Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:09:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)  (Read 152670 times)
catographer
Megameow
United States
« on: February 07, 2020, 10:23:48 PM »

What do the Iowa results tell us about neighboring states? Will Pete win the rural areas while Sanders wins urban areas?

It's very difficult to tell based on caucus results alone. In 2016, Clinton won rural Iowa whereas Sanders won urban parts; in the rest of the Midwest and neighboring states, it was largely the opposite.

A good example of this is Nebraska. They held both a caucus and a primary in 2016. In the caucus, Sanders won cities like Lincoln and Omaha, while Clinton ran pretty even with him in rural counties. In the primary, the opposite was true; Clinton won Omaha and Lincoln whereas Sanders cleaned up in most of rural Nebraska.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:44:27 PM »

If Sanders’ team really hated SDEs, they should’ve advocated to eliminate them after 2016. Which, to be fair, I would support; why do SDEs exist anyway??? Just use the vote totals like every other contest!
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:59:46 PM »

If Sanders’ team really hated SDEs, they should’ve advocated to eliminate them after 2016. Which, to be fair, I would support; why do SDEs exist anyway??? Just use the vote totals like every other contest!

SDEs exist because of the structure of the Iowa caucuses. Precinct caucuses elect delegates to county conventions, which elect delegates to district and state conventions. State Delegate Equivalents are the equivalent of delegates to the state convention. From what I understand, it's how the Democrats have always computed the Iowa winner - at least since 1976. But we've never seen the first and final alignment votes until this cycle. Ironically, greater transparency is causing this issue.

I guess what I don’t understand is, why is the Iowa Democratic caucus so unique? The other Democratic and Republican caucuses, not even the GOP Iowa caucus, operates like this; they all just use vote totals.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »

God bless Iowa Democrats lmao.

Heck, I would be doing a better job at running this than them...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies