BREAKING: US has traded Russian arms dealer, Viktor Bout (Merchant of Death) for Brittney Griner (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:55:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: US has traded Russian arms dealer, Viktor Bout (Merchant of Death) for Brittney Griner (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support this prisoner swap?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (O)

No (O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: BREAKING: US has traded Russian arms dealer, Viktor Bout (Merchant of Death) for Brittney Griner  (Read 8689 times)
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« on: December 10, 2022, 05:44:10 PM »

Bout has already served 2/3rds of his sentence, it’s not like he’s getting away with no punishment.

Nowhere near 2/3rds, less than half. The Thais arrested him in March 2008, he was extradited to the US in August 2010 and in November 2011 convicted and sentenced to 25 years' imprisonment, that's only 11 years ago. So he was arrested 14.5 years ago and extradited 12 1/3 years ago. The time he spent in prison in Thailand doesn't count as part of his American sentence.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 05:54:50 PM »

As for me? I opposed releasing one civilian, whether they're a basketball player, even king/queen of the (W)NBA, whatever, in exchange for this highly dangerous arms dealer we captured with great difficulty.

Had you ever previously heard of this guy about whom you have such strong opinions now?

Bout was one of the most famous arms dealers of the 20th century, a major international criminal and a legendary villain with movies and books made about him, once nearly as famous as Pablo Escobar. Maybe young people don't know his name, but he's not exactly some random criminal. I was shocked when I heard they'd agreed to swap him for Griner, I've got nothing against Griner but she's not remotely in the same league. 
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 07:26:25 PM »

Does that matter though? If we were getting an arms dealer back instead it would be an ok trade?

no, Bout supplied terrorists and should never have been released, ideally they should have had him killed in prison. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies