Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:36:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 342173 times)
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« on: November 10, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »

any insights on riggleman?
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 08:44:54 PM »

terry mcauliffe has already ruled out  a Biden administration post. He is running for sure.

I was going to ask you if you heard rumors about him on the ground. If I was on his team I would no doubt be telling him to run. As a republican, I'm not thrilled because I know what it means for our chances in the race. But clearly he should run.
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »

I'm sure T-Mac is drinking rum right now to celebrate.

he was easily favored to win but this just about kills the Gov race competitiveness, assuming she follows through.
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 11:38:43 PM »

What's the process to change the rule to allow governors to serve 2 consecutive terms? Is a majority in state assembly alone is enough to change the rule? Or do you need a super majority?
It would require amending the state constitution. There is no supermajority requirement, but it's not just passing a law.

Both houses of the state legislature need to approve a proposed amendment by simple majority. That automatically refers it to the session after the next general election. If the state legislature approves it again, it goes to the voters to vote on directly. If they approve it then it's in the constitution.

I actually dig this amendment process. Has there been any talk about modifying the governorship?
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 03:31:06 PM »

Democrats are favored either way but in good and bad news for Democrats Amanda Chase will be seeking the Republican nomination for Governor instead of running as an independent.

Can she beat Kirk Cox?
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 01:02:43 AM »

Democrats are favored either way but in good and bad news for Democrats Amanda Chase will be seeking the Republican nomination for Governor instead of running as an independent.

Can she beat Kirk Cox?
Tt's possible.  Ken Cuccinelli and E.W. Jackson were both nominated through conventions so I think it could very well happen that she is nominated but then again with things like her being kicked out of a county party maybe she won't.

And I still think even against Kirk Cox that JCF or McAufflie would be favored

yeah it seems to me like any dem would be favored.

I just don't want to be embarrassed.
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »

Pete Snyder: businessman, active in GOP politics, founded the "Virginia 30 day fund" for loans to small businesses, outspoken on opening back up schools.   Seems he could have a good chance for the nomination if he jumps in.
He was the odds-on favorite for Lt. Governor in 2013, but then the convention delegates heard EW Jackson give a speech about Lighting a Flame for Liberty or some such, and flocked to him instead. He had these little plastic torches or candles.

I voted against him in all 4 rounds because I knew he'd be general election poison, but the nature of these things is that they only attract die-hards and crazy people. Because nobody else wants to spend an entire Saturday in some arena while they try to count votes.

So I'd say Amanda Chase's odds are pretty good with that crowd.

Chase was convinced she couldn't win if it went to convention.  Plus her threat to run third-party I think will not sit well with people either.

yea, can someone explain this to me? It seems to me that a convention plays to her advantage so why would she have thought it was an attempt to torpedo her campaign?
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 11:52:39 AM »

The gop will win if

1) Lee Carter or Justin Fairfax are the nominees

And/or

2) schools remain closed or covid restrictions are enhanced.

1. Maybe.

2. No.

I'd say maybe and maybe, no? only so far restrictions can be pushed. I'm not going to argue there's a scenario where republicans are the favorite but i'd assume these two scenarios are some of the closest  we'd get to having our shot. Especially with Cox/Snyder/Youngkin as the nominee
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies