Overall do Republicans or Democrats listen to a wider variety of music?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:27:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Overall do Republicans or Democrats listen to a wider variety of music?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Overall do Republicans or Democrats listen to a wider variety of music?
Republicans

Democrats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Overall do Republicans or Democrats listen to a wider variety of music?  (Read 459 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2024, 01:01:50 PM »

I think Republicans, because "genre purists" who refuse to listen to almost anything else tend to be liberal-leaning.

Like look at classical music enthusiasts, or even rap. And obviously emo/hardcore, but I'll admit that yes that's a pretty small group in comparison to the others.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 01:27:53 PM »

Between liberals tending to be more "open to experience" and the broader racial diversity I think it's Democrats.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 01:51:40 PM »

Yeah IMO Democrats definitely listen to a wider variety of music. I don't even know how you could argue otherwise.

I think Republicans, because "genre purists" who refuse to listen to almost anything else tend to be liberal-leaning.

I think you're maybe jumping to conclusions based on your own experiences.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 05:37:04 PM »

Democrats by far.

When I think of stereotypical genres Republicans listen to, all I can think of is country or classic rock.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 08:29:41 PM »

Democrats by far.

When I think of stereotypical genres Republicans listen to, all I can think of is country or classic rock.

Polka? Hard rock fams leans right, I would wager, especially the post-grunge genre.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 10:33:30 AM »

Men tend to have more diverse musical tastes than women (not always of course) so my guess would be republicans.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 11:10:31 PM »

Yeah IMO Democrats definitely listen to a wider variety of music. I don't even know how you could argue otherwise.

You don't think "classical music snobs" aren't overwhelmingly Democrats? If nothing else they're heavily clustered in urban areas (that's where the symphony halls are), in addition to being highly educated.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 06:46:27 AM »

Like look at classical music enthusiasts, or even rap. And obviously emo/hardcore, but I'll admit that yes that's a pretty small group in comparison to the others.

Even conceding that, I would say that a classical music purist, a rap purist and an emo/hardcore purist put together overall have more musical diversity than (say) three people who listen to many subgenres of pop and rock but don't touch classical or rap.

Anyway I think Democrats win this just on broader ethnic diversity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2024, 11:07:21 AM »

Even conceding that, I would say that a classical music purist, a rap purist and an emo/hardcore purist put together overall have more musical diversity than (say) three people who listen to many subgenres of pop and rock but don't touch classical or rap.

I'm talking about the individual people. Like if you have two groups of three people, and the first group have all been to 15 states, but it's the same 15 states for all three, and the second group have only been to 10 states apiece, but they're different states, then the second group has obviously been to more states overall, but the first the average person in it (aka all of them in this scenario) has been to more states than the average in the second group.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 11:14:40 AM »

I'm talking about the individual people. Like if you have two groups of three people, and the first group have all been to 15 states, but it's the same 15 states for all three, and the second group have only been to 10 states apiece, but they're different states, then the second group has obviously been to more states overall, but the first the average person in it (aka all of them in this scenario) has been to more states than the average in the second group.

If you're talking about individual people your argument has some merit but I still lean towards thinking the median Democrat listens to a significantly wider variety of music than the median Republican.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 12:01:48 PM »

The median Republican and the median Democrat probably have extremely similar tastes in music.  Y'know, the real normie stuff like AT40.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 02:05:06 PM »

The median Republican and the median Democrat probably have extremely similar tastes in music.  Y'know, the real normie stuff like AT40.

Top 40 pop fans would skew Democrat based on younger people listening to the music.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 02:09:00 PM »

You don't think "classical music snobs" aren't overwhelmingly Democrats? If nothing else they're heavily clustered in urban areas (that's where the symphony halls are), in addition to being highly educated.

Classical fans have gotten heavily Democrat since the arrival of Trump on the political scene. The correspondence of affluence, age, and whiteness would have made it actually a lean R demographic, in the grand ole times.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies