions. You should really reconsider that.  
For whatever reason, my closest friends tend to be women, so please spare me the "have you ever known a woman "spiel. The question that struck me immediately after reading your post was, why do you position women as some sort of extraordinarily fragile creatures unable to advance merely because they "feel the [perceived] barriers of a sexist culture?" Are they really that weak? I certainly don't think so. What you just said is far more insulting to women that any position I have stated. I'm not at all familiar with Swedish customs or business policy, but in the United States, companies are constantly going out of their way to find female employees, especially in traditionally male dominated fields like finance or engineering. It is, in fact, far easier to get a job in one of these fields as a woman than as a man. We all had a good laugh about "binders full of women" but companies really do this. Women have a serious edge in many fields just because we're all trying to overcompensate for something that nobody can ever define concretely. Which is a bit crazy to me, but companies are more than welcome to run their HR any legal way they see fit. Regarding the Atlas, and I think that was how this thread got started in the first place, nobody takes more crap here than fat people. I would much rather be a woman posting here than a fat. But we still have plenty of fats who are able to "overcome" the slings and arrows enough to post here. I'm even a little husky myself. And as I told Nathan, who remains in his sad little trench with his fingers in his ears, you should be far more reluctant to drop words like misogynist and sexist when they don't truly apply, if only because you may need these words in the future in more appropriate circumstances. When your racist/sexist/whateverist reflex is too strong, you completely destroy the meaning of these words.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 07:16:32 PM by white trash heroes »

what exactly is several pages of passive aggression and hysterical sjw type posturing supposed to accomplish?

More than whatever adolescent whim possessed you to post that was good for, at least.
other than coming off as socially maladjusted or engaging in the usual sjw self righteousness i'm not seeing a point. you all basically said all you were going to several pages ago. if all this still offends you so badly still there's something called an ignore button on this site. click it and move on. some of us don't want this place to become more of a hug box, it's stifling enough as it is.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2013, 01:38:06 PM by Badger »

This one time Gus said that all men should be hung slowly by their testicles. Fact. I bet he thinks that all cisgendered people should be put into concentration camps Roll Eyes

See, the difference here is that you just made up something weird while I just quoted what you said.

Anyway, I'd never be so condescending so as to assume you're one of these weak people who could be hurt or offended by anything. You're a man, after all. So I'll continue to point out that you should probably have a restraining order from women in general, so as to save them from you deciding to 'compliment' them. I'm sure you're not enough of a sissy to complain about some rowdy banter between mates, right?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »

The fact that such policies exist because a traditionally male dominated field by definition means it is easier for men to work in it is conveniently ignored. Seriously, what the hell?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »

I think the one thing I learned from these threads is how deeply ingrained the desire and sense of being right is here.  The Atlas forum is overall a self satisfied bunch. The culture is frequently bereft of any sort of consensus building or common ground in arguments these days. This I would think is a by product of being a rather homogeneous male bastion.  And I think of lot of this is based on class even more than gender.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »

I'll continue to point out that you're a repulsive excuse for a human being...
Supremely classy. And totally not beneath the dignity of a moderator. You, sir, are a completely mentally balanced man who thoroghly demonstrates male superiority.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »

Well, below it is. I bolded the relevant part about how it's much much easier for women to become engineers than it is for men.

I don't find it at all hard to believe that HR departments go out of their way to hire female applicants in some of these fields. Judging by what you said in your post he was responding to, I'm guessing you don't either?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »

I think the one thing I learned from these threads is how deeply ingrained the desire and sense of being right is here.  The Atlas forum is overall a self satisfied bunch. The culture is frequently bereft of any sort of consensus building or common ground in arguments these days. This I would think is a by product of being a rather homogeneous male bastion.  And I think of lot of this is based on class even more than gender.

For me, this thread was never about being right. It was about doing the right thing and not letting bigotry fly.

I wasn't talking about anyone or anything in particular. Just a tangent or brain dropping of how I see the forum culture. A broad brush generalization of the sense I get is that you have many highly intelligent people here who have been told their whole lives that they are special, gifted and destined for great things. That type of thing builds confidence but it also can build a high level of hubris.  You do not find these levels of certitude in kids who got verbally and physically abused by their broke parents and expected to amount to nothing by teachers and society. My own hubris comes from a dark place and was more of a defense mechanism. It presents in an overall wishy washy core but more capable of seeing both sides of an argument. Anyway enough of my introspective psycho babble. Carry on.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »

other than coming off as socially maladjusted or engaging in the usual sjw self righteousness i'm not seeing a point. you all basically said all you were going to several pages ago. if all this still offends you so badly still there's something called an ignore button on this site. click it and move on. some of us don't want this place to become more of a hug box, it's stifling enough as it is.

Including coming off as socially maladjusted and engaging in 'the usual sjw self righteousness' I'm not seeing a point to your initial post. The rest of what you say here is duly noted, to the extent that I can parse it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »

What's "sjw"?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2013, 07:58:34 PM »

Alas. 

By the way, you have become quite the philosopher since you're off the sauce. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2013, 08:01:22 PM »

For me, this thread was never about being right. It was about doing the right thing and not letting bigotry fly.

I wasn't talking about anyone or anything in particular. Just a tangent or brain dropping of how I see the forum culture. A broad brush generalization of the sense I get is that you have many highly intelligent people here who have been told their whole lives that they are special, gifted and destined for great things. That type of thing builds confidence but it also can build a high level of hubris.  You do not find these levels of certitude in kids who got verbally and physically abused by their broke parents and expected to amount to nothing by teachers and society. My own hubris comes from a dark place and was more of a defense mechanism. It presents in an overall wishy washy core but more capable of seeing both sides of an argument. Anyway enough of my introspective psycho babble. Carry on.
I think you're being a little presumptuous about the backgrounds of posters here. Not trying to throw myself a pity party, but I think it's fair to call my childhood abusive and broke. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Atlas posters are also a special kind of smart that frequently doesn't get much recognition in the real world. Socially awkward and stubborn bunch without a natural talent for picking up on unspoken but important cues.  I don't expect many of us to amount to great successes in the future. At least not in the traditional sense of the word.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18:14 PM »

SawxDem's pics are what makes this thread worthwhile.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »

I think you're being a little presumptuous about the backgrounds of posters here. Not trying to throw myself a pity party, but I think it's fair to call my childhood abusive and broke. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Atlas posters are also a special kind of smart that frequently doesn't get much recognition in the real world. Socially awkward and stubborn bunch without a natural talent for picking up on unspoken but important cues.  I don't expect many of us to amount to great successes in the future. At least not in the traditional sense of the word.

Well as I said, Im open to the possibility/probability that I have absolutely no clue what Im talking about. Things get lost in broad brush statements too. After I posted it I did think that for some posters their intelligence is also their solace from some isolation or bullying and they hold it dear. Same defense mechanism, I guess. And also do confident people need to be so right, hmm. Damned if I know Smiley
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »

Alas. 

By the way, you have become quite the philosopher since you're off the sauce. 

Ha, I'd like to think that the years of constant ritualized self abuse taught me something. Foremost among them: never go to McCarron Airport Las Vegas hungover and on verge of withdrawal. That is ninth circle of hell type of pain.

Back on my tangent, I wonder if could all be the earnestness of youth at play.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies