Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:59:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 262106 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 23, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »

"bipartisan"

Trying to flip the senate

Lmao media 10/10.

They’ll stop when Daines unveils his new bipartisan bill

https://riponadvance.com/stories/daines-prepares-bipartisan-bill-to-provide-pandemic-relief-to-small-businesses-local-lenders/
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #401 on: November 23, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »

What would we do without leaders like Senator Daines? The people of Montana are truly blessed.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #402 on: November 23, 2020, 10:34:55 PM »

If D's assume the majority DURBIN will be Chairman of Judiciary and usher in DC Statehood, victory
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2020, 08:51:23 AM »

The Democrats won't win these Seats - Period!

Biden has realized this already by thus far nominating "Safe Picks" to his Cabinet who can sail through the Senate without too much Republican Opposition. That tells me that he doesn't believe that they will win both Seats.

Even if the Democrats win both seats, they'll have a very narrow control of the Senate. Biden has better things to do with his time than push potentially controversial Cabinet picks through even a marginally Democratic Senate.
SCNCmod

« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2020, 10:26:22 AM »

If D's assume the majority DURBIN will be Chairman of Judiciary and usher in DC Statehood, victory

DC is a bit more complicated for various reasons... But I think it's crazy that there is any debate regarding Puerto Rico's right to statehood.  For a long time now, Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state seemed to be almost a foregone conclusion (long before it became such a politicized issue).

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »

DC is a bit more complicated for various reasons... But I think it's crazy that there is any debate regarding Puerto Rico's right to statehood.  For a long time now, Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state seemed to be almost a foregone conclusion (long before it became such a politicized issue).

The fact that it's a US territory and not a state is so ridiculous. It has every right to be a state.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #406 on: November 24, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »

Except that Puerto Ricans are very divided on the issue, you have those who want independance, those who want to keep the statu quo and those who want to become a state.

At the moment no opinion is majoritarian so the situation is gridlocked
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #407 on: November 24, 2020, 12:34:01 PM »

Except that Puerto Ricans are very divided on the issue, you have those who want independance, those who want to keep the statu quo and those who want to become a state.

The option for statehood in PR is majoritarian twice in a row, although not supermajoritarian.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #408 on: November 24, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »

52-48 is a majority. That should be good enough, but one party doesn't want to create a state that might vote Democratic, and that is literally the entire reason given by the current president and senate majority leader.

Never mind that it would probably be a swing-ish state, especially with Trump's gains with Latinos, and it's not clear whether the anti-statehood people (who are mostly Democratic) would be able to drop all of that opposition, get candidates together, and mobilize their voters. It's quite plausible that Puerto Rico sends two Republicans to the Senate at first and eventually settles into a blue-leaning purple state later.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #409 on: November 24, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »

Democrats really need to figure out a message for these runoffs.

Republicans have it easy, they can just say that the elites will defund the police and murder your children if Democrats win this runoffs.

Democrats need to figure out a way to message that effectively energizes the base without stooping as low as the GOP in their attacks. Frankly, the average voters, the voters need to turnout to win don't know who Mitch McConnel, and even if they do, they don't really understand how the system works; what's at stakes in these runoffs.

If Democrats continue to go at the pace their going; spending tons of money on ads that don't convince anyone of anything , they'll lose. This is about turnout and they actively NEED to engage as many voters as possible; get people aware, register people to vote, and so on. As someone else pointed out elsewhere, Republican turnout in GA was actually higher than Democratic turnout despite Biden winning GA. They have the votes to win. They just need to activate them. We only have until December 7th to register voters though; after that, we have to turn out as many of them as possible.
T0rM3nTeD
Rookie
United States

« Reply #410 on: November 24, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »

Early voting info is up on electproject for the runoff. Can't put a link, so I'll post a broken one.

h ttps://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/GA_RO.html
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #411 on: November 24, 2020, 04:19:55 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #412 on: November 24, 2020, 05:04:59 PM »

Biden has realized this already by thus far nominating "Safe Picks" to his Cabinet who can sail through the Senate without too much Republican Opposition. That tells me that he doesn't believe that they will win both Seats.

I still believe that if Republicans win one or both runoffs in Georgia, no nominee of his will get a hearing in the Senate.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #413 on: November 24, 2020, 05:06:33 PM »

This but ironically
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #414 on: November 24, 2020, 05:42:37 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-democrats-door-to-door-canvassing-senate-races

This is good news.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #415 on: November 24, 2020, 08:57:52 PM »

I still believe that if Republicans win one or both runoffs in Georgia, no nominee of his will get a hearing in the Senate.
This is quite stupid on your behalf. Of Course guys like Anthony Blinken will get a Hearing no matter what.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #416 on: November 24, 2020, 09:06:13 PM »

It may not matter. Republicans are supercharged now and contrary to what every liberal is saying here African American Turnout will not be deciding factor in my view.

It will come to the White Suburban Voters particularly White Suburban Women who grew sour on Trump in the Atlanta Suburbs like Cobb County and voted for Biden on Nov 3. Many are Republicans and I can't imagine that they would give the Biden Administration a Bank Check for everything.

Also, as Chuck Todd alluded to during the NBC Election Night Coverage the Democratic Candidates need at least 30 % of the White Vote to win Statewide. Bill Clinton got 32 % (WON), Biden got excatly 30 % (WON), Clinton got 21 % (LOST), Abrams got 25 (LOST). I don't Obama 2008 & 2012 Numbers for now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #417 on: November 24, 2020, 09:11:09 PM »

It may not matter. Republicans are supercharged now and contrary to what every liberal is saying here African American Turnout will not be deciding factor in my view.

Are they? It seems like they're pretty deflated and irreparably split on whether or not the whole 2020 election was fake.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #418 on: November 24, 2020, 09:14:05 PM »

Are they? It seems like they're pretty deflated and irreparably split on whether or not the whole 2020 election was fake.

There's a good chunk of Rs who are supercharged and will show up for the runoff in their last attempt to prevent a D trifecta, but there are also probably some who are dissapointed Trump lost and don't feel the need to vote now. The inverse can be said for Democrats; some are really excited Biden won and want to give him the trifecta, while others are just happy to have knocked Trump out. The real question is which group is more relevant on either side.
compucomp

« Reply #419 on: November 24, 2020, 09:17:55 PM »

Then Biden pulls a Trump and puts in place some hack to serve as acting secretary. I think the Republicans would lose that game so they'll let "reasonable" appointees through.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #420 on: November 24, 2020, 09:19:04 PM »

Then Biden pulls a Trump and puts in place some hack to serve as acting secretary. I think the Republicans would lose that game so they'll let "reasonable" appointees through.

Wouldn't it be nuts if he got Pelosi to help him dissolve Congress and recess appoint his cabinet? That would be funny I think
Junior Chimp

« Reply #421 on: November 24, 2020, 10:19:36 PM »

No, they ain't. They know what's at stake!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #422 on: November 24, 2020, 10:32:35 PM »

You do. But what about all the Republicans who think the election is rigged and there's no point in voting? And conversely, what about all the Republican who are mortified by Trump's refusal to concede and by Lqeffler/Perdue's enabling of it?

The Democratic path is much more straightforward - just get a good turnout from a united bunch. Republicans have to thread a needle through a bunch of wide, diverse and in some cases diametrically opposed groups who are either despondent about Trump's loss, or about Trump's reaction to his loss.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #423 on: November 25, 2020, 03:18:34 AM »

And conversely, what about all the Republican who are mortified by Trump's refusal to concede and by Lqeffler/Perdue's enabling of it?

Ha
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #424 on: November 25, 2020, 03:25:40 AM »

The good thing about Filibuster reform is that you can apply it to certain types of legislation not to everything Schumer can eliminate the filibuster to DC and PR statehood but not apply to other pieces of legislation like weed legalization or Green New Deal, that's why Ds must win both races,😆😆😃
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies