Improved Democratic Nomination (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:35:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Improved Democratic Nomination (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with the two propositions ?
Yes

No

Don't Know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Improved Democratic Nomination  (Read 3874 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: December 15, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »

Replace caucuses with open primaries -with the sole exception of Iowa.  Also, adopt the rotating regional primary system.

Otherwise, I don't really see much else that needs to be improved.  I like our proportional pledged delegate system (as opposed to the GOP's winner-take-all approach), and the super-delegates serve to prevent unelectables from winning the nomination (and it usually works).  Though I am open to reducing their numbers somewhat.  

An unmentioned problem with a rotating primary or other date changes is who would pay for it. Many states like IL use the date of the legislative/congressional primary as the date for the presidential primary. States don't like to shift their main primary date as it affects the whole state election calendar from filing petitions to post election certification. Moving the presidential primary would force the state to have two primaries at twice the cost to the counties that conduct the election. What is the source of those extra funds for the counties?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies