What the hell is so inspiring about Obama anyway? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:35:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What the hell is so inspiring about Obama anyway? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What the hell is so inspiring about Obama anyway?  (Read 4535 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« on: March 23, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »

I'm still not convinced. His campaign still distorts facts (check out Factcheck.org), I don't know if he ever raised the issue of the comments with the preacher before it became wide public knowledge and he only got into the Senate by virtue of a good speech and the GOP in Illinois self-destructing.

I've endorsed Barack Obama and I've never been one to bestow endorsements willy-nilly. Never has an endorsement been so half-hearted as mine was for John Kerry in 2004 and that was essentially because he wasn't George W Bush

I, originally, had endorsed Hillary Clinton but was forced to withdraw it three days before the South Carolina Democratic primary - and you can essentially blame Bill but I didn't endorse Obama straight away. It was a matter that required much thought but having, ultimately, decided to endorse him I've no regrets

Come November, I will be endorsing the Democratic presidential nominee either with much enthusiasm or a nose-peg. Endorsing John McCain is, frankly, out of the question. Bush has been that abysmal and the sooner CLOSURE is brought down on that most wretched of men, the better Smiley and I've little confidence in McCain relative to either Obama or Clinton, who, unlike McCain, are not conservative Republicans

McCain's shifting position on the Bush tax cuts; not to mention his ever shifting rationale for his opposing them has convinced me he just likes to have his bread buttered on both sides. Of course, he is simply pandering to his party's conservative base, which is, in itself, understandable. But 'Strait Talk Express'? That's a laugh!

This, essentially, sums up my endorsement of Barack Obama:

The President of the United States and Leader of the Free World should command respect, not ridicule and contempt. The goodwill that was extended to America in the wake of 9/11 has all but dissipated. Bush could have provided EFFECTIVE global leadership on a range of issues but no. It had to be his way or the high way. The man is so stubborn that he just doesn't listen. Hell, he's never made a mistake. He has weakened America, not strengthened it

The one thing that resonates with me about Obama is that when he talks 'change', he candidly says that it isn't going to be easy and that mistakes will be made along the way. Such humility will put him in very good stead Smiley

If Obama wins the Democratic nomination and is elected president, America's standing in the world WILL rise once more. It's not about being loved or feared, it's about RESPECT. You mark my words Smiley. Because I can bet my last pound that he'll be working his ass off making progress towards a new era of peace and prosperity from day one

But given the mess President Obama is sure to inherit from that grossly incompetent Republican incumbent, I'm playing a low expectations game

Whether a President Obama will, ultimately, leave me feeling disappointed, I don't know, but I won't be cutting him a any slack in that if he needs a kick up the arse, he is jolly well going to get it

I cannot be any fairer than that Smiley

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 04:33:26 PM »

Inspiring? More like phony. If you want a president that makes you believe in cliches like "Yes we can", just vote for one of those motivational self-help speakers you see on TV. What evidence is there that he can deliver a "new" kind of politics? None whatsoever.

People talk about Hillary's "ambition". But when Obama began running for president right after being elected to his first senate term, I see ambition as well as arrogance.

Yet in Obama, I see unassuming modesty Smiley. In Clinton, however, I sense a sense of entitlement as though the Democratic Party's presidential nomination is hers as of right. Now that is something I find immensely unattractive. Throughout this campaign, Obama has conducted himself with utmost dignity (one or two of his advisers have not) while Clinton has had to resort to tears, sarcasm and belittling Obama

The involvement of Bill Clinton too has irked me he has been intensely involved in his wife's campaign. He, if anything, as a former president, should have kept right out of it waiting until after the Democratic National Convention to come out swinging with gusto for his party's eventual nominee, no matter who wins

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »

Inspiring? More like phony. If you want a president that makes you believe in cliches like "Yes we can", just vote for one of those motivational self-help speakers you see on TV. What evidence is there that he can deliver a "new" kind of politics? None whatsoever.

People talk about Hillary's "ambition". But when Obama began running for president right after being elected to his first senate term, I see ambition as well as arrogance.

Yet in Obama, I see unassuming modesty Smiley. In Clinton, however, I sense a sense of entitlement as though the Democratic Party's presidential nomination is hers as of right.

Look at the history on tradesports, Dem Hawk. She was considered the frontrunner for the 2008 nomination as soon as John Kerry lost. She never had a 'sense of entitlement' but she did have a correct sense that she had a very good shot at the nomination, better than anyone else. And so did 80% of the people on this board late last year. That's not a 'sense of entitlement', thats just being true to the facts. As Addison DeWitt says in All About Eve, "We all come into the world equipped with our little egos and horns. Not blowing your horn is just as false as blowing it too loudly."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, it shows she's human, at least. As far as humor goes to jab at their opponent, both candidates have used it, not just Hillary. If she had not had those things, people would be saying she's a robot who is completely distant and unknowable.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well I think it was the way he became involved as much as his involvement at all... but except for a very, very brief few days before South Carolina, his role has been greatly exaggerated.

Nevertheless, I've developed a pretty grim opinion of the Clinton's. It pains me to say that and God knows I wish in my heart I felt otherwise. In time, I dare say I can but, right now, it's darn near impossible Sad. That time will once Obama or Clinton wins the nomination fair and square

In McCain, the Republicans are running the best they possibly could be running in 2008; while things on the Democratic are yet to be settled. It's frustrating Sad

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 07:36:34 PM »

and hes more inspiring than McCain will ever be....though its not hard since hes about as inspiring as a bag of rocks.

The fact that you are not inspired by a great man and honorable Senator who spent six years in a POW camp after being captured serving our country is truly sad.

McCain has a pretty inspiring personal story to tell due to the fact that he served six years as a POW but I'm not remotely inspired politically by McCain; certainly not after eight years of George W Bush

Why couldn't McCain have won his party's nomination in 2000? Bush smears circulating around South Carolina can't have helped

Pity Republicans "weren't inspired by a great man and honorable Senator who spent six years in a POW camp after being captured serving our country" then. Now that's sad

Dave
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies