War between Iran and Israel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:40:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  War between Iran and Israel (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: War between Iran and Israel  (Read 5518 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »

The last thread got deleted, so let's start a new one.  No doubt the opinions will vary greatly, but I'm certainly going to try and stay civil, and hopefully everyone else will also.

So, let's open the Pandora's Box that is a thread about Israel and Iran!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:19:17 PM »

Prediction again:

Israel instigates attack against Iran.  US stupidly backs Israel, long war ensues.  Gigantic anti-Semetic backlash in the US.  Entire Middle East gangs together, Israel either scaled back drastically or does not exist.

Certainly a possibility, although my prediction (naive 15 year old that I am Wink), goes something like this:

Iran launches attack against Israel, full scale warfare.  US quickly joins Israel, launches massive bombing campaign against Iran, targeting mostly civilians.  Iraq makes a pathetic attempt to help Iran, makes no difference.  Most of the Middle East stays neutral, except for Lebanon on the Iranian side.  After several years of devastating warfare for all sides, the Iranians overthrow the Government, creating a less theocratic democracy, while the US increases aid to Israel, to help it recover, and the Israeli government becomes even more hardline against neighboring countries.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:41:37 PM »

As to the US bombing civilians, I would have them target the infrastructure of Iran; that would invariably lead to large numbers of civilian casualties.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:16:31 PM »

The US destroyed and occupied Iran before - 1954 through the end of the Shah's regime.  The Iranians threw off those shackles to declare independence and fight back against the Empire.  My point is that even if fascist and theocrats like jmfcst have their way, people keep fighting for their lives and dignity, and that history shows us that as brutal, ruthless, and powerful the Empire is, resistance is possible.

Bulls**t.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 11:35:31 AM »

The US destroyed and occupied Iran before - 1954 through the end of the Shah's regime.  The Iranians threw off those shackles to declare independence and fight back against the Empire.  My point is that even if fascist and theocrats like jmfcst have their way, people keep fighting for their lives and dignity, and that history shows us that as brutal, ruthless, and powerful the Empire is, resistance is possible.

Bulls**t.

Okay, I don't agree with opebo's rhetoric, but I have to question what you're calling 'Bulls**t' here. It is true that the USA sponsored a coup in Iran in 1954 to reinstate the Shah and end the rule of Mossadegh (or Mossadiq, however you prefer to spell it) who was tilting more toward the Soviet Union and had expelled British and American oil workers from Iran. I wouldn't go so far as to call 1979 a push for 'independence' from the 'Empire' but it is true that the Shah's power had been reinstated less by the grace of God than by the grace of the USA.

It is mostly his rhetoric, such as saying the US destroyed and occupied Iran.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies