Opinion of Old School Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:23:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Old School Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Old School Republican?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: Opinion of Old School Republican?  (Read 3012 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »

Very much like a bot who memorized the answers to a long list of political questions many years ago and has not been updated since. Friendly enough, but not a good poster.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2020, 02:42:29 PM »

Massive FF, one of the best posters here
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2020, 05:32:53 PM »

FF. I don't understand the dislike or irritation that some on here have with him. We need more posters like him.

The irritation comes from his habit of saying something that is incorrect and/or incoherent, and when challenged on, he simply ignores and continues parroting the falsehood. Fuzzy Bear did this as well and it was very grating.

I agree that he is rather inoffensive, for the most part. Still, I tend to expect more than white noise from a fellow poster.

This is honestly osrs worst trait. Kind of where he latches onto one particular fact or he knows and can't progress Beyond it in a discussion. The classic example is is utter insistence that Republicans don't have any more racial biases towards immigrants than Democrats because assistant minority leader Durbin is reportedly holding up some Bill that would offer more immigration opportunities and hb1 visas for educated Tech workers from places like India. I honestly don't know much about the bill, but even at face value it seems relatively minor. But osr has just beat that bill like a drum incessantly - - and never moving beyond it - - anytime one suggests that the Republican Party overwhelmingly opposes non-european immigration, legal or otherwise.

All that said, one has to respect him for being a stringent never Trumper. Sure, there are tons of us on this forum who would love to see Trump carted off to gitmo (fingers crossed). However, to oppose Trump as a Republican, even when OSR admits he has more in common policy-wise with Trump then with Biden, that's a profound demonstration of personal integrity.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2020, 06:30:53 PM »

FF
Articulate and passionate guy.

Please explain this (frankly baffling) assessment.
Why do I get the sense this a mean spirited question?  
Anyways to answer your question, I'm relatively new to atlas/talk elections I haven't encountered OSR much.
I did read few of his posts on the US election results and congressional boards, it was some good stuff. Recently had a light encounter with him lately on echo chambers thread, we had polar opposite views.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 09:04:19 PM »

FF

Anyways to answer your question, I'm relatively new to atlas/talk elections I haven't encountered OSR much.
I did read few of his posts on the US election results and congressional boards, it was some good stuff. Recently had a light encounter with him lately on echo chambers thread, we had polar opposite views.

There was a lot of bad takes in that thread. Coincidentally, it was OSR that directed me to it and hence why I ended up addressing most of the concerning aspects.

Very much like a bot who memorized the answers to a long list of political questions many years ago and has not been updated since. Friendly enough, but not a good poster.

That is not entirely true, I feel like I have gained tremendous ground on the late 19th century history front, though more work is necessary on Cleveland. Tongue

He also has a far better understanding of Reagan the man, versus Reagan the myth then most Conservatives and especially most Never Trumper conservatives.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 09:25:23 PM »

FF

There was a lot of bad takes in that thread. Coincidentally, it was OSR that directed me to it and hence why I ended up addressing most of the concerning aspects.

That is not entirely true, I feel like I have gained tremendous ground on the late 19th century history front, though more work is necessary on Cleveland. Tongue

He also has a far better understanding of Reagan the man, versus Reagan the myth then most Conservatives and especially most Never Trumper conservatives.

That last line is highly debatable. He is one of the biggest Reagan worshippers, mythology and all, on this entire forum.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2020, 02:52:09 PM »

FF

That last line is highly debatable. He is one of the biggest Reagan worshippers, mythology and all, on this entire forum.

Historians rank Reagan 8-11 all time, I rank him around 7th or 8th so not much of a difference at all.

Anyway what he means by that is most conservatives consider Reagan this perfect conservative who never had to compromise which is a ridiculous proposition because he compromised on a lot of legislation in such a way that he would be called a Massive RINO today
UkrainianRepublican
Mr.Marat
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2020, 03:36:12 PM »

HUGE FF. Literally the best poster here.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »

FF

(Not just because he is a fellow Oregonian).

1.) I very rarely vote HP in these types of polls because of disagreements between partisan ideology, political positions, nor support for various political candidates who I disagree with on a variety of substantive issues (Historically or current).

I will vote HP for posters who exhibit explicit patterns of racist, homophobic, misogynistic, anti-semitic, or what appears to be support for Far Right political platforms such as effectively appearing to support or justify Fascist or White Supremacist Ideology.

Occasionally, I might vote HP for posters who have an excessive habit of being majorly confrontational on a consistent basis, while recognizing that we are all individuals and have our "good days" and "bad days" and sometimes it's really easy on an internet Forum to sometimes "go on tilt" and needlessly engage and escalate when tempers get heated....

2.) OSR as a poster has consistently improved the quality and content of his posts throughout his Atlas career...

It seems like only Yesterday, he was consistently being mocked by a wide variety of Atlas Avatars (Red, Blue, Orange, etc...) for "being a robot", and posting simple one line comments or answers, and is now (I believe) generally considered a solid poster overall on a wide variety of topics, despite the fact that many, including myself might well disagree with some of the political perspectives or positions on various topics.

3.) OSR (Just like many Atlas Posters) has evolved over time, and the fact that not only has he been able to gain an extremely high approval rating among DEM avatars, as well as being an influential figure among many newer PUB avatars, alone and of in itself speaks volumes about a poster moving closer to their PRIME, after the first few years in the Wilderness...

Old Skool Pub---- Apologies for speaking about you in the 3rd person--- nothing I wouldn't say to you directly.

Still hoping sometime when I make it up from Downstate OR to WashCo, to have some tea/coffee/beer maybe even a bite to eat once all this COVID s**t fades away.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »

FF

You get that sense because you have excellent discernment!

OSR, of course, is a Massive FF.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »

He’s far from offensive as many of the standard blue avatars are, but he’s robotic and often has unclear logic for some of his positions outside of “thats the way it was when Reagan was President so it’s automatically good” without having updated his worldview since. I don’t know how old the guy is, but I’ve always assumed he’s fairly young given the lack of nuance to his views outside of maybe just repurposing his parents’ or friends’ beliefs. But I could be wrong about that. Anyways, not really a fan.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »

FF
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2020, 01:16:15 PM »

He’s far from offensive as many of the standard blue avatars are, but he’s robotic and often has unclear logic for some of his positions outside of “thats the way it was when Reagan was President so it’s automatically good” without having updated his worldview since. I don’t know how old the guy is, but I’ve always assumed he’s fairly young given the lack of nuance to his views outside of maybe just repurposing his parents’ or friends’ beliefs. But I could be wrong about that. Anyways, not really a fan.

FTR, he's Early College age. And this is a very accurate critique.

Still a fine young man despite it, though. I just think he would truly excel in life if he can break past his above-described limitations.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2020, 07:24:05 PM »

I hardly agree with him on anything, but he's intelligent and cordial. Lean FF.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »

Checking out the previous pages I rediscovered that this was the thread where I was explained the first time what FF and HP mean... good times.

However I never actually answered the question. I think OSR is a massive Republican hack with a neoliberal flavour but personally very well-mannered.
Saruku

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2020, 07:55:21 PM »

These results would be very different if he voiced support for the Orange Satan.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2020, 08:30:13 PM »

Seems like a person with a moral compass even if I disagree with them on key issues
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2020, 10:21:57 AM »

I'm not going to pretend his posting style doesn't annoy me, because he tends towards reciting slogans - I remember there was a stage where he would just mindlessly parrot "law and order politics" in every post, and it was just dire.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »

A nice enough poster, so FF.  However, his version of Republican politics is probably the one I disagree with the most. 
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2020, 12:43:26 PM »

FF guy, massive HP politically
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2020, 12:59:11 PM »

A nice enough guy and someone I could probably be real life friends with if his forum persona matches his actual one, but it's easy to see how he rubs people the wrong way with his hackishness. NOT hackishness for the Republican party line necessarily, but he tends to make up his mind immediately about whatever issue, and then is absolutely inflexible to considering any other perspectives or points of view, no matter what additional information comes in.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2020, 02:27:53 PM »

A nice enough guy and someone I could probably be real life friends with if his forum persona matches his actual one, but it's easy to see how he rubs people the wrong way with his hackishness. NOT hackishness for the Republican party line necessarily, but he tends to make up his mind immediately about whatever issue, and then is absolutely inflexible to considering any other perspectives or points of view, no matter what additional information comes in.

That's called being dumb.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2020, 03:06:33 PM »

As others have said, he doesn't seem like a bad person, but his posting style can be irritating, and it can feel pointless to try and engage with him on some political issues. I'll also say that the idea some posters have that he's "moderate" is pretty laughable (not that there's anything inherently wrong with not being moderate. I'm not exactly a raging centrist by American standards.)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »

A nice enough poster, so FF.  However, his version of Republican politics is probably the one I disagree with the most. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies