Yes or No. Is the universe 12,000 years old? Dont hide behind your bible. No but (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:54:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Yes or No. Is the universe 12,000 years old? Dont hide behind your bible. No but (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the universe 12,000 years old?
Yes (d)

No (d)

Yes (r)

No (r)

Yes (i)

No (i)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Yes or No. Is the universe 12,000 years old? Dont hide behind your bible. No but  (Read 28673 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 25, 2006, 10:06:53 AM »

No character assassinating. Simple question. Dont dodge. Just answer it- is the universe 12,000 years old?

No one can answer this question, since no one knows for sure.  No one was here 12,000 years ago.

(Bad poll)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 10:12:59 AM »

Of course not.

No one may have been alive 12,000 years ago, but that is a cop out answer. Geologists, geographers, historians, physicists, biologists, paleontolgoists, astronomers, you name it use science to allow us to see past our own recorded history. The universe is closer to around 15 billion years old.

Again, who knows that God didn't create the universe that way?  If he could make life, he certainly could put fossils in the ground.  Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »

Anyway, her poll should read "Do you think the universe is 12,000 years old?"  Since none of us are scientists specializing in the creation of the universe, none of us could answer the question as proposed.  Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »

No. Evidence points to it being much, much older than that. Even if God created the universe only a few thousand years ago, it has the appearance of being older. So logically, even if that's the case, then we must treat it as such since we are left with no evidence to indicate otherwise.

Oh, you take the fun out of the debate.  Sad  hehehe
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 11:26:57 AM »

Science is the only thing that can beat religion and free the millions of lost minds.

Coming from the person with the screen name "MissCatholic."  So, are you a lost mind?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 12:00:51 PM »

Science is the only thing that can beat religion and free the millions of lost minds.

Coming from the person with the screen name "MissCatholic."  So, are you a lost mind?

I believe in God but the catholic faith doesnt tell people in a church paid for by the republican party that theuniverse is 12,000 years old. intelligent design is fact and theory of evolution is garbage.

my religion is not religious fascism.

So, in your case, you can have your cake and eat it too, but for everyone else, it's either "enlightenment" or "fascism," right?  Hmmmmmmm

Let's break it down real simple for you so you can understand.

1)  An incredibly small portion of "Christians" believe every fundamentalist thing you hear in the news, including that the Universe is only 12,000 years old.  However, you like to imply that all Republican "Christians" believe these things because they are brainwashed.  That is simply partisan blindness on your behalf, and ignorant of your history, especially when JFK was criticized for being Catholic, or with Rev. Billy Graham being a religious advisor for Johnson and Clinton.

2)  You can be religious and yet quite informed.  My "Christian" life never stopped me from learning about the inner workings of steam, diesel, and nuclear engines.  It doesn't get in the way of pretty much every other "Christian" out there either, no matter how hard you try to say other wise (again, isolating yourself from your own attacks by implying that it is a Republican-only problem).

3)  You never answered the paradox in your other thread when you proposed the Government telling people their religious beliefs are wrong. 

Look, obviously you just hate Republicans, and are using religious-based attacks to express your feelings.  However, you look awfully silly doing so when you still carry your MissCatholic screen name.  So why don't you do everyone a big favor and get over yourself before you make yourself look even more foolish with trollish threads as these?

only one republican has got the guts to answer the question.

A perfect example of what I just said.  Thanks for the material.  Roll Eyes
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:18:18 AM »

For the non-fundamentalists, or even the fundamentalist that have an open mind (not sure if there is such a thing), that wander into this thread and are looking for some more info on the construction of the bible and the Christian "faith" here is a link to the entire summary of which I posted a small amount.

I'm fairly sure that quite a few of todays Christians would drop their belief in fairy tales on a dime if they were exposed to some of this stuff or at least start asking meaningful questions about the core belief in their lives. Of course, there are plenty that would not. It just seems unfair to the youth of this country that the orgins of the bible are kept hidden from plain view and that they are asked to answer questions so complex without any where close to all the available information.

You would be quite surprised by how many of us open-minded fundamentalists actually exist.  And while the website you provided does try to point out some of the inconsistencies in the Bible (after all, it was written by more than one person, in multiple languages, and then translated over and over again over time), the site itself is not free of some bias.  The majority of Christians understand this, but that doesn't mean the core of the Bible isn't flawed . . . which is where faith comes into play. 

Of course, with anything, knowledge comes with age.  Kids  aren't going to fully understand the Bible nor history at first.  I know many adults who still don't.  It requires effort and time . . . something which seems to be lacking in modern times.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 09:56:59 AM »

Critical thinking requires information. Blind faith requires an avoidance of information. Faith, on the other hand, is a completely different story than blind faith. But blind faith is the calling of many.

Might be of "many," but it definitely is of "most."  Most people question what they hear and read, be it in church, in the office, or at home.  There are very few people in our society which are literally lambs to the slaughter.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies