Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:36:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55]
Author Topic: Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.  (Read 185778 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: October 24, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »

The people don't want that.

it is simply crazy to see leaders who don't understand religion helping to overthrow nonreligious dictators in support of Islamist elements...talk about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I suspect they understand religion about as well as you do.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1351 on: October 24, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »

If one can consume beef in India, one should be able to kick back on a Tripoli beach and indulge in a bacon cheeseburger and a Dead Guy Ale.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1352 on: October 25, 2011, 12:35:22 AM »

They can keep the ban on alcohol, as long as they also ban suburbs and Ralph Nader.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1353 on: October 25, 2011, 01:19:52 AM »

They don't have too many suburbs already and I doubt Nader would be visiting there anytime soon.

In regards to Gaddafi's death, the NTC have announced that there will be an investigation (which won't reveal anything everyone didn't already know, he was an asshole and someone shot him) and that he's been buried in an unmarked and unrevealed location somewhere in the desert.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1354 on: October 25, 2011, 05:39:50 AM »

SIRTE, Libya –  A fuel tank exploded in Muammar Qaddafi's hometown of Sirte, killing more than 100 people, less than a week after the former Libyan leader was captured and killed there, a military commander said Tuesday.

"There was an enormous explosion and a huge fire. More than 100 people were killed and 50 others wounded," Transitional National Council (TNC) commander Leith Mohammed said.

He said the scene of Monday night's blast was "a heart-wrenching spectacle, with dozens of charred bodies."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/10/25/fuel-depot-blast-in-libya-kills-100

Could have been some way to get rid of some Gadaffi-loyalists if you ask me.

Or just a tragic coincidence.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1355 on: October 25, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »

So, just like every other country that's predominantly Muslim? okay, sounds fine.
Are you totally ignorant or are you just being a hack on purpose?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_with_Sharia_rule.png
Or perhaps Turkey, Albania, Senegal, Mali, Niger, Chad, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are not countries?

A little of column A, a little of column B.

The fight against theocratic rule is really only important for enlightened, Christian countries. The barbarians can't be expected to understand such things. 

So there are some exceptions, but the vast majority of Muslims live in countries with legal systems based to some degree on Islamic law

Regarding Gustaf's dumb strawman, one could also facetiously argue that systems of law should only be developed by enlightened, Christian peoples. The barbarians can't be trusted with the responsibility of writing their own legal codes. But one won't.

Come on Gustaf, I know you're not really a fan of Muslims, but let's not be a Sharia-fear-monger like some ignorant Oklahoman.
We seem to be reading some different maps. The only countries to have laws like the ones the NTC suggests are Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Jordan and Libya (one wonders what exactly Unislamic is left in their law). Most others use them with a combination of other law systems and some (including Indonesia, the biggest Muslim country) use them only in family law.

As for Gustaf, you seem to have missed his point. To make it more clear, would you want to live in a country, where no law may contradict Christian teachings?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1356 on: October 25, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »

If the people want Sharia law, then they ought to be able to have it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1357 on: October 25, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »

Some new and... er... lurid... details have emerged...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2011/oct/25/gaddafi-burial-live-updates#block-4
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1358 on: October 25, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »

So, just like every other country that's predominantly Muslim? okay, sounds fine.
Are you totally ignorant or are you just being a hack on purpose?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_with_Sharia_rule.png
Or perhaps Turkey, Albania, Senegal, Mali, Niger, Chad, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are not countries?

A little of column A, a little of column B.

The fight against theocratic rule is really only important for enlightened, Christian countries. The barbarians can't be expected to understand such things. 

So there are some exceptions, but the vast majority of Muslims live in countries with legal systems based to some degree on Islamic law

Regarding Gustaf's dumb strawman, one could also facetiously argue that systems of law should only be developed by enlightened, Christian peoples. The barbarians can't be trusted with the responsibility of writing their own legal codes. But one won't.

Come on Gustaf, I know you're not really a fan of Muslims, but let's not be a Sharia-fear-monger like some ignorant Oklahoman.

Your strawman is actually dumb. You seem to be saying that religious law is fine in Muslim countries. Yet, I don't think that you would maintain that it is fine for a Christian country to have religious law. Thus, you are implying that you think a different standard should apply to different groups of people.

I, on the other hand, don't think that Muslims are incapable of writing secular law. On the contrary, I think that they, like GMantis said, have done so in several places.

I don't dislike Muslims - I merely dislike theocracy. I thought you did too?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1359 on: October 25, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »

For those that can't be bothered to click on the link, apparently it involved a metal object of some kind. There's a video out there on the internets; they showed part of it (but not the... er... insertion) on Channel 4 News earlier.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1360 on: October 25, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »

jmfcst supports spiking the football.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1361 on: October 26, 2011, 02:35:41 AM »

For those that can't be bothered to click on the link, apparently it involved a metal object of some kind. There's a video out there on the internets; they showed part of it (but not the... er... insertion) on Channel 4 News earlier.

Did we really want to know ?
lowtech redneck
« Reply #1362 on: October 26, 2011, 04:32:58 AM »

Most others use them with a combination of other law systems and some (including Indonesia, the biggest Muslim country) use them only in family law.

Two things:

1.) Its most important to evaluate what aspects of Shariah law are incorporated into the total body of law, how explicit that incorporation is, and which laws have precedence over conflicting laws.  For example, no matter how much English common law is incorporated into their system, Pakistan is still governed by Shariah law where it counts (with the probable exception of interests rates).

2.) You also have to see how the laws are enforced; laws regarding religious freedom (already somewhat deficient by American standards) and religious equality are commonly ignored in Indonesia, and Ahmadis and Christians in most areas of the country suffer discrimination and effectively cannot even worship freely.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1363 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »

Amusing to see Lief, who just few weeks ago praised Chinese dictatorship over "stupid American Democracy" to become such a democrat now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1364 on: October 26, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »

Amusing to see Lief, who just few weeks ago praised Chinese dictatorship over "stupid American Democracy" to become such a democrat now.

Lief probably wants to see the monarchy restored in Libya.

Libyan monarchy actually wasn't that bad, but it's over 40 years too late to consider it seriously (and it wouldn't make sense). King Idris did far more in building an actual state and an actual society, than tribal man Daffy was.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1365 on: October 26, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »

Anyway, I think history will remember Gaddafi as a political troll: all the wars he waged against neighbours (all unsuccessful), his attempts to replace Nasser as main Arab leader (lol) and other stuff.

Ironically, Gaddafi was closest to achieve real international prominence at the very end, due to active policy in Africa.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1366 on: October 26, 2011, 03:04:14 PM »

Anyway, I think history will remember Gaddafi as a political troll: all the wars he waged against neighbours (all unsuccessful), his attempts to replace Nasser as main Arab leader (lol) and other stuff.

I think that's a quite fitting description. He was above all a clown seeking for attention.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1367 on: October 26, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »

I think that's a quite fitting description. He was above all a clown seeking for attention.

You just can't describe it other way.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1368 on: October 26, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »

If one can consume beef in India, one should be able to kick back on a Tripoli beach and indulge in a bacon cheeseburger and a Dead Guy Ale.

Indeed. Though I have never eaten Beef in India. No need when there is such good food being served by family all the time. I would really like to try. I did make Biryani with Beef on my own. It was pretty good. Would like to try it in Hyderabad itself though. Or Bengali style meat curry with Beef instead of Goat.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1369 on: October 26, 2011, 11:19:21 PM »

From the "what goes around, comes around" department:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15471734

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1370 on: October 27, 2011, 07:48:02 AM »

From the "what goes around, comes around" department:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15471734

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, I can believe this one, giving Muammar's habit of supporting various such groups, as well as his historically f**ked up relations with Sudan.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies