Is Virginia Gone to Republicans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:56:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Virginia Gone to Republicans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Virginia Gone to Republicans?
Yes, it will continue to trend D
It will probably go back and forth and be a purple state for a while with no clear party advantage
It will stay D for a while, then go R again
This is just a fluke, it will get R again and stay that way
I don't know
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is Virginia Gone to Republicans?  (Read 5464 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 24, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »

For the last two elections, Virginia has been the state that most closely matches the outcome of the national vote.

So I'm guessing it's a purple state under most circumstances. Of course if you think the popular vote will always favor Democrats, then it would be a de facto light blue state.

Kaine would probably do a few points better. That turns Virginia into a state as blue as Nevada or Wisconsin.

Warner would probably do a few points better than that. That turns Virginia as blue as Michigan or New Mexico.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:50 AM »

Continued growth of D.C. has turned VA from light red to reddish purple. It fits in the same category as Florida and Ohio. Look at the last 2 elections and it's shown the exact same percentages as the popular vote. If that's not solid purple, then I don't know what is. D.C. has had a higher turnout in the last 2 elections too though, likely due to Obama being the Democratic candidate. I look for VA to be slightly to the right of the popular vote next time, but not by much. Wishful liberal thinking is what would lead someone to misconstrue statistics or believe it's a Democratic state now.

There's some merit in this argument, but Virginia has most certainly been heading left for quite a while now.

In 1988 it was an R+13 State, and it steadily trended Democratic to 2004, when it was R+9. At that point, it made a huge jump to +0, where it has stayed for the past 2 elections.

It might rubber band back a bit to, say, R+2 or something in the next few elections, but there is no particular reason to think that it will entirely reverse it's trend, especially when you consider that the Washington suburbs are continuing to grow at a rapid rate.

I expect in another 20 years of so it will become a semi-safe Democratic seat.
That's possible.

However, there is likely to be a point of diminishing returns for Democrats. And it's possible that point was just reached.

I compared Virginia's presidential vote to the nations.

In 2000, it was 8.54 % more conservative than the rest of the nation. In 2004, that number was down to 5.8%. In 2008, that number was down to 0.9%. 2012 had the smallest shift, as the number was down to 0.03%.

Virginia also has a higher percentage of African American voters, so it's likely that Obama overperformed relative to other potential Democratic candidates. And without him on the ballot, we may no longer have a situation in which African Americans have higher than average turnout. Which is likely to hurt Democrats a bit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies