Statement by Senator OSR about the Secession Crises(Officially Endorsing Secession)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:03:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Statement by Senator OSR about the Secession Crises(Officially Endorsing Secession)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Statement by Senator OSR about the Secession Crises(Officially Endorsing Secession)  (Read 1416 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2023, 09:49:10 PM »

OSR:

The actions of the Atlasian government in response to this last night was proof that Atlasia is dead and given that they refuse to acknowledge it , I will officially be endorsing the secessionist movement and will be working with them to make secession an official reality . I want to thank YT for helping me quickly find a new residence in Plano , Texas and I look forward to living in my new home .

Thank You , May God Bless you and May God Bless the South

You were once a good citizen that was on a Presidential Ticket I was proud to support. But it is clear you have gone your own way. I will extend the same pledge to you as I recently did to those who were on board with the SNP before YT's secession proclamation: I hereby renounce and regret all support I have given you, any vote or high pref I ever cast for you, or bill of yours I ever voted for, endorsed, or otherwise helped become law. Never again will I do such actions. Should you appear on a ballot before me again, I will simply write "No" next to your name.

Why should anyone care who you vote for though?

People are free to care or not care, but my proclamation is pretty broad. For instance, Lincoln has occasionally used bills written by Mr. R. I will endeavor to see we never do so again.

Mr R is by far the best legislator this game has had in years if not ever
Is there any evidence that Mr. R being an important bill-writer is something, in a broad sense of its consequences, linked to the current crisis? I stand against secession, but I don't stand for throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2023, 09:51:06 PM »

OSR:

The actions of the Atlasian government in response to this last night was proof that Atlasia is dead and given that they refuse to acknowledge it , I will officially be endorsing the secessionist movement and will be working with them to make secession an official reality . I want to thank YT for helping me quickly find a new residence in Plano , Texas and I look forward to living in my new home .

You were once a good citizen that was on a Presidential Ticket I was proud to support. But it is clear you have gone your own way. I will extend the same pledge to you as I recently did to those who were on board with the SNP before YT's secession proclamation: I hereby renounce and regret all support I have given you, any vote or high pref I ever cast for you, or bill of yours I ever voted for, endorsed, or otherwise helped become law. Never again will I do such actions. Should you appear on a ballot before me again, I will simply write "No" next to your name.

People are free to care or not care, but my proclamation is pretty broad. For instance, Lincoln has occasionally used bills written by Mr. R. I will endeavor to see we never do so again.

Is there any evidence that Mr. R being an important bill-writer is something, in a broad sense of its consequences, linked to the current crisis? I stand against secession, but I don't stand for throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

While there is not necessarily a direct link, the years-long trend of entrusting R with power and influence certainly put him in a position where he was able to conduct his secessionist actions. Further, I personally believe a drastic stance is necessary to help generate a complete victory for Atlasia in this crisis and ensure there is not a repeat event.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2023, 09:55:51 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2023, 10:00:57 PM by Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

OSR:

While there is not necessarily a direct link, the years-long trend of entrusting R with power and influence certainly put him in a position where he was able to conduct his secessionist actions. Further, I personally believe a drastic stance is necessary to help generate a complete victory for Atlasia in this crisis and ensure there is not a repeat event.

I'm not a huge fan of this sort of explicit rules-laying, though I'm not going to quibble endlessly with you over the merits of them. I would just say that I personally would say, each Mr. R bill should be looked at on its own merits, plainly. Legislators can decide whether or not they support them or not depending on the text and circumstances.
Excessive Hyperbole
Sunmerican Dream
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2023, 09:57:46 PM »

OSR:

A true national southern hero
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2023, 10:03:24 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2023, 10:09:58 PM by NE Senator Christian Man »

I normally admire people sticking by their principles but I don't think your actions will lead to the desired outcome that you are looking for. To secede  while diplomatic talks are in process is a setback when it comes to establishing diplomatic and economic ties.
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2023, 10:57:04 PM »

I was wrong about you. You aren't Chamberlain. You're Lindbergh.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »

Well I suppose someone had to state the blazingly obvious about just how motivated this reasoning is…

Two weeks ago I was fully on the side of the Atlasian government but over the past two weeks multiple events caused me to completely change my mind:

- First it was the outrageous decision to charge everyone in the Southern Government including people like Reactionary, TPH, RFayette and that was such an obvious abuse of power that if we had a functioning system, a judge would throw out all those charges immediately . Reactionary keep in mind was not a Secessionist, he was working behind the scenes to save the union and I know this cause I was in that chat

And Laki is supposed to know this how? He wasn't in that chat.

With how the prosecution has been handled I don't think your grievance against him is entirely without basis. But, and reagente and Mr. R have definitely noticed if you hadn't, Tack and everyone else was very publicly scrambling to catch up with him. You seem to be ascribing this to "the Atlasian government" when events do not bear that reading out.

If this was your "first" event then I am calling cap on this. As of this point in your post, Laki was doing what S019 functionally did last April. Did the many people he attempted to charge care? Did we call it an outrageous decision? No, we pointed and laughed.

- Second it was the decision to leak the facebook messenger posts and while yes it was good the post was taken down, the prosecutor should have been removed from the case over this

And again your beef is with Laki, not "the Atlasian government."

These two actions made it clear that the Atlasian Government was fundamentally broken and  that the Regional Rights Amendment was needed. This also turned more from a full supporter of the Atlasian Gov to someone who no longer trusted them but even then I still though saving the union was very important so I did these things

So you have presented two arguments why you no longer trust Laki. Not anyone else, certainly not the Supreme Court that you won a case in two weeks ago or the Senate that they certified your election to.

- I negotiated a deal with YT where he agrees not to secede over the secession ban in exchange for the RRA passing. Keep in mind the RRA was something we had done for months so calling it something that YT was taking the country hostage was completely false. Despite this the Atlasian Government decided to put their personal egos decided to completely blow the deal up even knowing it could save the union.

You are not the first to have tried to make deals in this whole imbroglio and all of the previous ones have fallen through. I do happen to think the RRA could have been passed, same as Westy in fact! But perhaps something had happened in the intervening month (month singular, BTW) to cause a loss of trust? Some line crossed that the South hadn't crossed earlier that suddenly caused the Senate to blow up? We "blew things up" in 2021 too when Crane tried to have Lincoln (legally!) secede. Sirius even revived that old thread. That might be the red line here.

This made it clear to me the current system was completely broken and made me realize a reset was needed. I still thought I could push it from the inside and this crises would wake people mind up to it but instead the past two days these things happened

You realized a reset was needed because you, still a Federalist at this point, didn't get your way on a bill? We've been in the House and Senate for the entire Labor domination period post-Tmth.

- Scott completely abused his powers by sending troops to blockade Nashville. This was a clear violation of the law  and the Senate completely brushed it off showing they dont care about the law

It's no longer canon. Thank me later.

- The final straw was the Senate deciding it did not care about senate rules one but and decided to flagrantly violate them to rush through a repeal of that law .

Funny that you bring this up about a bill that Laki didn't violate Senate procedure on. It was in the emergency slot, it could be brought to the floor immediately, the only vote currently open on that is a vote on your objection. All compliant with the OSPR.

It was clear at this point the Atlasian Government did not care about the rule of law, the legislative process and the system could not be saved at this point. It was only after all this I decided to back secession because frankly the current system deserves to be obliterated and secession is the best tool to accomplish that and my hope is we eventually have a 3 nation system where each region is its own nation as thats the only way to save this game.

Verdict: no merit for the claim about "rule of law," no verdict for "legislative process." In fact everything potentially with merit comes down to your disagreements with decisions made by Laki, and not even most of them. Where's your broken system? Has anything been broken aside from this one sequence of legislative maneuvering you suddenly decided was the most important thing in the game? If your primary motivation here is friendship ties like you mentioned on Lokcord yesterday, it is perfectly fine to say so without ex post facto posts like this. Mr. R and Sunrise are good folks to talk to. The Downfall crew last year weren't honest about wanting to spite LT above everyone else and insisted on loftier claims about "saving the game" like you're doing here.

Here's the thing, OSR. I succeeded you in the House. You succeeded me in the Senate. We ran on the ticket together in October '21 because of that desire to avoid a one-party game. And we lost, and we picked ourselves up and continued to write bills and apply pressure, and we got a lasting bill out of it that Scott would probably prefer remain unreferenced. Your principles here, applied ex post facto as they are, are not a problem but this kind of application is where we must part ways because the system you are proposing will create more one-party states than we ran hoping to stop.

And under no circumstances will I support accelerationism, griefing, or indiscriminately deciding to loggerhead with the rest of the game in any way, shape, or form. Not in my home country, or my home island, or my current country, or here, and the Atlasian system is easily the best functioning out of the four of them.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2023, 03:46:13 PM »

Some line crossed that the South hadn't crossed earlier that suddenly caused the Senate to blow up? We "blew things up" in 2021 too when Crane tried to have Lincoln (legally!) secede. Sirius even revived that old thread. That might be the red line here.

We seceded legally and followed guidelines that were enabled by the constitution.

Crane’s method was also perfectly legal, if emblematic of the kind of insanity that caused him to self-immolate within six months.

Not a great precedent, I would say.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2023, 07:33:15 PM »

did they actually secede? that is unfortunate !

I am dismayed by all the recent conflcit in the south, and so have decided to sell my fortified compound in Monteagle and relocate west

Can't we all get along, there is surely a solution here that does not involve so much disunion and conflict !
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2023, 10:34:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »