Papal Conclave - 2007 Info Center
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:54:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Papal Conclave - 2007 Info Center
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Papal Conclave - 2007 Info Center  (Read 48657 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2007, 08:58:39 PM »

Thanks Joe  Smiley
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »

Hey Soult,

Exams start next week for me. I'm not looking for slack...but what would be nice, if you can do it, is some sort of estimated time table. I won't hold you to precise deadlines but a notice of when things will occur (and updated schedules) would help me.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2007, 12:46:19 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2007, 12:54:20 AM by Supersoulty »

Hey Soult,

Exams start next week for me. I'm not looking for slack...but what would be nice, if you can do it, is some sort of estimated time table. I won't hold you to precise deadlines but a notice of when things will occur (and updated schedules) would help me.

Judging by the speed of things now, I think the first ballot will be finished by Mondayish.... second ballot by Thursdayish... and so on.

Sorry, I know this is a difficult time for everyone.  I myself will be going from a single "college apt" to a "real" single apt soon, so I might have to take more than a few days off.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2007, 05:30:18 AM »

I should also add that this seems like a very good effort from your side Soulty. This could be a real game, IMO (go make some money!). Wink

Very well thought out, as far as I can tell. The reason for my question was that I take it we are thus not allowed to try and influence the vote on openness?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2007, 09:11:02 AM »

I should also add that this seems like a very good effort from your side Soulty. This could be a real game, IMO (go make some money!). Wink

Very well thought out, as far as I can tell. The reason for my question was that I take it we are thus not allowed to try and influence the vote on openness?

You each get a very short opening statement, if you chose to use it, but other than that, no.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2007, 09:18:46 AM »

Also, to be honest, it is already kinda inspired by another game.  In Medieval II: Total War, one of the aspects of the game is the Papacy... specifically, having Cardinal Electors from your country, then trying to get one of your own elected.  I was having so much fun with that part, that I thought "why not make this into a game?"  I thought how I might do that, then I remembered Joe's ill-fated Primary game and thought I could pull this off, as I didn't think it would be as labor intensive... huh... I thought it wouldn't be anyway.  ha
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2007, 10:06:03 PM »

Hey, can you guys do me a favor?  For the rest of the Conclave, could you please post your character names in your sigs.  Makes it easier for me to keep track of things.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »

Another thing, I decided to keep track of the voteing of spread sheet, trouble is, I have almost no expirience with Excel... Once I hide a column, how do I unhide it... I tried clicking on the space where it shoudl be and hitting "unhide" didn't work
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »

Nevermind, I got it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2007, 10:00:14 PM »

Another thing, I decided to keep track of the voteing of spread sheet, trouble is, I have almost no expirience with Excel... Once I hide a column, how do I unhide it... I tried clicking on the space where it shoudl be and hitting "unhide" didn't work

First go to Edit > Go To... and type in "(column letter)1" (without the quotes), and then go to Format > Column > Unhide.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2007, 09:50:04 AM »

First go to Edit > Go To... and type in "(column letter)1" (without the quotes), and then go to Format > Column > Unhide.

Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2007, 01:42:22 PM »

This is just a minor quibble, but Cardinals position their title between their first and last names.  So it'd be Joseph Cardinal Delaney, not Cardinal Joseph Delaney, and so on.

As I said, it's just a minor quibble, but if this isn't addressed, then I'll delete all of these Papal Conclave threads.

Ha ha, just kidding.  But seriously, I'll do it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2007, 06:36:06 PM »

Hey guys, Yates decided to step out... I contacted Akno about taking his place, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.  I'm gonna proceed now.  I'll just fold Yates' character into the other Key Cardinals, but he will be unable to win.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »

In the next few weeks we will change the world forever.  We can make it better or worse, it's on you.

Wow... that's ballsy Harry... your comming out swinging.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2007, 12:57:12 PM »

Anyway, one thing I wanted to note... voting for yourself won't be seen as immodest, since this is a game and all.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2007, 07:29:18 PM »

Do we vote in the Vatican thread or through PM?

I'm sorry if this is covered in the rules.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2007, 07:29:26 PM »

I guess I should have specified that you are allowed to have some sort of subtantive content.  You guys kinda all sound like recordings of one another.

Substance?  Substance is for the later rounds.  Now is time for earnest platitudes Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2007, 08:01:34 PM »

Do we vote in the Vatican thread or through PM?

I'm sorry if this is covered in the rules.

I'm sorry, the thread
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2007, 09:22:26 PM »

Another question, can we vote for the non-player Cardinals?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2007, 09:54:40 PM »

Another question, can we vote for the non-player Cardinals?

Ummm... I suppose but they cant win
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2007, 01:35:22 PM »

Could you perhaps explain a bit more in detail what we do to influence other cardinals?  I'm not quite sure what to do here.  I know that we're supposed to PM you who we want to talk to and what we want to talk about, but I'm not 100% sure exactly the format you want that in or the full list of what we're allowed to talk about.

Also, is there any difference between speaking to a faction leader and speaking to an individual cardinal (besides the fact that we can only talk to one faction leader as opposed to three cardinals)?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »

Could you perhaps explain a bit more in detail what we do to influence other cardinals?  I'm not quite sure what to do here.  I know that we're supposed to PM you who we want to talk to and what we want to talk about, but I'm not 100% sure exactly the format you want that in or the full list of what we're allowed to talk about.

Also, is there any difference between speaking to a faction leader and speaking to an individual cardinal (besides the fact that we can only talk to one faction leader as opposed to three cardinals)?

It will be in a loose conversational format.  Basically, you can discuss whatever issue you like.  If you want to talk about your expirience, then that's fine.  If you want to talk about an issue, then go for it.  If you want talk about the person you are talking to, then that's just as good.

As for the difference between a Faction Leader and a standard Cardinal, the effects of speaking to the one Faction Leader won't be as immediate.  However, others will be more influenced by the actions of a Faction Leader over a few turns, so you get more bang for your buck in the end.

As for the speeches, they can be about anything, and any number of things, I just ask you to keep them to about 2 paragraphs or 14-18 sentences.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »

It will be in a loose conversational format.  Basically, you can discuss whatever issue you like.  If you want to talk about your expirience, then that's fine.  If you want to talk about an issue, then go for it.  If you want talk about the person you are talking to, then that's just as good.

As for the difference between a Faction Leader and a standard Cardinal, the effects of speaking to the one Faction Leader won't be as immediate.  However, others will be more influenced by the actions of a Faction Leader over a few turns, so you get more bang for your buck in the end.

As for the speeches, they can be about anything, and any number of things, I just ask you to keep them to about 2 paragraphs or 14-18 sentences.

So in what format should we PM you our instructions, just something like "I would like to talk to X about Y"?  We don't actually tell you exactly what we want to say (i.e., the exact words), yes?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions; I just want to make sure I don't waste your time by doing things wrong. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2007, 04:41:18 PM »

So in what format should we PM you our instructions, just something like "I would like to talk to X about Y"?  We don't actually tell you exactly what we want to say (i.e., the exact words), yes?

Well, if you aren't too confident in you ability to speak in detail about a certain subject, then you can do it that way.  If you want to get into a detailed discussion about an issue, it will be more appealing to an intellectual Cardinal, unless, of course, you find that you have significant disagreements.  Basically, you will say what you want to talk about, then if you want to take questions.  I will then PM you some questions, and so on.

Now, if you want to talk about somethign personal, you have to include details and be willing to discuss.  Remember, you still have your one question per turn, so....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not at all.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2007, 04:46:22 PM »

Well, if you aren't too confident in you ability to speak in detail about a certain subject, then you can do it that way.  If you want to get into a detailed discussion about an issue, it will be more appealing to an intellectual Cardinal, unless, of course, you find that you have significant disagreements.  Basically, you will say what you want to talk about, then if you want to take questions.  I will then PM you some questions, and so on.

Now, if you want to talk about somethign personal, you have to include details and be willing to discuss.  Remember, you still have your one question per turn, so....

All righty, thanks for your responses. Smiley

I suppose I just have one last question before I can get this thing going, which is to inquire how long you'd like specific dialog to be (to a specific cardinal, not in a speech).  Evidently if you were having a real conversation with someone, you'd talk at length back and forth, but since this is just a game, I'm assuming that you'd prefer not to have it too long.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies