Permit for the Keystone XL pipeline to be canceled on Biden's first day (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:38:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Permit for the Keystone XL pipeline to be canceled on Biden's first day (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Permit for the Keystone XL pipeline to be canceled on Biden's first day  (Read 5369 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: January 18, 2021, 04:45:00 AM »

As a method of transporting oil and gas, pipelines are the most ecologically sound.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:09:39 AM »

Oh nothing, just the Keystone XL pipeline spilling nearly 400,000 gallons of tar sands oil into a North Dakota wetland in November 2019.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 12:37:04 PM »

Oh wow, do you really think this makes your case? You got any actual data to back it up or just a couple more cherry picked photos?

While the right is out of touch with reality on most issues, this is one where the left is completely out of touch with reality.

What a strangely angry response to a simple piece of evidence that this specific oil pipeline that we are discussing has already inflicted serious damage to a local ecosystem.

I'll admit that I initially provided zero context for the photo, but it comes as no surprise that this is the first time many of you are seeing it.  It was big news at the time to anybody who gave a sh**t.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 05:12:28 AM »

You posted this picture in response to a factual statement by True Federalist. If you disagree with his assertion that pipelines are the most ecologically sound way to move oil, prove it. This picture is certainly not proof. Train crashes happen. Truck accidents definitely happen. Pipelines are the best way to move oil and gas. If oil and gas is extracted from the earth, we need pipelines to move it.

I don't care what the "most ecologically sound" method of moving oil is, frankly.  As UncleSam aptly put it earlier in this thread, oil pipelines being the safest method of transport is the same as saying that hypodermic needles are the safest way to take heroin.

But moreover, imagine casually defending the relative safety of pipelines in a thread dedicated to discussing a specific pipeline that has already spilled hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil into the ecosystem.

Of course, the real goal is to stop oil and gas production

Agreed.

and going after pipelines is just an assbackwards way of going about it. Invent technologies that make oil and gas obsolete if that is your true goal. Of course that is much harder to do than standing in front of a pipeline construction site and screaming your lungs out.

You can do both, you know.  I've invested what little I can into green-energy research, and also donated some supplies to the Standing Rock community during the midst of the assault on their reservation in late 2016.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies