Should OSR be muted from the "User complaints megathread"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:34:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should OSR be muted from the "User complaints megathread"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Should OSR be muted from the "User complaints megathread"?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Should OSR be muted from the "User complaints megathread"?  (Read 1490 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2024, 11:27:21 PM »

Check it out if you're wondering why.

Actually a good case could be made the people actually bickering with him and adding to the derailing should be too. But for him...it seems like a no brainer at this point.
Excessive Hyperbole
Sunmerican Dream
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 11:28:55 PM »

I Stand WITH OSR!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 11:32:00 PM »

No
No more than people pushing their groupthink should be banned from it either.
If large numbers of people will talk about select people and cast them in a certain light then said view is open to being challenged.
This is a silly idea and it only has any credibility if you buy into conventional red avatar thinking and refuse to accept it being seriously challenged.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 11:32:42 PM »

Whether he should or shouldn't, it's undeniable that the guy is spiraling out of control right now. Dude feels like he's riding the escalator to a ban.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 11:33:12 PM »

No its Atlas moderation policy needs to change. Stop viewing everything through an insane liberal arts bubble because not everything that a liberal arts department would consider bigoted is bigoted.

Allow actual debates on Israel/Palestine, on immigration and if posters dont like them then they can put them on ignore.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 11:41:35 PM »

The past week really has just been a disaster on moderation issues in general. I get that things are heated in real life, but when people start gang-reporting with the aims of banning certain users, it has gone too far. I had thought gang-reporting was considered abusing the report function, but it seems not.

As for the topic at hand, obviously not. Complaining about moderation is the exact purpose of that thread and debates over what topic is allowed are frankly more insightful than debating over banning the same five or six people every single time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 11:46:16 PM »

Stop viewing everything through an insane liberal arts bubble because not everything that a liberal arts department would consider bigoted is bigoted.

What does this even mean? I have a math degree and I say the mods are doing a good job. Does my opinion therefore carry extra weight to you? (I mean, I'll take it, but it probably shouldn't for that reason.)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 11:49:05 PM »

I don't want to comment on any particular user (in fact, I actually disagree with a couple of the bans), but this recent wave of bans has been a long time coming. Free speech has nothing to do with it. This isn't the public square, this isn't a state-sponsored social media website, it's an obscure forum. No one is entitled to come here and ruin every single thread they post in. This isn't even about politics so much as it is about basic forum etiquette. People that fail to behave themselves, either deliberately or because they have some kind of social disorder, need to be banned. It's gotten so bad over the past year or so that the mods have now basically been forced to decide between putting their foot down or essentially letting the entire forum be destroyed. I've seen this happen to small communities online over the years, and when mods decide that their website is a "free speech" platform (whatever that even means) then all the crazies stay and the people that want to have real conversations leave. This is not uncommon.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 11:52:17 PM »

Stop viewing everything through an insane liberal arts bubble because not everything that a liberal arts department would consider bigoted is bigoted.

What does this even mean? I have a math degree and I say the mods are doing a good job. Does my opinion therefore carry extra weight to you? (I mean, I'll take it, but it probably shouldn't for that reason.)

This is the conservative line right now. "Everybody that disagrees with me has an English degree!" It's getting to the point where pretty much anything a conservative says is incoherent to anyone outside of their bubble.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 11:54:30 PM »

This is the conservative line right now. "Everybody that disagrees with me has an English degree!" It's getting to the point where pretty much anything a conservative says is incoherent to anyone outside of their bubble.

Which is funny because, kindly, Computer89 is not known as one of the more literate members of this site. Perhaps he should pursue a liberal arts degree of his own.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 11:58:24 PM »

Which is funny because, kindly, Computer89 is not known as one of the more literate members of this site. Perhaps he should pursue a liberal arts degree of his own.

Almost everybody whining about liberal arts degrees would probably flunk out. I know grade inflation has gotten a lot worse, but it used to be that the students who couldn't read or write would get their asses handed to them in the supposedly easy humanities classes. Saw it a hundred times in my day.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2024, 12:06:38 AM »

This is a ridiculous thread derail but it reminds me of a thought I had, that Bushie's college degree (not in liberal arts but in "Ecommerce", a comparably "useless" field because things like web design can be self taught) was probably part of why he kept landing jobs, because some employers will hire basically anyone with a degree regardless of what it's in. Because a person who can complete a 4-year degree in anything is probably at least reliable enough to show up to work half the time and not be drunk and/or high, which is actually a big ask for some jobs.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2024, 12:07:52 AM »

OSR is more historically informed and knowledgeable on many facets on especially mid 20th century US politics especially than most people are.
He doesn't need some liberal arts degree on that front and he also doesn't have to bow to credentialism either.
Let's not fetishize college degrees.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2024, 12:25:09 AM »

You have your own talents as does he. If you were in his position I'd be defending you likewise.
Looking down on people for lacking college degrees though is hardly justified in many cases nor is it productive at anything good. Now, you could use it for connections... But let's not get high on our own supply, okay?

Isn't OSR the one who's looking down on people for their degree?

My math degree doesn't make me better than someone who got a degree in English or sociology. OSR's degree in accounting (?) doesn't either.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2024, 12:34:22 AM »

You have your own talents as does he. If you were in his position I'd be defending you likewise.
Looking down on people for lacking college degrees though is hardly justified in many cases nor is it productive at anything good. Now, you could use it for connections... But let's not get high on our own supply, okay?

Similar perhaps but not strictly the same.
Concern over perceived ideological radicalism on campuses, justified or not, is its own subset of issue distinct from "maybe someone would have better grammar in my eyes/would be less ignorant if they went to college".

Yes I was particularly talking about the type of people on campus who think everything is racist and bigoted including stuff that most people say in normal conversations.

I did not mean literally everyone who was in liberal arts believes this or everyone who believes this has a degree in liberal arts, but rather that type of mindset in general which is more common in liberal arts departments than other departments. 
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 12:39:06 AM »

No. As far as I know he didn't do anything wrong.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 12:39:26 AM »

I did not mean literally everyone who was in liberal arts believes this or everyone who believes this has a degree in liberal arts, but rather that type of mindset in general which is more common in liberal arts departments than other departments. 

You're not making this any better by backpedaling a bit.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 12:39:59 AM »

Similar perhaps but not strictly the same.
Concern over perceived ideological radicalism on campuses, justified or not, is its own subset of issue distinct from "maybe someone would have better grammar in my eyes/would be less ignorant if they went to college".

Yes I was particularly talking about the type of people on campus who think everything is racist and bigoted including stuff that most people say in normal conversations.

It varies from person to person and neither faculty nor students are going to be a monolith. Overly broad definitions of racism and bigotry absolutely are a problem and one that should get some scrutiny as our elite is basically being educated at Ivys anyway. Though ofc something being a problem doesn't mean you necessarily need to act swiftly...but anyway, I digress. It's a legitimate issue of debate.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2024, 05:48:48 AM »

You could’ve ended the thread title after 4 words
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2024, 05:57:33 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2024, 03:54:02 PM by YE »

OSR repeating this ‘liberal arts’ line is a typical example of one of his worst habits, which is that once he comes up with some point, he repeats it ad nauseam at every opportunity he gets. This is what gives his posting its spammy quality.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 06:04:59 AM »

Fuzzy was derailing that megathread for years without a mute I fail to see how OSR can.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 06:12:36 AM »

Yes he complains too much
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2024, 10:51:53 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2024, 03:54:35 PM by YE »

OSR repeating this ‘liberal arts’ line is a typical example of one of his worst habits, which is that once he comes up with some point, he repeats it ad nauseam at every opportunity he gets. This is what gives his posting its spammy quality.
He's far from the only offender in this regards, (IceSpear was probably the worst in forum history actually), but he is no doubt the worst current one.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2024, 11:01:09 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2024, 04:00:03 PM by YE »

OSR repeating this ‘liberal arts’ line is a typical example of one of his worst habits, which is that once he comes up with some point, he repeats it ad nauseam at every opportunity he gets. This is what gives his posting its spammy quality (and of course is a classic sign of not being very bright).
He's far from the only offender in this regards, (IceSpear was probably the worst in forum history actually), but he is no doubt the worst current one.

The difference is IceSpear was capable of original thought but also relished easy fun at the expense of other users' forum experience. OSR mindlessly parrots whatever he sees reads on right-wing discussion boards. He used to be merely a bad poster, but he's now trying so hard to get validation from online Republicans.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2024, 11:13:11 AM »

He needs to shut up with his ranting, but it doesn't warrant a mute (yet).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies