Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:32:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN  (Read 23198 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

Besides the fact that I don't remember Reid calling Angle "nuts" or "insane", having extreme ideas doesn't necessarily means that you can't be personable or even charming.

Crazy juice, anyone?

http://www.alan.com/2010/10/06/harry-reids-new-ad-painting-sharron-angle-as-a-nutball-crazy-juice/

That's an ad. I meant Reid himself saying anything of the kind.

And to be honest, Angle's Republicans opponents didn't exactly shower her with praise during primary season.

It's Reid's ad.  It does not matter if Reid tries to paint Angle as "nuts" "crazy", etc. directly by saying it himself, through his ads or indirectly through his Democratic surrogates.  All have the effect of painting his opponent as something that, once she opens her mouth in something like a debate, cannot live up to the negative hype.

And Republican ads paint Reid as a corrupt baby killer that wants to steal your money.
Did he live up to that hype?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2010, 05:57:28 PM »

And Republican ads paint Reid as a corrupt baby killer that wants to steal your money.
Did he live up to that hype?

Please provide a link to that ad.

Reid is a sitting Senator and known quantity who has been representing Nevada for years.  Angle is not.  The general election brings a different set of voters, only some of whom had been paying attention to the primaries.

This debate will backfire on Reid - partially due to his own inept performance, but mainly due to Democrats' insistent demonization of Republican conservatives as crazy, extreme, unhinged, etc., thereby setting low expectations that anyone could surpass.   Nevada has gone from a true toss-up to leaning Republican.

Why do you think Senator DeMint is ducking a debate with Alvin Greene?  There's simply no way he could win it even if he blows Greene away on the technical merits.  Expectations for Greene would be far, far too low.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »

Question: Do you guys think I should start a separate thread for gubernatorial and other non-congressional races on the other board or is this a good thread for everything? (I expect this thread will be overrun by comments on the Cuomo-Paladino debate when that happens.)

Also, did anyone watch the NY Senate Special debate? I didn't get a chance.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2010, 08:23:16 PM by cinyc »

Question: Do you guys think I should start a separate thread for gubernatorial and other non-congressional races on the other board or is this a good thread for everything? (I expect this thread will be overrun by comments on the Cuomo-Paladino debate when that happens.)

Also, did anyone watch the NY Senate Special debate? I didn't get a chance.

I don't think the Cuomo-Paladino-Spitzer's Mistress-Black Power Guy-Random Nobodies debate is going to be on C-SPAN.  It's a local cable TV exclusive.  They might make it available on the Internet.  Hopefully, the non-Cablevison networks carrying it make it available to non-Cablevision subscribers.   Cablevision holds their local news networks and Newsday hostage behind a pay wall for the rest of us.  They may or may not here, too.  If Cablevision were smart, they'd treat it as an ad for their news personalities, who are moderating the debate.  But Cablevision is rarely smart.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2010, 02:37:13 AM »

The big one for tonight will be Jack Conway (D-KY) taking on the often controversial Rand Paul (R-KY). This race represents one of the only at least semi-legitimate shots at a Senate pickup for the Democrats. The debate is at 7 PM eastern time.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »

The big one for tonight will be Jack Conway (D-KY) taking on the often controversial Rand Paul (R-KY). This race represents one of the only at least semi-legitimate shots at a Senate pickup for the Democrats. The debate is at 7 PM eastern time.

Paul doesn't seem like a strong debater, how good is Conway?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »

BTW, Buck and Bennet had a debate on Meet the Press today. Both did okay, but not great. I thought Bennet did slightly better, however (the first debate of theirs that I thought he won).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »

BTW, Buck and Bennet had a debate on Meet the Press today. Both did okay, but not great. I thought Bennet did slightly better, however (the first debate of theirs that I thought he won).

I read that Buck said that homosexuality is a choice.
Obviously the guy is a RINO.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »

Conway's an alright debater, but he's timid. Don't expect him to really confront Paul.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »

Paul doesn't seem like a strong debater, how good is Conway?

Conway is decent, but comes across as a smooth-talker whose sincerity is questionable while Paul's speaking style is more down to earth and human. At the same time, Conway's more wonkish on policy, while Paul tries to stay away from specific policy proposals (not that Paul can't be wonkish on policy, but if Paul actually stated his libertarianism he'd get curbstomped in the election). I'd say Conway will probably win on content, while Paul wins on style.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »

Conway's an alright debater, but he's timid. Don't expect him to really confront Paul.
lol
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »

I suspect Reid is done. Angle I don't think is perceived as a nutter anymore, among enough swing voters who dislike the stimulus and Obamacare, etc., to save Reid from his fate.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »

I didn't watch the debate, but the nasty tone is making headlines. http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101017/NEWS0106/310170061/Rand+Paul++Jack+Conway+toss+angry+barbs+at+Louisville+debate
I don't see how Conway can pull off this race. I guess he's got nothing to lose, but the whole "Aqua Buddha" thing seems really stupid.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2010, 11:40:58 PM »

I didn't watch the debate, but the nasty tone is making headlines. http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101017/NEWS0106/310170061/Rand+Paul++Jack+Conway+toss+angry+barbs+at+Louisville+debate
I don't see how Conway can pull off this race. I guess he's got nothing to lose, but the whole "Aqua Buddha" thing seems really stupid.

Wow, sorry I had to miss that.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2010, 10:54:39 AM »

Manchin and Raese are having their only debate at 8 PM. It'll be broadcast on C-SPAN. I'd imagine that one could get pretty ugly.

Also, the Cuomo v. Paladino v. a bunch of other crazy people awesomeness is tonight! Unfortunately, it looks like it'll only be on local news stations in NY.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2010, 01:07:09 PM »

Manchin and Raese are having their only debate at 8 PM. It'll be broadcast on C-SPAN. I'd imagine that one could get pretty ugly.
Damn, I'm going to miss this one. Sad This was a debate I was really looking forward to as well, so if somebody could post a recap here after it happens that would be awesome.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »

Also, the Cuomo v. Paladino v. a bunch of other crazy people awesomeness is tonight! Unfortunately, it looks like it'll only be on local news stations in NY.

The Cuomo v. Paladino v. Spitzer's Madam v. the former Black Panther v. the Rent is Too Damn High Guy starts at 7.  It should be live streamed on NY1.com, news12.com and Newsday.com among others - in theory.  None of these sites has a link up yet, and since Cablevision holds its sites hostage behind a pay wall, maybe not.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »

The Cuomo v. Paladino v. Spitzer's Madam v. the former Black Panther v. the Rent is Too Damn High Guy starts at 7.  It should be live streamed on NY1.com, news12.com and Newsday.com among others - in theory.  None of these sites has a link up yet, and since Cablevision holds its sites hostage behind a pay wall, maybe not.

Newsday is behind a pay wall, but News 12 is not

http://www.news12.com/index.jsp
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2010, 03:13:24 PM »

The Cuomo v. Paladino v. Spitzer's Madam v. the former Black Panther v. the Rent is Too Damn High Guy starts at 7.  It should be live streamed on NY1.com, news12.com and Newsday.com among others - in theory.  None of these sites has a link up yet, and since Cablevision holds its sites hostage behind a pay wall, maybe not.

News 12 is behind a pay wall for those who do not use Cablevision or certain other cable companies as their ISP.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »

The Cuomo v. Paladino v. Spitzer's Madam v. the former Black Panther v. the Rent is Too Damn High Guy starts at 7.  It should be live streamed on NY1.com, news12.com and Newsday.com among others - in theory.  None of these sites has a link up yet, and since Cablevision holds its sites hostage behind a pay wall, maybe not.

News 12 is behind a pay wall for those who do not use Cablevision or certain other cable companies as their ISP.

It was at one time,  don't think it is anymore.   I have Verizon Fios.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2010, 04:15:21 PM by cinyc »

It was at one time,  don't think it is anymore.   I have Verizon Fios.

It still is for me - but I've never been a Cablevision subscriber.  You might have some old cookies on your computer or something if you had Cablevision or one of the other eligible cable services.  It theoretically is available for certain cable subscribers no matter what network their computers are on. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »

It still is for me - but I've never been a Cablevision subscriber.  You might have some old cookies on your computer or something if you had Cablevision or one of the other eligible cable services.  It theoretically is available for cable subscribers no matter what network their computers are on.

Nope.  Last time I had Cablevision was a few years ago when I was still living with my parents ( I think 07, but could have been 06).   At that time they switched to Verizon Fios, and when I moved into my Apartment last year I got Fios right away.  I got my laptop a few months later.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »

It still is for me - but I've never been a Cablevision subscriber.  You might have some old cookies on your computer or something if you had Cablevision or one of the other eligible cable services.  It theoretically is available for cable subscribers no matter what network their computers are on.

Nope.  Last time I had Cablevision was a few years ago when I was still living with my parents ( I think 07, but could have been 06).   At that time they switched to Verizon Fios, and when I moved into my Apartment last year I got Fios right away.  I got my laptop a few months later.

All I can tell you is that I cannot access the news12.com website from my computer or cell phone.  I get a message saying that you must be a Cablevision, Time Warner, Comcast or Service Electric subscriber.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »

All I can tell you is that I cannot access the news12.com website from my computer or cell phone.  I get a message saying that you must be a Cablevision, Time Warner, Comcast or Service Electric subscriber.

The only thing I could possibly think of is cookies on my computer from when I visited my parents (they now live outside of Charlotte and have Time Warner), but that doesn't correspond to the out of area thing they list as well.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »

In any event, we should be able to get at least audio from the ny1.com website, which live-streams the audio of its programming.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies