Huckabee Sanders: "God wanted Trump to become President"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 04:54:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Huckabee Sanders: "God wanted Trump to become President"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Huckabee Sanders: "God wanted Trump to become President"  (Read 1788 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 10:23:37 PM »

This makes sense, if you assume that she's like the majority of Trump supporters in thinking that Trump is God.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 10:25:40 PM »

I can't help but wonder what rock Sarah Sanders sits under.

She's only 36 years old, so maybe that's part of her problem. Too young. She looks much older than that, and notice she never seems to smile. She probably hates her job.

She is a disillusioned dupe.

Oh wow, look, a leftist leveling sexist criticisms against a Republican woman.

When will it end folks?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »

It's not sexist to say that Sanders looks very angry most of the time, because she does. There are Republican men that don't look pleasant or look older than they really are (like Stephen Miller).
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:12 PM »

It's not sexist to say that Sanders looks very angry most of the time, because she does. There are Republican men that don't look pleasant or look older than they really are (like Stephen Miller).

No.  It's very sexist to call the White House Press Secretary ugly when that kind of criticism would never be levied against a man serving in the same position. 

Why are women in powerful positions only able to be judged based on their appearance?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 11:39:02 PM »

No.  It's very sexist to call the White House Press Secretary ugly when that kind of criticism would never be levied against a man serving in the same position. 

Why are women in powerful positions only able to be judged based on their appearance?

She wasn't called ugly, and anyone who dislikes the Press Secretary (myself included) has a hell of a lot of things to judge her for other than appearance. You're just engaging in the same type of annoying "sexist" smearing and identity politics found in the Democratic Party and it's embarrassing
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:14 PM »

This makes sense, if you assume that she's like the majority of Trump supporters in thinking that Trump is God.

I doubt she actually believes this stuff. Like most in the upper echelons of Evangelicalism, she knows just enough about Christianity to cynically exploit it - and that’s exactly what she’s doing.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2019, 12:13:59 AM by Del Tachi »

She wasn't called ugly, and anyone who dislikes the Press Secretary (myself included) has a hell of a lot of things to judge her for other than appearance. You're just engaging in the same type of annoying "sexist" smearing and identity politics found in the Democratic Party and it's embarrassing

If there are credible ways to criticize her that don't include her appearance, then please do so.  To say she "looks old" and "never smiles" is sexist.  Are any male members of Trump's administration attacked in the same way?  Stephen Miller, for instance, certainly isn't. 

Professional women have worked long and hard to be judged based on something other than appearances.  Let's avoid the obvious low-hanging fruit and judge them the same way we judge professional men.

This is a legitimate issue, and it's important to call-out the double standards liberal pundits and media employ when discussing SHS (or Kellyanne Conway, Betsy DeVos, and other conservative women).  Remember when LA Times columnist David Horsey said she looked like a "chunky soccer mom"?  Or Chelsea Handler calling her a "harlot"?  Or Brian Karem asked if she had ever been a personal victim of sexual assault?  When has similar criticism ever been unfairly applied towards men?   
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 12:52:09 AM »

If there are credible ways to criticize her that don't include her appearance, then please do so.  To say she "looks old" and "never smiles" is sexist.  Are any male members of Trump's administration attacked in the same way?  Stephen Miller, for instance, certainly isn't. 

Professional women have worked long and hard to be judged based on something other than appearances.  Let's avoid the obvious low-hanging fruit and judge them the same way we judge professional men.

This is a legitimate issue, and it's important to call-out the double standards liberal pundits and media employ when discussing SHS (or Kellyanne Conway, Betsy DeVos, and other conservative women).  Remember when LA Times columnist David Horsey said she looked like a "chunky soccer mom"?  Or Chelsea Handler calling her a "harlot"?  Or Brian Karem asked if she had ever been a personal victim of sexual assault?  When has similar criticism ever been unfairly applied towards men?   

When you only do it in order to put up a smokescreen for a toxic waste dump of a Presidency, your criticism lacks legitimacy. (As, in fact, the entire Republican party does these days, on almost any issue.)
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 01:14:39 AM »

No.  It's very sexist to call the White House Press Secretary ugly when that kind of criticism would never be levied against a man serving in the same position.  

If there are credible ways to criticize her that don't include her appearance, then please do so.  To say she "looks old" and "never smiles" is sexist.  Are any male members of Trump's administration attacked in the same way?  Stephen Miller, for instance, certainly isn't.  

Professional women have worked long and hard to be judged based on something other than appearances.  Let's avoid the obvious low-hanging fruit and judge them the same way we judge professional men.

This is a legitimate issue, and it's important to call-out the double standards liberal pundits and media employ when discussing SHS (or Kellyanne Conway, Betsy DeVos, and other conservative women).  Remember when LA Times columnist David Horsey said she looked like a "chunky soccer mom"?  Or Chelsea Handler calling her a "harlot"?  Or Brian Karem asked if she had ever been a personal victim of sexual assault?  When has similar criticism ever been unfairly applied towards men?    

Sarah Sanders has frequently and brazenly lied on numerous occasions (often contradicting the President himself), repeated debunked claims, and overall is the spokeswoman for a corrupt presidential administration so pardon me if I don't have too many positive things to say about her. If anyone wants to attack male members of Trump's administration (or anyone) based on appearance, they can go ahead and do so, and they often do. Trump himself, for example, is frequently mocked for his ridiculous hairstyle. Not that it matters anyway, because critiquing appearance is ultimately nothing more than an ad hominem attack meant to distract from actual substantive policy discussion. This is true regardless if it is a man or a woman.

In the standards of fairness though, I'll just say that I don't have any more of a problem with liberal women (or men) being criticised over appearance than I do with conservative women (or men).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 01:32:54 AM »

Yet many Republicans were totally OK with a guy talking about grabbing women by the pussy.
Just "calling out the double standards."
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:51 AM »

I mean if she meant that God wanted to show how much of a joke a Trump presidency would be then I would agree.

If thats god's idea of a laugh he's got a dark sense of humour
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 08:08:06 AM »

Hilary's ethics left her open to Kremlin meddling via Wikileaks. But, come 2021, Trump will be out of office.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:44 AM »

It's true of course.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 10:09:22 AM »

Vladmir Putin is God?? I don't think so!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 12:05:38 PM »

When you only do it in order to put up a smokescreen for a toxic waste dump of a Presidency, your criticism lacks legitimacy. (As, in fact, the entire Republican party does these days, on almost any issue.)

When have I put up a smokescreen?  I've been perfectly willing to criticize the administration and the people who work for it.  There's plenty of legitimate criticism of SHS to be made, but when your first criticism is to talk about her appearance (like Hermit did, thus beginning this whole snafu) then it's a sexist criticism.

Yet many Republicans were totally OK with a guy talking about grabbing women by the pussy.

When have I ever defended Trump's comments?

And, yes, I would argue it's important to call out the double standard when the left crusades as champions of female equality and empowerment.  If liberal media and pundits didn't constantly bemoan conservatives as "sexist pigs", I could be way more forgiving in this instance.

Sarah Sanders has frequently and brazenly lied on numerous occasions (often contradicting the President himself), repeated debunked claims, and overall is the spokeswoman for a corrupt presidential administration so pardon me if I don't have too many positive things to say about her. If anyone wants to attack male members of Trump's administration (or anyone) based on appearance, they can go ahead and do so, and they often do. Trump himself, for example, is frequently mocked for his ridiculous hairstyle. Not that it matters anyway, because critiquing appearance is ultimately nothing more than an ad hominem attack meant to distract from actual substantive policy discussion. This is true regardless if it is a man or a woman.

In the standards of fairness though, I'll just say that I don't have any more of a problem with liberal women (or men) being criticised over appearance than I do with conservative women (or men).

Your post is mostly correct, and I'm responding specifically to reactions like Hermit's that immediately dig-into SHS' appearance rather than her performance.  I think there's a lot of credible criticism to be made of how she's performed in the position and how the White House has interacted with media in a broader sense.  I will disagree that Trump's appearance is utilized as an attack against him in the same way it is against SHS; discussions of Trump's are never an immediate response, and never in a way to imply that he's unhappy or unappealing (more like he's just a buffoon). 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 05:41:41 PM »

I always find people who make this claim interesting. Does that also mean that God wanted Obama to be President?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't know if God anointed Trump to be President, or Obama, for that matter.  But he has certainly allowed both of these men to serve as President.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We are to honor Trump as we were to honor Obama and Bush and Clinton, etc.

God is not a respecter of persons.  He didn't go down a checklist of issue positions and said, "Gee, Candidate X lines up best with the Christian Coalition Voter Guide!".  Each party is ungodly in its own ways.
Jags
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 07:52:47 PM »

Facts dont care about your feelings...LMAO
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 07:55:15 PM »

What all this talk of appearance shaming and whatnot comes down to is that Huckabee Sanders is a hideous person on the inside. That's what matters.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »

I'm not OK with Trump doing this, but it was done in secret, as a private citizen, brought to light by an opportunist who still had the tape. 

Lots of people aren't OK with Hillary Clinton conducting a "Nuts and Sluts" campaign to discredit Bill Clinton's accusers, but voted for her anyway.

Elections in America are, pretty much, a binary choice.  Voters ultimately choose a candidate.  That a voter chooses a candidate does not mean that they endorse everything that candidate has done.  One can vote third party if one truly believes that either of the two likely outcomes will be equally bad, if in different ways, but few people really believe that; this is one reason why third parties do poorly in a winner-take-all electoral system.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2019, 05:08:40 PM »

I'm not OK with Trump doing this, but it was done in secret, as a private citizen, brought to light by an opportunist who still had the tape. 

Lots of people aren't OK with Hillary Clinton conducting a "Nuts and Sluts" campaign to discredit Bill Clinton's accusers, but voted for her anyway.

Elections in America are, pretty much, a binary choice.  Voters ultimately choose a candidate.  That a voter chooses a candidate does not mean that they endorse everything that candidate has done.  One can vote third party if one truly believes that either of the two likely outcomes will be equally bad, if in different ways, but few people really believe that; this is one reason why third parties do poorly in a winner-take-all electoral system.
Conducting a "nuns and sluts" campaign to discredit accusers was FAR FAR more socially acceptable in the 90's comparatively than saying you just start kissing women and grab them by the p___y in 2005. One was bad in the 90s and one was asolutely horrible in 2005.

You know this though, like everybody else does. Sexual assault shouldn't be taken so lightly.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies