Would you support a Generous Dole? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:50:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you support a Generous Dole? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support a Generous Dole and Why?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Would you support a Generous Dole?  (Read 5280 times)
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: February 14, 2010, 05:43:29 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Gosh, that sounds like something I would pound out from my keyboard, almost word for word.

Am I having a "bad" influence on you JS?  Is it possible I am moving you a tad bit from being a Marxist terrorist symp to just an extreme liberal?  Tongue

PS: jk as to the final sentence FYI to  those considerably more mentally challenged than JS. Tongue
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2010, 09:34:57 PM by Torie »

For the disabled and elderly, sure. If you're young and healthy, get a job. For the same reason, I support abolishing all inheritances.

How do you "abolish inheritances"?

Institute a 100% estate tax.

Well, I guess than you have to decamp to Bermuda or somewhere to die, with your assets, and renouncing your citizenship. That would be the effect of that law, for those with substantial assets that they want to pass them on. Life insurance policies would be designed to insure against the risk of dying suddenly without time to decamp. Sure they would be very expensive, but well - necessary.

And that is exactly what I would do, particularly since I have a loved one, that may need assets doled out from a trust fund for life due to special circumstances. I will not allow any government to thwart that if I possibly can. Trust me.

Come to think of it, this would be a huge boon for the insurance industry, because with the right planning, insurance proceeds are not subject to the estate tax. And charities would love it too, unless the charitable deduction were repealed as well. In the end, the government would not get much revenue with such a plan; indeed it would get far less.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 05:09:34 PM »

No (sane)

Instead, I propose we reinforce the values that first carved this great country out of a wilderness.  Among them...

* Self-reliance
* Hard work
* Personal restraint and discipline
* A sense of responsibility

You know the old saying, Opebo.  Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.  (Or, he starves...and he deserves to starve, if he is too lazy and self-absorbed to work.)

I believe in self-reliance and individualism too, but you can't be truly individual if you can't get a job.

KTC would probably say that failing to get a job is your fault or my fault.  If we were just willing to work for a dollar an hour, we would eventually climb the ladder of success.

LOL -- I dunno if he'd really go that far, but I have heard people like Hannity and Limbaugh say exactly that in their arguments against the minimum wage.

Michele Bachmann has suggested that new employees should actually pay the employer to begin with because they're new and they could break things and such.

They used to call such things apprenticeships. Now they call them internships.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies