Are you offended by the usage of "gay" as a synonym for "stupid"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 10:46:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Are you offended by the usage of "gay" as a synonym for "stupid"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Are you offended by the usage of "gay" as a synonym for "stupid"?  (Read 6933 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« on: February 25, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »

It's pretty much a dickish thing to do, but it doesn't offend me. Actual homophobia offends me, but 90% of the time the people using it in that context aren't homophobic, just immature. And hey, I have done it many times myself in the past, and alcohol seems to encourage that behavior, at least in my case.

In vino veritas?

Such thing doesn't happen in France, then no. Maybe more in beero veritas, or something like that...
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

In France quand t'es un pédé ou un enculé, can also mean you're a guy that did a tricky/betraying thing.

Quand t'es une tantouze, une tapette, ou une tarlouze, can mean you're a freaking coward person which is barely worth a girl.

And that's all, no connection between homosexuality and idiocy here.

Enjoy the most popular French synonyms for 'fag'.

Enculé is the less offensive and became very commonly used, can even be something you tell friendly. Even became something you can tell to express your admiration/surprise/astonishment/stuffs like that, especially around Marseille: En-cu-lééééé.

Pédé is already less nice, but still became quite common, slightly more aggressive than enculé, and less commonly friendly told.

Tapette, tarlouze, and tantouze, well, depends on the tone and the context, can be quite insulting to friendly.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »

Benoit: It would be "in cervisia veritas", then. Like in cervoise (see Asterix) or cervesa, for people liking vacations in Mexico/Cuba/Dominican Republic.

Indeed, but well, let's be inventive, and if I had cervoise in the mind, I hadn't the Latin one anymore.

I would like to add than enculé isn't only Marseillais. I know a guy from Ariège which use it all the time.

It is indeed Francewide, but in Marseille and around it became like a daily normal word, then mostly used in the Southern half of France (lol seems the word sticks to places where the southern accents are the most marked, Ariège is one), and then to a lesser extent the rest of France.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »

Enculé is less offensive than f****t? I'd have thought that considering it's a quite,..., uhm, plastic description, it might be about equally (non-)offensive?

One more time it can depend on the tone and the context (as always), as I said in the 1st post about that it can be offensively used, but as MaxQue said, it also really became a widespread word used mostly in unoffensive context (the evolution of the use of that word is interesting though).
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »

I think Antonio was trying to say that gay people don't use "straight" the way straight people use "gay"--as a synonym for stupid. I personally have never heard a gay person say "Ugh I hate work...it's so straight!" or "it's so hetero!"

(because we all know gay people have more class than straight people, fact.)

I meant that I find the use of a word like "straight" to qualify heterosexuals to be pretty disparaging toward homosexuals, by suggesting that heterosexuality is the straight practice and that others are deviant.

I think you are being "more catholic than the Pope" here. No gay person seems to be annoyed by that use of straight, yet, you seem outraged by it.

Maybe that's because I'm not a native English speaker... Anyways, if "droit" were used that way in French I'd be pretty outraged by such a word, I think.

How surprising, given that it's opposite, gauche, has always been used as a synonym for general awkwardness. 

That's right, but the sense of droit can vary according to the context, and here it's indeed used like 'straight', not like 'right', as in right/left hands, the contrary would be tordu (twisted) here.

I understand Antonio's meaning, and as a French speaker it always sounded odd to me too, and made me wonder about some eventual underlying things, but well, I wouldn't know enough about the culture that produced it to bring a judgment. In France you mainly have hétéro, hétérosexuel, and, homo-homosexuels, the world 'gay' is more and more taking over here too though, which I find annoying.

That wouldn't be an isolated case, and not reserved to the English language, on the same line than Antonio's reasoning, one can also wonder why the direction of the 'not left hand' has been called droit, which also mean right, Right, or straight, would mean left-handed people are twisted?! Discrimination (or well, jealousy) toward us!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies