War between Iran and Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:40:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  War between Iran and Israel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: War between Iran and Israel  (Read 5435 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »

The last thread got deleted, so let's start a new one.  No doubt the opinions will vary greatly, but I'm certainly going to try and stay civil, and hopefully everyone else will also.

So, let's open the Pandora's Box that is a thread about Israel and Iran!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »

Prediction again:

Israel instigates attack against Iran.  US stupidly backs Israel, long war ensues.  Gigantic anti-Semetic backlash in the US.  Entire Middle East gangs together, Israel either scaled back drastically or does not exist.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:19:17 PM »

Prediction again:

Israel instigates attack against Iran.  US stupidly backs Israel, long war ensues.  Gigantic anti-Semetic backlash in the US.  Entire Middle East gangs together, Israel either scaled back drastically or does not exist.

Certainly a possibility, although my prediction (naive 15 year old that I am Wink), goes something like this:

Iran launches attack against Israel, full scale warfare.  US quickly joins Israel, launches massive bombing campaign against Iran, targeting mostly civilians.  Iraq makes a pathetic attempt to help Iran, makes no difference.  Most of the Middle East stays neutral, except for Lebanon on the Iranian side.  After several years of devastating warfare for all sides, the Iranians overthrow the Government, creating a less theocratic democracy, while the US increases aid to Israel, to help it recover, and the Israeli government becomes even more hardline against neighboring countries.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:05:34 PM »

Prediction again:

Certainly a possibility, although my prediction (naive 15 year old that I am Wink), goes something like this:

Iran launches attack against Israel, full scale warfare.  US quickly joins Israel, launches massive bombing campaign against Iran, targeting mostly civilians.

And the sick thing is, you'd be all for this 100%.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:04:27 AM »

Prediction again:

Iran launches attack against Israel, full scale warfare.  US quickly joins Israel, launches massive bombing campaign against Iran, targeting mostly civilians.  Iraq makes a pathetic attempt to help Iran, makes no difference.  Most of the Middle East stays neutral, except for Lebanon on the Iranian side.  After several years of devastating warfare for all sides, the Iranians overthrow the Government, creating a less theocratic democracy, while the US increases aid to Israel, to help it recover, and the Israeli government becomes even more hardline against neighboring countries.

what the hell is up with you and trying to kill innocent civilians? You are straight up talking like a terrorist.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:38:15 AM »

Israel nukes Iran. The United States soon follows.

Finis.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:11 AM »

Prediction again:

ummmmmm no

First of all Iran would never attack Israel but no faults there because it was obvious you were going to say that. Also US would not attack civilans unless on massive amounts of crack-cocaine. I trust our military, would go after strictly military targets. Also Lebanon does nothing, although it could get into a civil war. I would also expect war to last for only a month or two, with possibly insurganices in Iran and Lebanon going on for quite sometime(against democratic governments). Also biggest flaw, WTF is with you thinking Iraq would side with Iran!!!
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:04:07 AM »

Iraq makes a pathetic attempt to help Iran, makes no difference. 

why the hell would a presumably democratic iraqi government help a nation who has been financing insurgent groups in their nation for five years? especially, because, you know, these two nations have had a history of friendship and alliances.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 01:22:44 AM »

Iraq makes a pathetic attempt to help Iran, makes no difference. 

why the hell would a presumably democratic iraqi government help a nation who has been financing insurgent groups in their nation for five years? especially, because, you know, these two nations have had a history of friendship and alliances.

Please note who are you talking to.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:34:07 AM »

Actually there is a slight chance that Iraq would support Iran in such a war. Remember Iraq is majority shia but was ruled by a sunni dictator(saddam) for the last few decades. The tables have definitely turned now.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 05:04:05 AM »

Well

First I don't think that here there is a fear to speak about Iran, several threads have been opened on it last time and well fed, just watch the pages before.

Then, my thought on Iran's attitude, Ahmadinejad, Khamenei, etc. I think the tactic of Iran is to never open the war, and I think they will never do it. I think they wanna victimize themselves, I think they want to be attacked to then open the fire, I think they don't want to be the aggressor. And I think this is important in what they think concerning the legitimation of their attitude, I also think their religious believes is important in how they drive their attitude.

In this sense, what do they do? They provoke, again and again, Israel and the US, and until now it seems to work, one of the both could attack Iran, and Iran will be happy.

I also think that the Iranian administration gives different roles to their leaders always in the sense to play with its "adversaries". Ahmadinejad makes the bad guy, who provokes, hoping for an attack against the country and so Khamenei will just have to say we're attacked, we must retaliate.

Wanna avoid a war with Iran?

Let them talk and test their missile, don't come in their provocation game, otherwise, it could be possible that very heavy consequences would have to be assumed...

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 07:28:42 AM »

I once again guarantee that the US helping Israel in this war would result in a huge anti-Semetic backlash, so much so that even people that look Jewish like Jon Corzine lose re-election
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 08:08:42 AM »

Wow.  The ignorance here amazes me sometimes.

Iran will not start the war, Israel will, if it comes to it. (under the pretext that Iran is close to having the ability to deliver nukes to Tel Aviv.  The facts of that will be no doubt be the crux of the discussion here in the West.)

Actually, there won't be a war, at least not in the traditional sense.  The countries are way to far away and neither have the ability to put large amounts of boots on the ground in the other country.  Iran's only chance at harming Israel is via rockets, which will most likely be shot down before they get to the targets and more terrorism.  Israel has several more ways to harm Iran, but they all involve a lot of assistance from the US (except possibly for small special ops insertions, but even then, they couldn't pull it off without the US/NATO knowing about it/approving the action.).  They can fly to Iran and back with US assistance and arm bending of the govts in Amman and Baghdad (or trickery).  They have subs that could get there, but again they'd need the assistance of an Arab govt, this time in Cairo for use of the Suez (or they've already got subs on the Indian Ocean side of Africa).

The most likely scenario is a precision strike by Israeli F15's, via trickery to get over Jordan and Iraq, with refueling help of the US on multiple targets in Iran.  Possibly a handful of sorties over a few days.  Iran moves troops around, un docks their Navy and bitches a lot to their neighbors, but no obvious instant retaliation.  The Atlas Forum goes ape sh**t.  Euro govts give Israel crap, threatening sanctions.  Nothing ever comes of any of it.  It all fades into memory in time.

-We won't bomb civilians on purpose, that's ridiculous.
-There won't be a HUGE Jew backlash in this country.  There will be some from the far left and far right, as there always is, but everybody loves John Stewart and well, everybody else in Hollywood.
-Iraq won't support Iran (although they probably won't support Israel either).
-Full Scale war will not come of this.  Who would fight and where?  The only possible way this takes place involves Iran attacking first, but the only "full scale war" that would take place would be the US and company kicking the Revolutionary Guard back into full scale dust.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

I once again guarantee that the US helping Israel in this war would result in a huge anti-Semetic backlash, so much so that even people that look Jewish like Jon Corzine lose re-election
Yup. My guess is we'd see a de facto expulsion of the jews from everywhere besides Israel.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »

Subtle.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »

Israel is trying to disable Iran's nuclear capabilities in a pre-emptive strike. However, they only manage to hit about half of Iran's installations. Iran retaliates by firing some nuclear missiles at Israel. The Israelis respond by using their own nuclear weapons on Iran.

As a result, the oil price is at least tripled and a global economic depression ensues. In the economic and political chaos that follows, Russia turns ulta-nationalist and decides to invade Eastern Europe. NATO fights backs. Russia launches its missiles against the United States.

OMG, it's the end of the world!!!!!!!!!!!! You better buy duct tape!
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 10:57:51 AM »

Israel is trying to disable Iran's nuclear capabilities in a pre-emptive strike. However, they only manage to hit about half of Iran's installations. Iran retaliates by firing some nuclear missiles at Israel. The Israelis respond by using their own nuclear weapons on Iran.

As a result, the oil price is at least tripled and a global economic depression ensues. In the economic and political chaos that follows, Russia turns ulta-nationalist and decides to invade Eastern Europe. NATO fights backs. Russia launches its missiles against the United States.

OMG, it's the end of the world!!!!!!!!!!!! You better buy duct tape!

Once again, I think Iran will never attack and never have nuclear weapons, they just provoke.

Once again, I think the only attack could come from Israel/US.

I think that if the slightest Israeli/US rocket falls on the Iranian ground, we will see a huge Iranian retaliation by missiles with everything they can touch. More of that, Mahdi army could put the mess in Irak, Hezbollah could do a 2006 war again, Hamas, I don't know, they seem to be interested in machines of construction these last times... Syria, I don't know too. But to me, Iran for sure will make fireworks on everything they can touch in the Middle East if they are touched by only a rocket.

Then, after it, what's about world economy? I also think, like the preceding comment, that a big crash could happen, just wonder to the price of oil if Iran make fireworks all over middle east and that's enough to justify this thought.

Still like the preceding comment an aggression of Iran by Israel/USWest could make grow tensions that already exist around the world between West and its "adversaries", of course I speak about Russia and China. If you add on this a huge economic depression, there would be no problem for such countries to come in the war, it would be a logic of war economy, what you can no more have because the normal economy no more works, you take it by force. And if more of that you don't really like those who opened the war and that you would like to put them down, there are still less problems. Still concerning the preceding comment, maybe it would lead Russia to ultra-nationalist, but I don't think it is necessary for it to come in war against West. I use to say West because of course Europe will be with US, they just can't choose.

To finish, what did you say, end of the world?

Hmm, I'm not sure, I think it could create a very different world, but not "the end", which is anyway something I don't want.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »

Iran nuke Israel, most likely some city in Southern Israel. Israel and the US attack Iran.  Then Russia or China trys to nuke the US. We go into WWIII, with US, Israel, UK,(Most of EU), Canada, Mexico vs Iran, (Most of the middle-east), Russia and China. Most of the fighting takes out side of North America.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »

LMAO at fools mistaking 2008 for 1914.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »

Afghanistan and Iraq are merely launching platforms for attacks against Iran. Why do you think the US wants bases in Iraq? Certainly not for the scenery, weather or to protect the tourist industry.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 02:41:37 PM »

As to the US bombing civilians, I would have them target the infrastructure of Iran; that would invariably lead to large numbers of civilian casualties.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:35 PM »

John McCain just made a joke about using cigarettes as a way to kill Iranians.

Ughh, the man thinks he's a regular comedian.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 12:34:57 AM »

Afghanistan and Iraq are merely launching platforms for attacks against Iran. Why do you think the US wants bases in Iraq? Certainly not for the scenery, weather or to protect the tourist industry.

That's the truest thing you've ever said.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 07:31:23 AM »

It's not all about oil like the lefts been saying for years?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 01:30:36 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2008, 01:53:16 PM by jmfcst »

well, one can only hope, because using Iraq as a launching pad was always my goal for invading Iraq:

I supported this current invasion into Iraq because I thought it was a stepping stone into Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Iran.  I never would have supported it knowing Iraq was the first and last stop on the tour.

and

If I were Pres, I would have played hit and run all through the middle east...in the followinig order:

1) Iraq
2) Iran
3) Syria

I wouldn't have tried to establish Democracy, I simply would have destroyed all their armies.

---

I vote "No", not in the way Bush did it, and not with Bush's intentions of trying to establish Democracy in Iraq.  I simply would have knocked their jocks in the dirt and let them pick up the pieces.

...and I supported the invasion of Iraq in 2002, months before it happened, because I believed the stories I was reading about Bush's intentions:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies