CA-Sen: California Quake
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:00:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Sen: California Quake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Author Topic: CA-Sen: California Quake  (Read 48660 times)
tallguy23
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2015, 09:02:17 PM »

Harris is the best choice politically. Besides her skills she checks off a bunch of demographics (female, black, Asian). Newsom is a better fit for Gov in 2018 and it seems like that's his dream job.

God I hope Villaraigosa doesn't run. He's so slimy and was a total failure as mayor of LA.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2015, 09:13:10 PM »

Harris/Steyer/Villaraigosa as 3 Dems? Pass a whole truck of popcorn.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2015, 09:27:22 PM »

Here's hoping for Harris
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »

If Kashkari or Maldonado runs, this could actually be close.  But if a mainstream conservative like Carly Fiorina couldn't beat Boxer in a GOP year, and if the Republicans have totally collapsed at the state level, then it may not be possible for them to elect a Senator either.  Sad
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2015, 10:39:08 PM »

Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom, Kevin De Leon and John Chiang seem like the best bets for Democrats to me.

Dark Horses (to run) would be Loretta Sanchez, Xavier Becerra, Hilda Solis, Toni Atkins and Ed Lee.

As for Republicans, who knows.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2015, 10:47:31 PM »

The DSCC will definitely get behind one candidate, as will the state party. I expect the field to be cleared for someone before it gets close to the primary.

Haha, that's a good one.
Panda Express

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2015, 10:49:27 PM »

Thank God Boxer retired. It was getting annoying seeing her and Feinstein continuously park their fat asses on these valuable seats. California has a deep bench of potential rising stars, something the Democratic Party desperately needs.

Will Vilagrosso be formidable? He could consolidate the Latino vote and he was the mayor of by far the biggest city in CA... I'm hoping Harris takes the plunge though.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »

I'm pulling for Villaraigosa
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2015, 11:06:38 PM »

If it really has to be a Democrat I guess I'm pulling for Steyer, since he's big on environmentalism and he'll probably want judiciary nominees who'll protect people's right to donate to campaigns regardless of how wealthy they are. Really, I'm pulling for Kashkari v. Swearengin or something.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »

I'm hoping for Newsom.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2015, 11:22:36 PM »

If Kashkari or Maldonado runs, this could actually be close.  But if a mainstream conservative like Carly Fiorina couldn't beat Boxer in a GOP year, and if the Republicans have totally collapsed at the state level, then it may not be possible for them to elect a Senator either.  Sad

Kashkari literally lost by 20% statewide two months ago, and Maldonado is a loser. Neither of those (and no Republican, really) can make this race close.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2015, 11:30:52 PM »

Harris statement.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2015, 11:46:41 PM »

Kashkari literally lost by 20% statewide two months ago, and Maldonado is a loser. Neither of those (and no Republican, really) can make this race close.

If the Republican Party starts looking for a person who can win a D v. R race, they're thinking about this wrong. They need to look for two people, who together satisfy every wing of the California GOP while also breaking it as evenly as possible in half.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:39 PM »

Hoping for Harris or Newsom to run. Im not attracted to many of the other names being floated here and as a Los Angeles resident I dislike Villaraigosa with a passion.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2015, 12:49:09 AM »

Villaraigosa was not even a popular mayor, a lot of ethical issues too I am not sure why people think he will consolidate the Latino vote. I think a lot of Dem voters would be weary of voting for a billionaire like Steyer especially one who's never held an elected office and to voters has done nothing for Cali.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2015, 04:36:33 AM »

So what happens to the AG office if Harris becomes a senator?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2015, 04:41:39 AM »

^ Last precedent for this, IIRC, was when John Garamendi was elected to Congress while serving as LG. From what I gather, Brown would appoint a replacement who would have to be confirmed by the Assembly.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2015, 08:53:28 AM »

Steyer seriously considering.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2015, 09:29:18 AM »

^ Last precedent for this, IIRC, was when John Garamendi was elected to Congress while serving as LG. From what I gather, Brown would appoint a replacement who would have to be confirmed by the Assembly.
She's not resigning, just retiring at the end of her term.  But I guess you're talking about whoever replaces her.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »

If Kashkari or Maldonado runs, this could actually be close.

ayyyyyyyyyyy lmao
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »

Increased likelihood of a cluster****, obviously, but also because Villaraigosa would so obviously be an embarrassment.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2015, 12:29:46 PM »

If there is any person who can lose this senate race for the Democrats, it is Steyer. He will win the bay area but he will collapse in the central valley among hispanics (water and jobs issue) and quite possibly could in southern california as well. Rich, white liberals are not the swing vote in California, it is moderate to conservative minorities. A generic democrat wins that vote easily in this environment but things get interesting if it is an out of touch billionaire vs a moderate like Kashkari or Swearingen. In any case, California is more likely to vote in a Republican governor before a senator barring unusual circumstances.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »

She's not resigning, just retiring at the end of her term.  But I guess you're talking about whoever replaces her.

I think the question was about Harris, not Boxer. Harris' term ends in 2018, ergo, she'd have to resign as AG to be Senator. Boxer would obviously just be retiring.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »

She's not resigning, just retiring at the end of her term.  But I guess you're talking about whoever replaces her.

I think the question was about Harris, not Boxer. Harris' term ends in 2018, ergo, she'd have to resign as AG to be Senator. Boxer would obviously just be retiring.

Yes my question was about Harris (which I thought was pretty obvious).

To be honest, I am not a big fan of politicians who leave the office they were elected to before the end of their term.  That's one reason why I would rather see someone other than Harris or Newsom win the seat.  Actually I wouldn't mind if the LG left his office because his role isn't as important as that of the AG (IMO at least) and I actually really like where Newsom stands on most issues, but he seems a little douchey.  I also understand the importance of having someone who checks all the right boxes like Harris in national politics (a future presidential candidate perhaps?), but it still bothers me that she wouldn't finish her 4 year term.  Anyway, we shall see what happens.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »

It's sort of funny seeing how many people here are naming previous losers, particularly for the Republicans. One of the things that both parties are really good about in California is not recycling losers.

My bet at this point is Gov. Newsom/Sen. Harris. They are both intently focused on climbing the ladder, and they have both managed to make the jump to statewide office.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies