Ohio redistricting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:25:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 91516 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« on: December 24, 2020, 04:43:53 PM »

Given the fact that a vulnerable west Cleveland seat seems unavoidable, I see no reason to not just keep the Toledo to West Cleveland sink and that means Akron can't support a competitive seat anymore either, and thus Ryan would be DoA. Keeping a competitive seat in NE Ohio gives Ryan a chance to return, keeping the Toledo sink for at least one more decade has to be a more preferable option for OH Republicans. Basically once those deep blue west Cleveland precincts are out of the way, you can easily put Akron in with red areas, and you end up with 1 Safe D and 1 Safe R seat rather than the 2 tossup seats that are being proposed in this thread.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 02:38:26 AM »

Given the fact that a vulnerable west Cleveland seat seems unavoidable, I see no reason to not just keep the Toledo to West Cleveland sink and that means Akron can't support a competitive seat anymore either, and thus Ryan would be DoA. Keeping a competitive seat in NE Ohio gives Ryan a chance to return, keeping the Toledo sink for at least one more decade has to be a more preferable option for OH Republicans. Basically once those deep blue west Cleveland precincts are out of the way, you can easily put Akron in with red areas, and you end up with 1 Safe D and 1 Safe R seat rather than the 2 tossup seats that are being proposed in this thread.
the snake by the lake can't remain

And most of the West Cleveland maps where you split Cuyahoga in 3 in this board are putting Lakewood with the district when Lakewood should really go with the Cleveland "sink" in either a fair map/GOP map. You can get the district to around Trump +9 with some just moderate tinkering.

Gonzalez lives in Rocky River, Lakewood basically has to go with Gonzales' seat, unless you're splitting Fairview Park and splitting such a small town makes no sense for this purpose.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 02:00:18 PM »

I needed to correct some population errors that I found in my spreadsheet, but this Pub light gerrymander map is actually a pretty good map to my eyes (e.g., the populations work out very well to facilitate clean lines, particularly in NE Ohio), outside of the partisan location of the cut into Hamilton, and of course switching out of Fairfield from OH-15 to OH-12, which snatches a CD away from the Dems, unless the Trump malaise in the Columbus area keeps the Dem trends going out into the future. But for a few years, it should do the trick for them.

I am sure that Columbus tri-cuts are illegal under the rules
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 05:39:41 PM »

Fair-ish map I guess, more of a very light GOP gerrymander, but whatever

https://davesredistricting.org/join/f0acdedc-4596-44d7-8ae1-bd171342fecc

I think the possibility of a Franklin/Delaware seat is underrated especially since Democrats can push for a commission if they don't get the concessions that they want, and it's tough to justify tri cuts of Franklin for any reason other than partisanship, when you can get neat cuts like this.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 09:31:07 PM »

No way the Ohio Supreme Court would allow only 2 seats for Democrats.

Yeah I think at a minimum you need to cede the Cincinnati seat and you probably need at least 1 more along the lakefront (either Kaptur's seat or an Akron based one), and that's to say nothing of say a possible North Franklin-Delaware seat or something.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »

Honestly a pretty fair map imo
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »

It's not like the map isn't going to end up in court anyways, so I'm not really sure what they gain from doing this.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 09:50:44 PM »

Because they plan on suing in court to get a map that is more compliant with the rules?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 09:54:26 PM »

Because they plan on suing in court to get a map that is more compliant with the rules?
Ok but the court will likely be more pro-gerrymandering post 2022 and republicans will make an even more egregious map in 2026 and the courts won't strike that down

Maybe Dems try to get an actual commission on the ballot in the meantime?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies