Most successful two term President since FDR?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:50:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most successful two term President since FDR?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who was the most successful two term President since FDR?
Harry Truman (1949-1953 term)

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1957-1961 term)

Lyndon B. Johnson (1965-1969 term)

Richard M. Nixon (1973-1974 term)

Ronald Reagan (1985-1989 term)

Bill Clinton (1997-2001 term)

George W. Bush (2005-2009 term)

Barack Obama (2012-present term)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Most successful two term President since FDR?  (Read 4292 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »

That is just being picky.  He was essentially co-president from 1961-1963.

Oh, really?  The historical record would disagree with you.

Ok then.  If we are going to be this picky about it, I would have to say Reagan.  He was probably the only "two term" President since FDR that got most everything he wanted and it was a half Democratic Congress at that. 

What's being picky about saying that LBJ wasn't "co-president" from 1961 to 1963? Seems like a pretty clear statement of fact.

Ill conced the point about that part.  Its the part where people try to label Truman and LBJ as non two term Presidents that I think people are being too picky on. 
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »

Voted Clinton, but on second thought I should have voted Reagan. If immigration reform passes, foreign policy continues to be a success, the economy gets better and if he is scandal free we might be saying Obama within 10 years.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »

Voted Clinton, but on second thought I should have voted Reagan. If immigration reform passes, foreign policy continues to be a success, the economy gets better and if he is scandal free we might be saying Obama within 10 years.

The fact that Clinton couldnt get healthcare reform through is what puts Reagan ahead of him in my view. 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »

Ill conced the point about that part.  Its the part where people try to label Truman and LBJ as non two term Presidents that I think people are being too picky on. 

Truman became President 3 months after the start of the term; LBJ took office nearly 3 years in.  There's a difference, if you can appreciate it.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »

Truman became President 3 months after the start of the term; LBJ took office nearly 3 years in.  There's a difference, if you can appreciate it.

I do appreciate it. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »

I do appreciate it. 

Also Truman was not subject to the 22nd Amendment, so he was never a lame duck president in the sense that term is used today.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »

That is just being picky.  He was essentially co-president from 1961-1963.

Oh, really?  The historical record would disagree with you.

Ok then.  If we are going to be this picky about it, I would have to say Reagan.  He was probably the only "two term" President since FDR that got most everything he wanted and it was a half Democratic Congress at that. 

What's being picky about saying that LBJ wasn't "co-president" from 1961 to 1963? Seems like a pretty clear statement of fact.

It is not.

LBJ had little power under Kennedy, hence why he hated being VP. If anyone can be called 'co-president" in those years it was Bobby Kennedy.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »

Eisenhower. Probably the best of the lot. He stayed off the McCarthy bandwagon, stood with the Supreme Court on desegregation, got the Interstate Highway system started, had no scandals. He could have done nothing to stop the rise of Fidel Castro. He left the budget in good shape.

His VP almost got elected in 1960 against a strong opponent, and Nixon would have won the election over Kennedy if he had been more photogenic.

LBJ would be top except for the War in Vietnam.  Reagan had Iran-Contra, which may have had ramifications in Saddam Hussein invading Kuwait.  Clinton deftly avoided disastrous wars and kept surpluses paying off the national debt.

Nixon resorted to political backstabbing and the people that he tried to ruin politically ended his Presidency early. 

George W. Bush was an absolute, unqualified disaster. The only defense that  one can have with him is that one agrees with his political beliefs -- which is something that many liberals can say about Jimmy Carter, too.   
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 06:14:38 AM »

Voted Ike.  As others have said, LBJ is weighted down by Vietnam.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »

Reagan, duh.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »

Some of these aren't really two-term presidents.  Truman, Johnson, and Nixon did not serve two full terms.  (Of those, I think Johnson was the most successful.)  Obama has not yet served two full terms.  That leaves only four two-term presidents.  I think that all were moderately successful.  Reagan was the most successful--cold war, Reaganomics, partial dismantling of the welfare state, GOP/conservative movement renaissance, Star Wars, nuclear weapons reductions, increased defense spending ("peace through strength"), tax reform, etc., were all powerful legacies.   I don't think I'd have done all those things, or wanted them, but it was an astoundingly successful attempt to change the national priorities, or direction of the country's policies.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »

Eisenhower.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »

Man, I miss the '90s, especially the late '90s. Clinton. The more time that elapses the more that time grows fonder in my mind.

Boom, stability, and relative peace. That's all you can want.

The Soviet Union collapsed under its own weight and Reagan's second term saw little but scandals. And I vaguely remember a rather topsy-turvy economic climate in the late '80s.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies