Do you support or oppose the legalization of prostitution? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:51:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support or oppose the legalization of prostitution? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Support all the way

Support with conditions

Oppose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Do you support or oppose the legalization of prostitution?  (Read 8739 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 22, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »

The defacto situation in the US is that it's legal and safe for wealthy, smart, internet-savvy people (both prostitutes and johns alike), and illegal and risky for all others. I tend to support this dynamic with the following goals designed for demand reduction:

1) Schools should facilitate the development of good workout habits and form as a teenager. How many people lifting consistently since age 15 end up resorting to hookers to get laid? Probably zero.
2) Development of social skills. Society tends to encourage the enhancement of GABA neurotransmitters in order to gain the courage to talk to people you're sexually attracted to. This is a mediocre approach because enhancing GABA has horrible rebound/side effects and may not necessarily accomplish what you want to accomplish (social efficacy). You're much better off making your serotonin neurons release large amounts of serotonin, and catalyzing what you learn/feel into normal brain-chemistry state. But that being said, the more in-shape, socially functional straight men we have, the less demand there will be for prostituition.

What a terrible post.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 12:45:27 PM »

Your posts as of late haven't been much better.

I'm sure I'm devastated that you think so.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:15:38 PM »

Support. Most of modern American heterosexual dating culture is glorified prostitution with a stifling Puritan/Victorian veneer anyways.
wat

I'm not convinced he's wrong, but one man's modus ponens is another's modus tollens, et cetera.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 12:38:36 AM »

Support. Most of modern American heterosexual dating culture is glorified prostitution with a stifling Puritan/Victorian veneer anyways.
wat

I'm not convinced he's wrong, but one man's modus ponens is another's modus tollens, et cetera.

He's categorically wrong. Women most likely to have causal sex with a string of different dates are also the most likely to pay their own way on a date. If anyone is exchanging sex for money, it's conservative marriage minded woman who are trying to find a breadwinner.

I'm not primarily thinking of money as the object of exchange here.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »

wat

He's categorically wrong. Women most likely to have causal sex with a string of different dates are also the most likely to pay their own way on a date. If anyone is exchanging sex for money, it's conservative marriage minded woman who are trying to find a breadwinner.

I'm not primarily thinking of money as the object of exchange here.

What then? I'm genuinely curious.

Young people, at least in my part of the country, seem to actually date more, not less, than young people apparently used to, yet there's immense pressure to make a relationship sexual almost immediately, such that I have known couples where both partners actually want to wait but rush into sex anyway because each believes that the other expects them to put out. The sex--at least in relationships that I've seen, many of which have gone so disastrously as to destroy friend groups within weeks--becomes transactional in and of itself, being itself used as a form of currency to communicate social and emotional capital that can't be reliably communicated in other ways. It's, for once, less a casual sex thing than a 'people are constantly, more or less openly on the take from one another and use being in a sexual relationship as a means to 'pay back' forms of caring and gratitude that they don't know how to mediate any other way' thing. Which has some of the same fundamental moral problems with it as prostitution, although it's obviously not legally or sociologically equivalent. I'm sure this isn't what Derpist meant by his initial post, but I don't really care.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies