Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:30:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006  (Read 14138 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: April 18, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »

Aye

I'm still unsure about the whole bill though. If Q's amendment is accepted, however, I will most certainly vote against this piece of legislation. I will not stand for Atlasia annexing whatever territories we feel like without the citizens of the respective territories having a vote on the issue.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:54:49 PM »

If Q's amendment is accepted, however, I will most certainly vote against this piece of legislation. I will not stand for Atlasia annexing whatever territories we feel like without the citizens of the respective territories having a vote on the issue.

My amendment would actually serve to put the decision in the hands of more people: 10 Senators as opposed to 1 GM.

The referenda are fictional, anyway.

Everything created by the GM is fictional yet we depend on certain pieces of information from him, correct? The idea of ten Atlasian Senators having the only authority over whether or not these areas should become part of our country does not sit well with me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 03:10:26 PM »

If it would make the difference between your voting for and voting against this bill, Senator, I would withdraw my proposal for an amendment.

By the way, welcome to the Senate!

I don't want this to seem childish but, yes, I would vote against this bill unless your amendment fails. Withdrawing it would clearly help. Let me make clear, though, that I am not sure whether or not I will support the bill even without your amendment. I am stuck on this one.

Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to a great time here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 07:16:13 PM »

VII: Palmyra Atoll and Midway Island shall become part of the state of Hawaii

This amendment makes it so even if Pacifica doesn't vote for statehood these territories will become part of Hawaii.

Again, we are basically forcing statehood either way with these territories.

Nay on the amendment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 07:20:52 PM »

VII: Palmyra Atoll and Midway Island shall become part of the state of Hawaii

This amendment makes it so even if Pacifica doesn't vote for statehood these territories will become part of Hawaii.

Again, we are basically forcing statehood either way with these territories.

Nay on the amendment.

The vote hasn't started yet, and the islands have no permanent inhabitants.

Well when the vote starts it will still get a Nay from me unless you can clear things up. I'm not noticing much of a point in making these islands part of a state. What would we get out of this?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 07:23:58 PM »

We wouldn't have any territories left in the Pacific if this passed, they'd all be part of states. Besides they don't really have any population so they can't vote.

I understand that they can't vote but I don't understand is why we would want these islands as part of a state. What change does this bring? I see no reason to change their territory status.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 05:29:15 PM »

Nay
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 10:31:39 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass.  Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.

It saddens me that I did not arrive here on time for such an important vote. I was very much up in the air on this bill but I would have voted against it, for the record.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies