A New America Series - 1980 General Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:01:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  A New America Series - 1980 General Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV)/Senator John P. Hammerschmidt (R-AR)

Governor Jerry Brown (D-CA)/Senator John Glenn (D-OH)

Former Congressman Larry McDonald (C-GA)/Senator James Buckley (C-NY)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: A New America Series - 1980 General Election  (Read 1171 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 18, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »

McDonald's gonna win because of idiotic left-winger's, it's not like we've had the right (mostly) dominate this series.

Yeah, I agree. This is incredibly stupid, and half of McDonald's vote should be discounted due to American politics not working that way with third parties. The Republicans have not shown any sign of collapsing, and there's no reason why the Constitution Party should be tying with the Democrats.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 01:47:12 PM »

McDonald's gonna win because of idiotic left-winger's, it's not like we've had the right (mostly) dominate this series.

Yeah, I agree. This is incredibly stupid, and half of McDonald's vote should be discounted due to American politics not working that way with third parties. The Republicans have not shown any sign of collapsing, and there's no reason why the Constitution Party should be tying with the Democrats.

Yeah, how dare people not vote the way Zioneer and Intell want them to Angry

I'm not saying people should vote my way, I'm just saying that the ironic voting is really dumb and would not have been present in a realistic election.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »

Yeah, how dare people not vote the way Zioneer and Intell want them to Angry

I'm not saying people should vote my way, I'm just saying that the ironic voting is really dumb and would not have been present in a realistic election.

Maybe it could be explained in-universe as protest voting? That seems at least somewhat more plausible.

Protest voting exceeding the actual Republican's share of the vote and equaling the Democrat's share (at this point)? Especially while the Republican is quite conservative themselves?

I could definitely see the protest vote winning several states (mostly in the South), but its margin of the vote seems a little unrealistic, and it seems like it's only due to the posters themselves ironically voting for McDonald.

Though if it came down to it, I wouldn't be too opposed to a House election that's akin to George Wallace's plan in 1968, where the Republican and Democrats "win" the electoral vote, but Wallace (or in this case, McDonald) is able to throw it to the House and have some sort of advantage there.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:01:45 AM »

At this moment Jerry Brown has a decent lead so I don't want to hear anymore complaints.

I also have an idea of how to explain Laxalt's shockingly poor performance in the general election.

Fair enough, I have no more complaints. Looking forward to the next election in the series!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies