Parents Forcing You To Go To A Certain School? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:34:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Parents Forcing You To Go To A Certain School? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Parents Forcing You To Go To A Certain School?  (Read 1784 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: August 14, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »
« edited: August 14, 2008, 07:06:04 PM by Torie »

Show your parents the data that class size has nothing to do with the quality of the education (unless you get down to about 12 students or so), and then ask them what the real reason is that they want you to go to this school. Tell them that to have a productive dialog, both sides have to lay their cards face up on the table. After your parents recover from their shock, and ask who is "coaching you" (you can tell them your lawyer is Grin), maybe you will make more progress. Are you getting good grades?  Also tell them you want to set up an appointment with the principal of the public school for them. Get the principal of the charter school to tell your parents that it is a mistake to make you stay there against your will. Talk to the principal of the charter school yourself to make your case, and explain your reasons, and get him or her on your side. (The too much work thing worries me; there is never too much work! You aren't trying to just laze out are you?)

By the way, my parents let me choose my schools. Whatever I wanted was OK. In high school, I got my Dad to write out about 30 excuse slips at once for my first class (a biology class), because I told him that the teacher knew only about 50% of what was in the dumbed down textbook, and I was getting bored with correcting his errors in class, and I thought it best for both myself and my teacher that I make myself more relatively scarce. The bio teacher at one point asked if I were having medical problems, and I said yes, of a psychological kind, and was in therapy. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 09:42:43 PM »

I'm emphasize the AP classes - make sure that they know that some of them count for college credit, and they'd just plain help you get into a better college easier. Also, make sure they know that AP classes tend to have smaller class sizes since those are a concern to them.

I went through public school and I never felt the class sizes were too much. That tends to only be a problem in more urban schools.

Good advice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies