How religious are you? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:47:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How religious are you? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you Religious?
Extremely

Very

Somewhat

Not Really

No

I'm Spiritual not Religious

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: How religious are you?  (Read 2184 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: September 01, 2016, 05:50:27 AM »

What's the difference between 'no' and 'not really' 'extremely' and 'devout'?  Can you define these terms for us?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 07:20:54 AM »

I'm in a weird spot because, while I don't have any sort of faith, I'm growing increasingly fond of some philosophical systems derived from religion. Is there a name for this?

Voted no.

Godfearer, was a term applied pre-Christ to Gentiles who liked Jewish morality and monotheism, and sometimes went to synagogue, but never actually joined the religion. That might be a good term for your views.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »

Godfearer, was a term applied pre-Christ to Gentiles who liked Jewish morality and monotheism, and sometimes went to synagogue, but never actually joined the religion. That might be a good term for your views.

That's very interesting. I had no idea such people existed in significant numbers.

I felt the same way when I discovered it. They died out pretty quickly after the resurrection though, as they made up much of Christianity's first converts.

The term itself kind of reminds of Pascal's wager ante litteram though, doesn't it? Pascal's wager is not one of the Christian ideas I find of much interest.

It sounds like it, but I'm not so sure. What was the state of Jewish views of the afterlife at the time? It wouldn't really apply if they believed mainly in Sheol, since Sheol doesn't really discriminate Tongue That's beyond my knowledge though.

I never really dealt with Pascal's wager tbh. It's impossible under Reformed sotieriology anyway so I never really thought about it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies