Have you fully read a religious text? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:02:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Have you fully read a religious text? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How much of your religion's sacred text (or that of another religion) have you read? And did they "speak" to you?
All of it - more than once

All of it - once

Most of it

Some of it

None of it

Yes, they "spoke" to me

No, they did not "speak" to me

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Have you fully read a religious text?  (Read 7475 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: May 13, 2017, 12:29:36 AM »

No, but I want to change that soon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:30:58 AM »

Which religious text(s) are you wanting to read? Are you trying to become more religious or just satiate curiosity?

It wouldn't make sense for me not to start with the Bible. It's the single most influential work of the culture I grew up into, and as such it's already shaped my thinking to a considerable extent. I'd like to broaden my scope to other faiths later, but there is only right place to start.

As for why, I'm not entirely sure how I'd put it myself. "Satiate curiosity" sounds a bit shallow, but I can't honestly say I'm becoming religious in any sense of the word. Mainly, I'm looking for guides to help me think deeper about a number of issues, especially regarding morality. I've gotten a lot of fascinating insights from studying secular moral philosophy, but there's something about it that I've found missing - I'm not quite sure what.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »

Which religious text(s) are you wanting to read? Are you trying to become more religious or just satiate curiosity?

It wouldn't make sense for me not to start with the Bible. It's the single most influential work of the culture I grew up into, and as such it's already shaped my thinking to a considerable extent. I'd like to broaden my scope to other faiths later, but there is only right place to start.

As for why, I'm not entirely sure how I'd put it myself. "Satiate curiosity" sounds a bit shallow, but I can't honestly say I'm becoming religious in any sense of the word. Mainly, I'm looking for guides to help me think deeper about a number of issues, especially regarding morality. I've gotten a lot of fascinating insights from studying secular moral philosophy, but there's something about it that I've found missing - I'm not quite sure what.

I think I know what you mean. It's almost like there's only so far you can go with secular philosophy, yet a part of you demands more because it doesn't feel like that's all there is to this world or philosophy. At the same time, you can't logically or emotionally make (or necessarily want to make) that leap to religiosity/god. That's my current conundrum as well :/

Glad I'm not the only one in this situation. It's pretty awkward (especially when I try to explain it to non-religious people who don't have this issue), but I definitely feel like I'm making some progress.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:02:13 AM »

I can relate to a lot of that. I went through a phase of near-complete disinterest for religion for most of my teenage years (although thankfully I was never antireligious), but since then I've felt my personality change in significant ways. I used to be very introverted and rational, but starting with my year in San Francisco I've started experiencing much more intense emotions, and I've felt an increasing need for social times. Concurrently, I've found it much more urgent to find a meaningful, coherent and unambiguous set of criteria for distinguishing right from wrong, and as I said I couldn't find it in any strand of secular philosophy.

When I did begin to acquaint myself with theological concepts, I could see that they provided exactly what I was lacking. I've even tried to appropriate some of them, and try to use them as building blocs for how I try to think of things. But still, without faith as the cornerstone of all this, it feels forced and shallow - or even like an imposture or a mockery. And I know I don't have faith, and probably never will. It's not even a matter of rational belief - I actually think the existence of God is perfectly plausible, and absolutely compatible with a rational, empirical mindset. I don't know what it's about, but it's probably emotional.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful that I can do something valuable with this yearning, though I'm not yet sure what. We can try figuring it out together.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 01:48:15 AM »

Antonio, since you live in LA, you should check out Grace Community Church in Los Angeles.  The pastor there (John MacArthur) is phenomenal, and he does a great job explaining the Bible, verse-by-verse, if you are interested in delving deep theologically.  The pastor also runs a seminary where my pastor completed his doctoral degree (The Master's Seminary).

I've actually been considering trying to see if I could start involving myself with a church. If I do, I want be serious about it, so I first want to think carefully and figure out if it really makes sense.

I've looked up Grace Community Church, and unfortunately it's very far from where I live (remember LA is an immense sprawl), so I don't think I could make that work. I'm thinking of looking first into churches in my neighborhood. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I really appreciate it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »

The need to feel connected and part of a community is a big part of what I'm looking for, yeah. It would definitely make sense given how things have been changing for me lately. Although there's also something intimidating about social connectedness and I still have to figure out if it's the right thing for me. I can elaborate by PM if you want.

I haven't come across these works, no. I'd love to look into them when I have some time, though I still need to start with the Bible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies