ME: Independents Gaining Traction (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:05:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME: Independents Gaining Traction (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME: Independents Gaining Traction  (Read 64727 times)
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« on: April 12, 2017, 07:08:56 AM »

I'll happily vote for Collins for governor if that means I get a progressive senator. Troy Jackson please.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:14:16 PM »

Poliquin is overrated and I doubt he'd be able to win statewide. He's not even a good fit for the second district. It's more blue collar and he's the typical rich snake oil salesman professional politician who's run for office after office. He's lucky Democrats are incompetent and can't put forward a candidate who's appealing to the district. The last time he ran for governor, he placed sixth out of seven candidates in the Republican primary. Then he lost the Republican primary in 2012 to challenge Angus King. It doesn't seem like his own party even likes him.

As for Collins, I'd love to see her run for governor so we can get someone better in the Senate. I've noticed a lot of people are upset with her for not stopping DeVos from coming out of committee.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

I live near Sanford so I'm interested to see what he's all about. I'm not feeling the moderate label but I do like his military experience and background in renewable energy.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »

Justin Alfond sitting this one out:

http://mainepublic.org/post/justin-alfond-says-he-s-not-running-governor#stream/0

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »

I fear Mills will be Libby Mitchell/Mike Michaud 2.0. Troy Jackson would be better.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »

Mitchell was hardly a nobody. She's the only woman in U.S. history to be the speaker of a state's House and the president of a state's Senate (and she had been in state government for over 30 years when she ran for governor).  Yes she was bland, uninspiring, and ran a godawful campaign but she was known and had the credentials.

I could easily see Mills being the "favorite" of the Maine Democratic party, the person they think is the best fit and best positioned to win in the general... only for voters not to warm up to her and look elsewhere (especially if she relies too heavily on her name instead of running an aggressive and bold campaign). Perhaps I'm skeptical since I've seen Dems go down this safe, establishment candidate route lately only to fail. We shall see what her campaign focuses on though.

GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »

Moody is the one I have my eye on right now (not to vote for, but someone who I think is in a strong position). Not only does he have Lepage staffers on his team, but he was an independent last go around and the independent label goes a long way here. Not to mention, he's a small business owner and not your typical politician. Commercials for Moody's Collision Center always seem to be playing.

I think the Democratic field is pretty weak too so I don't see this as much of an easy D pick-up as some others do.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 09:13:40 PM »

I love this race. So many candidates!

I'm still wrapping my head around the Moody/LePage news. I understand running the "Augusta sucks because of the political class" type of campaign -- and trust me, he's doing that -- but Moody is so unlike LePage in temperament. He's down to Earth, personable, easy to talk to. Not 100% bluster like LePage.

It worries me that he'd be tied so close to the Governor. But I'll wait for more before making a decision on him. I think for right now, if I HAD to vote for a Republican, my preferred choice would be Thibodeau.

What are your thoughts on the Democratic candidates?
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/rep-chellie-pingree-says-shes-seriously-considering-running-for-governor/496673023

Well, this is interesting...
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »

Do you have anyone you're pulling for? I'm underwhelmed with the choices thus far.

GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 08:05:25 PM »

That shows why I'll likely support Mills. With such a controversial issue in our state, it's smart to give nuanced explanations.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »

I don't even know who I'm rooting for. It's nice to see two candidates from down my way (Cote and Eves) but I don't like either of them. I was leaning toward Mills since she's from the second district and that could help moderates swing toward Golden for ME02 if he pulls out the Dem nomination. I tend to like more progressive candidates but Russell is running a joke campaign. I need to give Sweet another look but my worry with her is that she'll seem super unelectable next to "small businessman everyday guy" Shawn Moody if he's the Republican nominee. Usually I'm firmly in someone's camp by now.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »

What I'm most surprised by is how Eves hasn't taken off at all. He's likely battling for third behind Mills & Cote.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 01:22:35 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2018, 01:26:05 AM by GoldenMainer »

Just got around to watching the last debate (as I usually do on a night when I can't sleep, ha).

I found myself agreeing the most with Sweet, Mills, and Russell. Sweet comes across as very down-to-earth and I liked her answer about the last 2 years of college being free when you've completed a year of service (I was waiting for someone to speak about a service option). I also appreciated her desire to work with young farmers. I agree with a previous poster in that I wish she wouldn't refer to herself as a lobbyist. It has a negative connotation and doesn't do her previous work justice.

Russell had the best answer on the opioid crisis about the need to look at the public health impact of Hepatitis/HIV. Her campaign finance issues are a problem which is a bummer considering I agree with a lot of what she says.

Mills isn't as progressive as I am but I've warmed up to her. She is incredibly knowledgeable, I like that she places emphasis on the need for a prosperous second district (not just a prosperous first). I loved that she went after Cote in the debate- his ads suck. I find her the most prepared to really hit the ground running when she's elected.

Eves is just there for me. I don't like him or dislike him. His answers don't do anything for me. He's from my area so I should be rooting for the "hometown guy" but he's too bland and a bit vague.

Donna Dion- No opinion, does nothing for me. Not a serious contender.

Mark Dion- Don't care for him.

I find Cote slimy. I'm a couple towns away from Sanford and know the area well. It's a real sh!thole- obviously not his fault but I don't see his "leadership" in the town anywhere. Main Street is full of potholes, drugs everywhere, and the town government is notorious for being incompetent at practically everything so for him to tout himself as some sort of "leader" in the town is a joke. I found his answer about being a Republican until 2006 to be unsatisfying and I'm skeptical about some of the people standing behind him.

My ranking as of now looks something like:  

Sweet > Mills > Russell > Eves > D. Dion > M. Dion > Cote
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »

These Bangor Daily News maps are interesting. Hopefully Sweet stays ahead of Eves so we can see how many of his votes she got. I see Mills pulling this out but it'll be a close finish.

http://stateandcapitol.bangordailynews.com/2018/06/13/see-how-democrats-who-want-lepages-job-fared-in-your-town/

http://stateandcapitol.bangordailynews.com/2018/06/13/follow-moodys-march-to-victory-town-by-town/
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 07:30:47 AM »

Meh, I think Janet Mills's weaknesses are a bit overstated. While I don't agree with her on Native American water rights, I don't see that issue even being in the top 5 issues voters care about. In the age of Trump, who's going to say "I'm okay with batsh**t insane Lepage 2.0 Moody so I'll vote for centrist Terry Hayes because I don't agree with centrist Janet Mills on Native American water rights"? And previously having an A+ rating from the NRA isn't a horrible thing for a statewide campaign. Being tough on guns may win some votes in Portland and wealthy coastal areas, but it'll lose you votes anywhere inland and northern. Even common sense measures like background checks don't win on the ballot in this state. I mean, I want a candidate to be "bold" but I also want to win a general election because I'm tired of this state being ruled by crazy people. If I have to compromise on some things, I will.

Since all of team Lepage has been behind Moody, this race is mainly going to be a referendum on Lepage. I think we can win that and when we do, Mills can easily be pushed to sign some strong Democratic legislation.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »

We'll likely get 100% of the first round votes in today. Then onto the second round tomorrow.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »

So four rounds would be after Eves was knocked out I'm guessing. So a fair amount of his second place votes must have gone to Mills. I'm excited to see the round by round numbers.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »

So four rounds would be after Eves was knocked out I'm guessing. So a fair amount of his second place votes must have gone to Mills. I'm excited to see the round by round numbers.
After four rounds Sweet was eliminated. Election night was "round 0".

Ah, in my rush to judgment I looked past the 54-46 numbers. Thank you!

GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »

I'd take Terry Hayes more seriously if she actually had an issues page on her website. It's almost July and... nothing. Even Alan Caron has one.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »

Great ad running in support of Janet! (There's another one I've seen as well, though I couldn't find it on Youtube). Both are highlighting Janet using settlement money from fraud cases to expand skills/technical school programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luqZ8JfDM8A
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »

A Democrat in the Blaine House and a Democratic Senate and House? Nice. And Janet won Franklin County!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies